LC and weight lifting

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Mark McArthey, Feb 16, 2005.

  1. Hey all, it's been a while since I've posted here. I don't know the
    current feeling towards low carb diets, but a while back I had done a
    cyclic ketogenic diet before in conjunction with weight training per a
    diet/program detailed by Lyle McDonald (I've even got his book around
    here somewhere). Anyway, now that I'm doing straight LC I've found that
    my stamina is way down. My muscles burn sooner and it's harder to
    maintain the reps with heavy weights. It's been a while, but I recall
    seeing something about using Vanadyl Sulfate to aid in insulin uptake.
    Is this true, or still recommended?
    Any other ideas?
    Thanks for any help,
    Mark

    Tags:

  2. Lynne

    Lynne Guest

    Mark McArthey wrote:
    > Hey all, it's been a while since I've posted here. I don't know the
    > current feeling towards low carb diets, but a while back I had done a

    > cyclic ketogenic diet before in conjunction with weight training per

    > diet/program detailed by Lyle McDonald (I've even got his book around

    > here somewhere). Anyway, now that I'm doing straight LC I've found

    that
    > my stamina is way down. My muscles burn sooner and it's harder to
    > maintain the reps with heavy weights. It's been a while, but I

    recall
    > seeing something about using Vanadyl Sulfate to aid in insulin

    uptake.
    > Is this true, or still recommended?
    > Any other ideas?
    > Thanks for any help,
    > Mark

    I found that I felt VERY slow and stupid when I tried low carb. I don't
    think that I will try it again.

  3. Larry Hodges

    Larry Hodges Guest

    Mark McArthey wrote:
    > Hey all, it's been a while since I've posted here. I don't know the
    > current feeling towards low carb diets, but a while back I had done a
    > cyclic ketogenic diet before in conjunction with weight training per a
    > diet/program detailed by Lyle McDonald (I've even got his book around
    > here somewhere). Anyway, now that I'm doing straight LC I've found
    > that my stamina is way down. My muscles burn sooner and it's harder
    > to maintain the reps with heavy weights. It's been a while, but I
    > recall seeing something about using Vanadyl Sulfate to aid in insulin
    > uptake. Is this true, or still recommended?
    > Any other ideas?
    > Thanks for any help,
    > Mark

    Personally, I need carbs for fuel. I really drag if I don't get them. You
    just have to watch your calorie intake...that's what counts at the end of
    the day if you're losing or maintaining weight. And...enough protein.
    --
    -Larry

  4. elzinator

    elzinator Guest

    On 16 Feb 2005 08:37:08 -0800, Lynne wrote:

    >Mark McArthey wrote:
    >> Hey all, it's been a while since I've posted here. I don't know the
    >> current feeling towards low carb diets, but a while back I had done a

    >> cyclic ketogenic diet before in conjunction with weight training per

    >> diet/program detailed by Lyle McDonald (I've even got his book around

    >> here somewhere). Anyway, now that I'm doing straight LC I've found

    >that
    >> my stamina is way down. My muscles burn sooner and it's harder to
    >> maintain the reps with heavy weights. It's been a while, but I

    >recall
    >> seeing something about using Vanadyl Sulfate to aid in insulin

    >uptake.
    >> Is this true, or still recommended?
    >> Any other ideas?
    >> Thanks for any help,
    >> Mark

    Try a targeted keto diet: intake carbs just before training.

    >I found that I felt VERY slow and stupid when I tried low carb. I don't
    >think that I will try it again.

    THat tends to decrease over time. Usually about 4-8 days. There is an
    initial adaptation period while the brain adapts to using less glucose
    and greater ketones.

    ------------------------------
    Reality is an illusion created by an intelligence deficiency.

  5. Lynne

    Lynne Guest

    elzinator wrote:
    > On 16 Feb 2005 08:37:08 -0800, Lynne wrote:
    > >
    > >Mark McArthey wrote:
    > >> Hey all, it's been a while since I've posted here. I don't know

    the
    > >> current feeling towards low carb diets, but a while back I had

    done a

    > >> cyclic ketogenic diet before in conjunction with weight training

    per
    > >> diet/program detailed by Lyle McDonald (I've even got his book

    around

    > >> here somewhere). Anyway, now that I'm doing straight LC I've

    found
    > >that
    > >> my stamina is way down. My muscles burn sooner and it's harder to
    > >> maintain the reps with heavy weights. It's been a while, but I

    > >recall
    > >> seeing something about using Vanadyl Sulfate to aid in insulin

    > >uptake.
    > >> Is this true, or still recommended?
    > >> Any other ideas?
    > >> Thanks for any help,
    > >> Mark

    > Try a targeted keto diet: intake carbs just before training.
    >

    > >I found that I felt VERY slow and stupid when I tried low carb. I

    don't
    > >think that I will try it again.

    > THat tends to decrease over time. Usually about 4-8 days. There is an
    > initial adaptation period while the brain adapts to using less

    glucose
    > and greater ketones.

    Actually, I did it faithfully for about 2 months. It didn't decrease,
    it got worse. It was much easier to keep my body fat down that way, but
    I earn my living with my brain. My brain wasn't working very well. I
    wasn't very happy, either. I am not fond of donuts and sugar, but I do
    love whole grains. Life is about being happy, and I am happier and not
    in a dense fog if I have whole grain bread (I make it myself) in the
    morning.

    But hey, if you like LC and it works for you, go with it and be happy.

  6. elzinator

    elzinator Guest

    Lynne wrote:
    > elzinator wrote:
    > > On 16 Feb 2005 08:37:08 -0800, Lynne wrote:

    > > >I found that I felt VERY slow and stupid when I tried low carb. I

    > don't
    > > >think that I will try it again.

    > > THat tends to decrease over time. Usually about 4-8 days. There is

    an
    > > initial adaptation period while the brain adapts to using less

    > glucose
    > > and greater ketones.

    > Actually, I did it faithfully for about 2 months. It didn't decrease,
    > it got worse. It was much easier to keep my body fat down that way,

    but
    > I earn my living with my brain. My brain wasn't working very well. I
    > wasn't very happy, either. I am not fond of donuts and sugar, but I

    do
    > love whole grains. Life is about being happy, and I am happier and

    not
    > in a dense fog if I have whole grain bread (I make it myself) in the
    > morning.

    There is a wide range of response with a universal sluggishness during
    the first week or so, sometimes several weeks. Thereafter it typically
    decreases. However outliers such as yourself have reported no return to
    normal function. And there are others like myself who are on the other
    end: carb intake makes me sluggish, low carb (not necessarily
    'no-carb') increases acute thinking, energy, etc.

    Not everyone has the same metabolism/physiology.

  7. Larry Hodges

    Larry Hodges Guest

    elzinator wrote:
    > Lynne wrote:
    >> elzinator wrote:

    >>> THat tends to decrease over time. Usually about 4-8 days. There is
    >>> an initial adaptation period while the brain adapts to using less
    >>> glucose and greater ketones.

    >> Actually, I did it faithfully for about 2 months. It didn't decrease,
    >> it got worse. It was much easier to keep my body fat down that way,
    >> but I earn my living with my brain. My brain wasn't working very
    >> well. I wasn't very happy, either. I am not fond of donuts and
    >> sugar, but I do love whole grains. Life is about being happy, and I
    >> am happier and not in a dense fog if I have whole grain bread (I
    >> make it myself) in the morning.

    > There is a wide range of response with a universal sluggishness during
    > the first week or so, sometimes several weeks. Thereafter it typically
    > decreases. However outliers such as yourself have reported no return
    > to normal function. And there are others like myself who are on the
    > other end: carb intake makes me sluggish, low carb (not necessarily
    > 'no-carb') increases acute thinking, energy, etc.
    >
    > Not everyone has the same metabolism/physiology.

    I would be an outlier then. I need carbs. I stick to whole grains and
    basically no simple carbs (other than my rum)...but I need them.
    --
    -Larry

  8. Will Brink

    Will Brink Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Mark McArthey <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hey all, it's been a while since I've posted here. I don't know the
    > current feeling towards low carb diets, but a while back I had done a
    > cyclic ketogenic diet before in conjunction with weight training per a
    > diet/program detailed by Lyle McDonald (I've even got his book around
    > here somewhere). Anyway, now that I'm doing straight LC I've found that
    > my stamina is way down.

    Thus one of several reasons Lyle wrote up the CKD for you.

    > My muscles burn sooner and it's harder to
    > maintain the reps with heavy weights. It's been a while, but I recall
    > seeing something about using Vanadyl Sulfate to aid in insulin uptake.
    > Is this true, or still recommended?

    In a word, no.

    --
    Will Brink @ http://www.brinkzone.com/

  9. Keith

    Keith Guest

    elzinator wrote:
    > Lynne wrote:
    > > elzinator wrote:

    > > don't
    > > >
    > > > THat tends to decrease over time. Usually about 4-8 days. There

    is
    > an
    > > > initial adaptation period while the brain adapts to using less

    > > glucose
    > > > and greater ketones.

    > > Actually, I did it faithfully for about 2 months. It didn't

    decrease,
    > > it got worse. It was much easier to keep my body fat down that way,

    > but
    > > I earn my living with my brain. My brain wasn't working very well.

    > > wasn't very happy, either. I am not fond of donuts and sugar, but I

    > do
    > > love whole grains. Life is about being happy, and I am happier and

    > not
    > > in a dense fog if I have whole grain bread (I make it myself) in

    the
    > > morning.

    > There is a wide range of response with a universal sluggishness

    during
    > the first week or so, sometimes several weeks. Thereafter it

    typically
    > decreases. However outliers such as yourself have reported no return

    > normal function. And there are others like myself who are on the

    other
    > end: carb intake makes me sluggish, low carb (not necessarily
    > 'no-carb') increases acute thinking, energy, etc.
    >
    > Not everyone has the same metabolism/physiology.

    I've had similar experiences, Elzi. I actually tend to have better
    workouts when carb-depleted (but not necessarily in ketosis).

  10. Will Brink

    Will Brink Guest

  11. elzinator

    elzinator Guest

    Will Brink wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "elzinator" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Not everyone has the same metabolism/physiology.

    > That's why there is the blood type diet! Science woman!

    That's bullshit and you know it!

  12. Will Brink

    Will Brink Guest

  13. Larry Hodges

    Larry Hodges Guest

    elzinator wrote:
    > Will Brink wrote:
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> "elzinator" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Not everyone has the same metabolism/physiology.

    >> That's why there is the blood type diet! Science woman!

    > That's bullshit and you know it!

    My ex has a book that recommends diet based on blood type. Is it bullshit
    Elzi? I have no idea. Things like O Positive should stay away from
    grains...that kind of stuff.
    --
    -Larry

  14. Lordy

    Lordy Guest

    "Larry Hodges" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > My ex has a book that recommends diet based on blood type. Is it
    > bullshit Elzi? I have no idea. Things like O Positive should stay
    > away from grains...that kind of stuff.

    Google "Blood Type Diet" and note the amount of Scientific studies cited by
    both pro- and anti- groups.
    Also watch out for the word "theory".

    --
    Lordy

  15. Low carb diets are bad news. Most people have a hard time following
    them which in turn gives someone the yo-yo affect of dieting. This
    wreaks havic on your metabolism and when binge or overeat your body
    produces more fat cells. Fat cells can not be eliminated. They can only
    be shrunk. This means you should choose you diet based on nutrient
    dense foods that have the least calories for the most macro and
    micronutrients.
    Patrick D.

  16. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Lynne <[email protected]> wrote:
    > elzinator wrote:

    > the

    > done a

    > per

    > around

    > found
    >> >that
    >> >recall
    >> >uptake.

    >> Try a targeted keto diet: intake carbs just before training.
    >>

    >> >I found that I felt VERY slow and stupid when I tried low carb. I

    > don't
    >> >think that I will try it again.

    >> THat tends to decrease over time. Usually about 4-8 days. There is an
    >> initial adaptation period while the brain adapts to using less

    > glucose
    >> and greater ketones.

    > Actually, I did it faithfully for about 2 months. It didn't decrease,
    > it got worse. It was much easier to keep my body fat down that way,
    > but I earn my living with my brain. My brain wasn't working very
    > well. I wasn't very happy, either. I am not fond of donuts and sugar,
    > but I do love whole grains. Life is about being happy, and I am
    > happier and not in a dense fog if I have whole grain bread (I make it
    > myself) in the morning.
    >
    > But hey, if you like LC and it works for you, go with it and be happy.

    Did you trying slowly increasing your carb level? different folks need
    different levels for best function.

  17. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    pninjaskills39 <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Low carb diets are bad news. Most people have a hard time following
    > them which in turn gives someone the yo-yo affect of dieting. This
    > wreaks havic on your metabolism and when binge or overeat your body
    > produces more fat cells. Fat cells can not be eliminated. They can
    > only be shrunk. This means you should choose you diet based on
    > nutrient dense foods that have the least calories for the most macro
    > and micronutrients.
    > Patrick D.

    Bullshit.

  18. JMW

    JMW Guest

    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >pninjaskills39 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Low carb diets are bad news. Most people have a hard time following
    >> them which in turn gives someone the yo-yo affect of dieting. This
    >> wreaks havic on your metabolism and when binge or overeat your body
    >> produces more fat cells. Fat cells can not be eliminated. They can
    >> only be shrunk. This means you should choose you diet based on
    >> nutrient dense foods that have the least calories for the most macro
    >> and micronutrients.
    >> Patrick D.

    >Bullshit.

    Uh-huh.
    --

    JMW
    http://www.rustyiron.net

  19. elzinator

    elzinator Guest

    Roger Zoul wrote:
    > pninjaskills39 <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Low carb diets are bad news. Most people have a hard time following
    > > them which in turn gives someone the yo-yo affect of dieting. This
    > > wreaks havic on your metabolism and when binge or overeat your body
    > > produces more fat cells. Fat cells can not be eliminated. They can
    > > only be shrunk. This means you should choose you diet based on
    > > nutrient dense foods that have the least calories for the most

    macro
    > > and micronutrients.
    > > Patrick D.

    > Bullshit.

    Perhaps 'Moron' is more appropos?

  20. Hobbes

    Hobbes Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Larry Hodges"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > elzinator wrote:
    > > Will Brink wrote:

    > >> That's why there is the blood type diet! Science woman!

    > > That's bullshit and you know it!

    > My ex has a book that recommends diet based on blood type. Is it bullshit
    > Elzi? I have no idea. Things like O Positive should stay away from
    > grains...that kind of stuff.

    It's bullshit. I suspect Will has his tongue firmly in cheek.