Le Toue De France cash prize ???

impalass

Jul 25, 2004
Does anybody have an idea how much money 1st, 2nd and 3rd place are awarded ? It have to be a LOT. For someone like LA to have a house in France, live in Spain and another house in Austin...it have to be a lot. Any ideas how much they make a year ????:confused: :rolleyes:

impalass said:
Does anybody have an idea how much money 1st, 2nd and 3rd place are awarded ? It have to be a LOT. For someone like LA to have a house in France, live in Spain and another house in Austin...it have to be a lot. Any ideas how much they make a year ????:confused: :rolleyes:
most of his money i think comes from sponsors and ads

impalass said:

I'm not certain, but I believe the TdF winner usually dolls the prize money out to his team to show his appreciation and to avoid France's very high, confiscatory tax bite. :)

As for all of LA's houses, I doubt his cycling salary covers that, it's the endorsements where he receives a sizeable portion of jack.

impalass said:
Hi

I found this on cyclingnews.com

A brief look at how some of the classifications paid in 2002:

Prologue

1st 3,810 Euro
2nd 1,525
3rd 760
4th 455
5th 390

Road Stage/Individual Time Trial

1st 7,620 Euro
2nd 4,000
3rd 2,000
4th 1,200
5th 830

Team Time Trial

1st 15,000 Euro
2nd 7,500
3rd 4,300
4th 3,900
5th 3,600

Prize for each green jersey sprint or HC mountain climb

1st 762 Euro
2nd 457
3rd 305

Daily prize for yellow, green, polka dot, and white jerseys: 305 Euro

Final Individual Classification

1st 335,390 Euro
2nd 167,495
3rd 91,470
4th 60,979
5th 41,923

Final Classification: Green, Polka Dot Jerseys

1st 22,867 Euro
2nd 15,245
3rd 7,622

Final Classification: White Jersey

1st 18,294 Euro
2nd 13,720
3rd 9,147

In Armsrtong's book "Every Second Counts" he talks about the $400,000 in prize money that he received for winning the TdF (I think it was the 2002 TdF). He says that the winner traditionally splits this money up and gives it to his teammates (evidently the winner will have more money flowing in from all kinds of other sources). For what it's worth; Armstrong says that he was so impressed and proud of his teammates that year that he doubled each of their shares out of his own pocket.

Oh! And if your wondering where LA gets most of his money? I heard on the radio this morning that he just signed a new $5 million contract with Nike. That doesn't include his other sponsorship contracts or his USPS salary!

meehs said:
Oh! And if your wondering where LA gets most of his money? I heard on the radio this morning that he just signed a new $5 million contract with Nike. That doesn't include his other sponsorship contracts or his USPS salary!
i wonder how many bikes he has too?

meehs said:

estimates of Lance's earnings run from $12-$16 million US per annum.