LBS vs Learsport - good news

thebow

New Member
Sep 28, 2003
Hi,

I was down at my LBS getting my GF's MTB serviced and the conversation turned to Learsport and in particular their road bikes.

The owner admitted he just couldn't comptete with them on price but wasn't cool with some of their practices and lack of knowledge.

So much so that he is going to start doing the same thing - go to china, source parts on bulk etc and strat competing agressively to "crush organisations like learsport".

Reckons he'll be able to bring in a bike better specced for less if done right by the start of 2004 eg alu frame, carbon fork and seat stays +105 for under $1600.

So all in all looks like 2004 may be a good time to buy a road bike..I'm going to hang on for a couple of months and see how it all pans out.

it remains to be seen what the outcome is but it looks like the consumer may benefit..

Originally posted by thebow
Hi,

I was down at my LBS getting my GF's MTB serviced and the conversation turned to Learsport and in particular their road bikes.

The owner admitted he just couldn't comptete with them on price but wasn't cool with some of their practices and lack of knowledge.

So much so that he is going to start doing the same thing - go to china, source parts on bulk etc and strat competing agressively to "crush organisations like learsport".

Reckons he'll be able to bring in a bike better specced for less if done right by the start of 2004 eg alu frame, carbon fork and seat stays +105 for under $1600.

So all in all looks like 2004 may be a good time to buy a road bike..I'm going to hang on for a couple of months and see how it all pans out.

it remains to be seen what the outcome is but it looks like the consumer may benefit..

Sounds good, so long as the Aussie dollar doesn't tank...

Good to see someone has dissuaded you from this Learsport fetish you seem to have though!:D

raceline already do bikes competitive with learsport on price.

i saw a 105 raceline advertised in ride for $1350. yes, it was on special.

i agree, the people working there don't know much about bikes, except for maybe ben larsen in the sydney store. also, they don't help you get the right fit, i dont think there are any different stems and seat posts. the mechanics are cool though, even if they are just kids (heck, im one meself).

saying that, i'm on a budget and it works for me. the less time they spend on people the cheaper the prices.

M2cycler <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> raceline already do bikes competitive with learsport on price.
>
> i saw a 105 raceline advertised in ride for $1350. yes, it was on special.

bet this bike was not full 105. Probably generic cranks and breaks.

Good on Learpsport for offering a budget range.

Originally posted by Rickster
M2cycler <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> raceline already do bikes competitive with learsport on price.
>
> i saw a 105 raceline advertised in ride for $1350. yes, it was on special.

bet this bike was not full 105. Probably generic cranks and breaks.

Good on Learpsport for offering a budget range.

yes ur are right. they looked like truvativ cranks, not sure bout the brakes

Originally posted by Cletus75
Sounds good, so long as the Aussie dollar doesn't tank...

Good to see someone has dissuaded you from this Learsport fetish you seem to have though!:D

i am not cured, just back in the closet :) nothing is concrete and his plans may go belly up big-time.

Until then I have my crappy avanti super sprint and I am not sure if I want to ride it all sspring/summer. So I may give in to the dark side and get a lear8000 after all is said and done.