LBS recommendations in Leicester

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tim Hall, Apr 4, 2006.

  1. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    A friend of mine is thinking of getting a new bike, probably a hybrid.
    I've done some googling on past threads on that subject, so hopefully
    we won't have to rehash the whole thing yet again.

    She's near Leicester and would like LBS recommendations. She'd rather
    buy from a shop than over the Interweb, so she can get to try the bike
    for size, which seems a Good Thing.

    She's heard of Webster's and Julies Cycles. Are these any good for
    what she wants? Her budget is 400 quid, riding is roads plus tourist
    type trails (Tissington Trail for example).

    Tim

    Tags:

  2. Pete Whelan

    Pete Whelan Guest

    Tim Hall wrote:
    > A friend of mine is thinking of getting a new bike, probably a hybrid.
    > I've done some googling on past threads on that subject, so hopefully
    > we won't have to rehash the whole thing yet again.
    >

    > She's near Leicester and would like LBS recommendations. She'd rather
    > buy from a shop than over the Interweb, so she can get to try the bike
    > for size, which seems a Good Thing.
    >
    > She's heard of Webster's and Julies Cycles. Are these any good for
    > what she wants? Her budget is 400 quid, riding is roads plus tourist
    > type trails (Tissington Trail for example).
    >

    > Tim

    Julies

    --
    "You can't see paradise if you don't pedal" (Fowler, Chicken Run)

  3. A.Lee

    A.Lee Guest

    Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:

    > A friend of mine is thinking of getting a new bike, probably a hybrid.....
    > She's near Leicester..
    > She's heard of Webster's and Julies Cycles. Are these any good for
    > what she wants? Her budget is 400 quid, riding is roads plus tourist
    > type trails

    Cyclops in Syston is a decent shop, though with a limited range.
    Julies will have the largest range of bikes, but they are rarely less
    the RRP, unless there is a sale on(thats the only time I go in there, as
    they are so expensive).
    Websters on London Rd is OK, a quite small range on show, but they do
    have some bargains from time to time.
    Other than those, any other LBS only carries the most basic bikes.
    Lutterworth Cycle Centre is OK, as is Pedal Power in Loughborough.

    Alan.

  4. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Tim Hall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > A friend of mine is thinking of getting a new bike, probably a hybrid.
    > I've done some googling on past threads on that subject, so hopefully
    > we won't have to rehash the whole thing yet again.
    >

    > She's near Leicester and would like LBS recommendations. She'd rather
    > buy from a shop than over the Interweb, so she can get to try the bike
    > for size, which seems a Good Thing.
    >
    > She's heard of Webster's and Julies Cycles. Are these any good for
    > what she wants? Her budget is 400 quid, riding is roads plus tourist
    > type trails (Tissington Trail for example).

    Julies, expensive but can have bargain sale bikes (obviously limits choice),
    generally good back up, maybe get them to throw in a few extras to make up
    for higher price. www.juliescycles.co.uk
    Websters, as already stated smaller range. Some members of staff extremely
    helpful, others less so.
    Lutterworth Cycle Centre, no personal experience but have heard good
    reports.
    www.rutlandcycling.co.uk/ Massive range and you might be able to test ride,
    certainly worth a visit if logistics allow as it can make an enjoyable day
    out.

    --
    Pete
    http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/Stuff

  5. A.Lee wrote:
    > Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> A friend of mine is thinking of getting a new bike, probably a
    >> hybrid..... She's near Leicester..
    >> She's heard of Webster's and Julies Cycles. Are these any good for
    >> what she wants? Her budget is 400 quid, riding is roads plus tourist
    >> type trails

    > Cyclops in Syston is a decent shop, though with a limited range.
    > Julies will have the largest range of bikes, but they are rarely less
    > the RRP, unless there is a sale on(thats the only time I go in there,
    > as they are so expensive).
    > Websters on London Rd is OK, a quite small range on show, but they do
    > have some bargains from time to time.
    > Other than those, any other LBS only carries the most basic bikes.
    > Lutterworth Cycle Centre is OK, as is Pedal Power in Loughborough.
    >
    > Alan.

    Beacon Cycles in Loughborough is run by some long-standing CTC people. Very
    helpful, and have more bikes than you might think from outside. The bike
    places on Rutland Water have an immense selection, particularly the North
    Shore.
    --

    Martin Bulmer

  6. wheelist

    wheelist New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2005
    Tim, tell her to get down to Websters and ask for Martin or Zed.

    I lived in Leicester for 10 years, and always found Websters to be the best shop in town (they actually partner with Environ on the city's Bike Park - below the Town Hall) - the shop is only small but they know what they're talking about (Alex, one of the brothers was an olympic road hopeful a few years back - and the whole family rides loads). They also do frame building - I've got one of their top end MTBs!

    Julies is okay, but it's not what I'd call an LBS - it just doesn't have that informal feeling - but it does seem to attract lots of families buying bikes for the kids.

    See if she can't find one of last year's models - she'll save a few pounds that way.

    By the way, I've just spotted this - the ultimate hybrid?!?

    Cheers,

    Steve

  7. Tim Hall <[email protected]> writed in
    news:[email protected]:

    > A friend of mine is thinking of getting a new bike, probably a hybrid.
    > I've done some googling on past threads on that subject, so hopefully
    > we won't have to rehash the whole thing yet again.
    >

    > She's near Leicester and would like LBS recommendations. She'd rather
    > buy from a shop than over the Interweb, so she can get to try the bike
    > for size, which seems a Good Thing.
    >
    > She's heard of Webster's and Julies Cycles. Are these any good for
    > what she wants? Her budget is 400 quid, riding is roads plus tourist
    > type trails (Tissington Trail for example).

    I'd go along with all the other comments - Websters are excellent and
    know what they are talking about.
    Although I go to Julies, I really do *not* like the place - the wannabe
    racer type staff seem to talk down to you, and the prices are simply
    uncompetetive.
    I really do like Beacon Cycles in Lobo, which someone else mentioned - if
    you are interested in touring, club-style riding, or utility cycling, I
    don't think the advice can be beaten, and they will order almost anything
    for you. Very, very helpful people, in a traditional bike shop.
    I've never been into the Lutterworth Cycle centre, but did have a bad
    mail-order experinece with them, which may, or may not be indicative.
    There's always the two Half...... - never mind...