Le Grand Depart : Very interesting viewing

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
Eurosport had coverage of the Le Grand Depart.
LGD is the formal introduction of the teams and riders for the TDF.

Jan Ullrich attended with his team and he was wearing a large white bandage on the left side of his neck as a result of his crashing in to a car during a training ride yesterday.
The two French interviewers tried to interview Jan and Vino - which became a bit of a cropper when Jan and Vino were standing at opposite ends of the stage.
Jan said he was in good form despite the spill.

Diiscovery also appeared on stage and it was obvious that the emotion of the occasion nearly got to LA.
The announcer gave LA a big introduction and went on about it being LA's final TDF.
LA said he really loved the TDF, and with bottom lip quivering couldn't really say anymore.
He was clearly very moved.

The rest of the teams were introduced without incident.

Yeah Jan definately a little embarassed by the situation, the commentator asking him what's with the bandage, Jan saying only that he fell. It could be more serious than he's letting on. Could it affect his performance tommrow? I'd love to see him take maybe 20 seconds out of Lance.

Lance, when he plays something down it means it's important to him, I think he will demonstrate that nicely tommorow. I didn't think he was that moved until the end when his eyes widened.

The Bouyes telecom DS broke-down....my understanding is that it was because the tour was starting in his part of France? Is it that beautiful? :D

Who was that commentator and what did he do with Harmon?
My favourite quote ''you don't want to mess with this guy'' (refering to Jan and the announcer), What was he going to do, punch him? :p

Ullefan said:
Yeah Jan definately a little embarassed by the situation, the commentator asking him what's with the bandage, Jan saying only that he fell. It could be more serious than he's letting on. Could it affect his performance tommrow? I'd love to see him take maybe 20 seconds out of Lance.

Lance, when he plays something down it means it's important to him, I think he will demonstrate that nicely tommorow. I didn't think he was that moved until the end when his eyes widened.

The Bouyes telecom DS broke-down....my understanding is that it was because the tour was starting in his part of France? Is it that beautiful? :D

Who was that commentator and what did he do with Harmon?
My favourite quote ''you don't want to mess with this guy'' (refering to Jan and the announcer), What was he going to do, punch him? :p

I didn't catch the commentators name.
Yeah what was all that about "you wouldn't want to mess with JU" ?
Ullrich's bandage looked to be covering a large area of his neck - and I agree it probably was a more serious crash than they were letting on.

LA eyes were watering with the emotion of the introduction - you could see it.

They were trying to get Vino to translate the French question into German and then to translate Ullrich question back into French..... it was a fine example of when to use subtitles or have a multilingual host ! Diabolical !

Agreed Armstrong was very emotional and not his usual surly non-talkative state…..

Only a few hours until the bikes do the talking….

limerickman said:
I didn't catch the commentators name.
Yeah what was all that about "you wouldn't want to mess with JU" ?
Ullrich's bandage looked to be covering a large area of his neck - and I agree it probably was a more serious crash than they were letting on.

LA eyes were watering with the emotion of the introduction - you could see it.

Jep the bikes and the riders did the talking!:D Love those boring tours:cool:

whiteboytrash said:
They were trying to get Vino to translate the French question into German and then to translate Ullrich question back into French..... it was a fine example of when to use subtitles or have a multilingual host ! Diabolical !

Agreed Armstrong was very emotional and not his usual surly non-talkative state…..

Only a few hours until the bikes do the talking….