LBS Prices

Newbikerlee

Jul 30, 2011
i have bought new tyres for my MTB, not being the most practical of lads, how much should a LBS charge me to put them on for me??

It shouldn't cost more than ten to fifteen bucks to have your tires installed, but sooner or later you'll want to learn how to do this yourself or you're SOL when you have a flat while out riding your bike alone, especially if it's mountain biking on trails that aren't close to roads and a ride home after a cell phone call.

Many shops will charge you to change tires but they'll teach you how it's done at the same time. If your shop doesn't do that then take the time to learn at a local bike maintenance class or through books or on line resources like:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/tire-and-inner-tube-replacement
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4ZQMRT12Sg

Good luck,
-Dave

The LBS that I frequent offers flat repair lessons a few times a season. The only thing is you need to bring along one of your wheels to practice repairing. All attendees are given a free patch kit. I am sure they are trying to sell tubes, tires and levers but what the heck you need them anyways. Try friending your LBS's on FB this is where they ussually advertise these types of things.

If none of your LBS offer those sessions that Davereo mentioned, you might also check with the cycling clubs in your area.

Sometimes they will have workshop sessions or tech sessions where routine maintenance items like flat repair, chain cleaning and lubrication, etc are taught.

Formal lessons are not necesary. Many mechanics are quite helpful. If you want to learn just take the wheel in to the shop and ask to be shown. They'll charge you this time and then you'll know how do do it for later. Then take it home and do it again yourself a few times so you're practised before you have a flat on the road.

This is the most necessary skill but is also the simplest.

Originally Posted by Newbikerlee .

i have bought new tyres for my MTB, not being the most practical of lads, how much should a LBS charge me to put them on for me??

Its a very handy thing to know how to do yourself, if you're lucky they might even give you a lesson.