LC and weight lifting

Mark McArthey

Guest
Hey all, it's been a while since I've posted here. I don't know the
current feeling towards low carb diets, but a while back I had done a
cyclic ketogenic diet before in conjunction with weight training per a
diet/program detailed by Lyle McDonald (I've even got his book around
here somewhere). Anyway, now that I'm doing straight LC I've found that
my stamina is way down. My muscles burn sooner and it's harder to
maintain the reps with heavy weights. It's been a while, but I recall
seeing something about using Vanadyl Sulfate to aid in insulin uptake.
Is this true, or still recommended?
Any other ideas?
Thanks for any help,
Mark

Mark McArthey wrote:
> Hey all, it's been a while since I've posted here. I don't know the
> current feeling towards low carb diets, but a while back I had done a

> cyclic ketogenic diet before in conjunction with weight training per

> diet/program detailed by Lyle McDonald (I've even got his book around

> here somewhere). Anyway, now that I'm doing straight LC I've found

that
> my stamina is way down. My muscles burn sooner and it's harder to
> maintain the reps with heavy weights. It's been a while, but I

recall
> seeing something about using Vanadyl Sulfate to aid in insulin

uptake.
> Is this true, or still recommended?
> Any other ideas?
> Thanks for any help,
> Mark

I found that I felt VERY slow and stupid when I tried low carb. I don't
think that I will try it again.

Mark McArthey wrote:
> Hey all, it's been a while since I've posted here. I don't know the
> current feeling towards low carb diets, but a while back I had done a
> cyclic ketogenic diet before in conjunction with weight training per a
> diet/program detailed by Lyle McDonald (I've even got his book around
> here somewhere). Anyway, now that I'm doing straight LC I've found
> that my stamina is way down. My muscles burn sooner and it's harder
> to maintain the reps with heavy weights. It's been a while, but I
> recall seeing something about using Vanadyl Sulfate to aid in insulin
> uptake. Is this true, or still recommended?
> Any other ideas?
> Thanks for any help,
> Mark

Personally, I need carbs for fuel. I really drag if I don't get them. You
just have to watch your calorie intake...that's what counts at the end of
the day if you're losing or maintaining weight. And...enough protein.
--
-Larry

On 16 Feb 2005 08:37:08 -0800, Lynne wrote:

>Mark McArthey wrote:
>> Hey all, it's been a while since I've posted here. I don't know the
>> current feeling towards low carb diets, but a while back I had done a

>> cyclic ketogenic diet before in conjunction with weight training per

>> diet/program detailed by Lyle McDonald (I've even got his book around

>> here somewhere). Anyway, now that I'm doing straight LC I've found

>that
>> my stamina is way down. My muscles burn sooner and it's harder to
>> maintain the reps with heavy weights. It's been a while, but I

>recall
>> seeing something about using Vanadyl Sulfate to aid in insulin

>uptake.
>> Is this true, or still recommended?
>> Any other ideas?
>> Thanks for any help,
>> Mark

Try a targeted keto diet: intake carbs just before training.

>I found that I felt VERY slow and stupid when I tried low carb. I don't
>think that I will try it again.

THat tends to decrease over time. Usually about 4-8 days. There is an
initial adaptation period while the brain adapts to using less glucose
and greater ketones.

------------------------------
Reality is an illusion created by an intelligence deficiency.

elzinator wrote:
> On 16 Feb 2005 08:37:08 -0800, Lynne wrote:
> >
> >Mark McArthey wrote:
> >> Hey all, it's been a while since I've posted here. I don't know

the
> >> current feeling towards low carb diets, but a while back I had

done a

> >> cyclic ketogenic diet before in conjunction with weight training

per
> >> diet/program detailed by Lyle McDonald (I've even got his book

around

> >> here somewhere). Anyway, now that I'm doing straight LC I've

found
> >that
> >> my stamina is way down. My muscles burn sooner and it's harder to
> >> maintain the reps with heavy weights. It's been a while, but I

> >recall
> >> seeing something about using Vanadyl Sulfate to aid in insulin

> >uptake.
> >> Is this true, or still recommended?
> >> Any other ideas?
> >> Thanks for any help,
> >> Mark

> Try a targeted keto diet: intake carbs just before training.
>

> >I found that I felt VERY slow and stupid when I tried low carb. I

don't
> >think that I will try it again.

> THat tends to decrease over time. Usually about 4-8 days. There is an
> initial adaptation period while the brain adapts to using less

glucose
> and greater ketones.

Actually, I did it faithfully for about 2 months. It didn't decrease,
it got worse. It was much easier to keep my body fat down that way, but
I earn my living with my brain. My brain wasn't working very well. I
wasn't very happy, either. I am not fond of donuts and sugar, but I do
love whole grains. Life is about being happy, and I am happier and not
in a dense fog if I have whole grain bread (I make it myself) in the
morning.

But hey, if you like LC and it works for you, go with it and be happy.

Lynne wrote:
> elzinator wrote:
> > On 16 Feb 2005 08:37:08 -0800, Lynne wrote:

> > >I found that I felt VERY slow and stupid when I tried low carb. I

> don't
> > >think that I will try it again.

> > THat tends to decrease over time. Usually about 4-8 days. There is

an
> > initial adaptation period while the brain adapts to using less

> glucose
> > and greater ketones.

> Actually, I did it faithfully for about 2 months. It didn't decrease,
> it got worse. It was much easier to keep my body fat down that way,

but
> I earn my living with my brain. My brain wasn't working very well. I
> wasn't very happy, either. I am not fond of donuts and sugar, but I

do
> love whole grains. Life is about being happy, and I am happier and

not
> in a dense fog if I have whole grain bread (I make it myself) in the
> morning.

There is a wide range of response with a universal sluggishness during
the first week or so, sometimes several weeks. Thereafter it typically
decreases. However outliers such as yourself have reported no return to
normal function. And there are others like myself who are on the other
end: carb intake makes me sluggish, low carb (not necessarily
'no-carb') increases acute thinking, energy, etc.

Not everyone has the same metabolism/physiology.

elzinator wrote:
> Lynne wrote:
>> elzinator wrote:

>>> THat tends to decrease over time. Usually about 4-8 days. There is
>>> an initial adaptation period while the brain adapts to using less
>>> glucose and greater ketones.

>> Actually, I did it faithfully for about 2 months. It didn't decrease,
>> it got worse. It was much easier to keep my body fat down that way,
>> but I earn my living with my brain. My brain wasn't working very
>> well. I wasn't very happy, either. I am not fond of donuts and
>> sugar, but I do love whole grains. Life is about being happy, and I
>> am happier and not in a dense fog if I have whole grain bread (I
>> make it myself) in the morning.

> There is a wide range of response with a universal sluggishness during
> the first week or so, sometimes several weeks. Thereafter it typically
> decreases. However outliers such as yourself have reported no return
> to normal function. And there are others like myself who are on the
> other end: carb intake makes me sluggish, low carb (not necessarily
> 'no-carb') increases acute thinking, energy, etc.
>
> Not everyone has the same metabolism/physiology.

I would be an outlier then. I need carbs. I stick to whole grains and
basically no simple carbs (other than my rum)...but I need them.
--
-Larry

In article <[email protected]>,
Mark McArthey <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hey all, it's been a while since I've posted here. I don't know the
> current feeling towards low carb diets, but a while back I had done a
> cyclic ketogenic diet before in conjunction with weight training per a
> diet/program detailed by Lyle McDonald (I've even got his book around
> here somewhere). Anyway, now that I'm doing straight LC I've found that
> my stamina is way down.

Thus one of several reasons Lyle wrote up the CKD for you.

> My muscles burn sooner and it's harder to
> maintain the reps with heavy weights. It's been a while, but I recall
> seeing something about using Vanadyl Sulfate to aid in insulin uptake.
> Is this true, or still recommended?

In a word, no.

--
Will Brink @ http://www.brinkzone.com/

elzinator wrote:
> Lynne wrote:
> > elzinator wrote:

> > don't
> > >
> > > THat tends to decrease over time. Usually about 4-8 days. There

is
> an
> > > initial adaptation period while the brain adapts to using less

> > glucose
> > > and greater ketones.

> > Actually, I did it faithfully for about 2 months. It didn't

decrease,
> > it got worse. It was much easier to keep my body fat down that way,

> but
> > I earn my living with my brain. My brain wasn't working very well.

> > wasn't very happy, either. I am not fond of donuts and sugar, but I

> do
> > love whole grains. Life is about being happy, and I am happier and

> not
> > in a dense fog if I have whole grain bread (I make it myself) in

the
> > morning.

> There is a wide range of response with a universal sluggishness

during
> the first week or so, sometimes several weeks. Thereafter it

typically
> decreases. However outliers such as yourself have reported no return

> normal function. And there are others like myself who are on the

other
> end: carb intake makes me sluggish, low carb (not necessarily
> 'no-carb') increases acute thinking, energy, etc.
>
> Not everyone has the same metabolism/physiology.

I've had similar experiences, Elzi. I actually tend to have better
workouts when carb-depleted (but not necessarily in ketosis).

That's ******** and you know it!

elzinator wrote:
> Will Brink wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> "elzinator" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Not everyone has the same metabolism/physiology.

>> That's why there is the blood type diet! Science woman!

> That's ******** and you know it!

My ex has a book that recommends diet based on blood type. Is it ********
Elzi? I have no idea. Things like O Positive should stay away from
grains...that kind of stuff.
--
-Larry

"Larry Hodges" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> My ex has a book that recommends diet based on blood type. Is it
> ******** Elzi? I have no idea. Things like O Positive should stay
> away from grains...that kind of stuff.

Google "Blood Type Diet" and note the amount of Scientific studies cited by
both pro- and anti- groups.
Also watch out for the word "theory".

--
Lordy

Low carb diets are bad news. Most people have a hard time following
them which in turn gives someone the yo-yo affect of dieting. This
wreaks havic on your metabolism and when binge or overeat your body
produces more fat cells. Fat cells can not be eliminated. They can only
be shrunk. This means you should choose you diet based on nutrient
dense foods that have the least calories for the most macro and
micronutrients.
Patrick D.

Lynne <[email protected]> wrote:
> elzinator wrote:

> the

> done a

> per

> around

> found
>> >that
>> >recall
>> >uptake.

>> Try a targeted keto diet: intake carbs just before training.
>>

>> >I found that I felt VERY slow and stupid when I tried low carb. I

> don't
>> >think that I will try it again.

>> THat tends to decrease over time. Usually about 4-8 days. There is an
>> initial adaptation period while the brain adapts to using less

> glucose
>> and greater ketones.

> Actually, I did it faithfully for about 2 months. It didn't decrease,
> it got worse. It was much easier to keep my body fat down that way,
> but I earn my living with my brain. My brain wasn't working very
> well. I wasn't very happy, either. I am not fond of donuts and sugar,
> but I do love whole grains. Life is about being happy, and I am
> happier and not in a dense fog if I have whole grain bread (I make it
> myself) in the morning.
>
> But hey, if you like LC and it works for you, go with it and be happy.

Did you trying slowly increasing your carb level? different folks need
different levels for best function.

********.

"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:

>pninjaskills39 <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Low carb diets are bad news. Most people have a hard time following
>> them which in turn gives someone the yo-yo affect of dieting. This
>> wreaks havic on your metabolism and when binge or overeat your body
>> produces more fat cells. Fat cells can not be eliminated. They can
>> only be shrunk. This means you should choose you diet based on
>> nutrient dense foods that have the least calories for the most macro
>> and micronutrients.
>> Patrick D.

>********.

Uh-huh.
--

JMW
http://www.rustyiron.net

Roger Zoul wrote:
> pninjaskills39 <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Low carb diets are bad news. Most people have a hard time following
> > them which in turn gives someone the yo-yo affect of dieting. This
> > wreaks havic on your metabolism and when binge or overeat your body
> > produces more fat cells. Fat cells can not be eliminated. They can
> > only be shrunk. This means you should choose you diet based on
> > nutrient dense foods that have the least calories for the most

macro
> > and micronutrients.
> > Patrick D.

> ********.