Le Tour so far...

mjolnir2k

Jun 6, 2003
Wow, What a great first week of the Tour! I am constantly amazed by every rider in the race and their incredible ability to withstand the agony of riding over the Alps and Pyranees....truly remarkable.

So, Lance is in Yellow after the first wave of mountains. There are varying reports by the pundits on his overall form, with some suggesting he is not that strong this year. If you ask me, he looks pretty darn good. He has covered every attack and has not killed himself to do it. Sure he has only a 20" lead, but does anyone think that Vino is going to put time into Lance during Fridays ITT?

Here's my thoughts on the race: Lance has been putting in about 85% energy to conserve something for the Alps. I think he definitely wanted to hold the Yellow jersey until Friday to have the last slot for the ITT (and therefore will know the finishing times of his competitors). However, I don't think he wanted to see Vino take the stage yesterday, in fact I think the he and Beloki would have caught Vino if not for the crash.

I also think Postal is still the strongest team and has the best climbers to tackle the Alps.

I think Friday will tell Lance's rivals if he is indeed susceptible this year or if the race is over.

I think Jan is shooting to get on the podium, but I have seen nothing to suggest he can overtake Lance, Tyler or Mayo and Vino. He MUST have a strong ITT to remain a threat.

With Beloki out (one of the saddest moments I have ever seen in the Tour) I think Lance has to worry about 1 man...Tyler Hamilton.

Tyler has been picking up steam lately. I think his shoulder is feeling fairly OK and he obviously has good legs so far. If he does well in the ITT on Friday, I think he will believe he can win the race. That could be dangerous for Lance! I still expect to see Tyler on the podium in Paris.

I don't think Vino nor Mayo pose a serious threat as neither is a superb TT'er and neither of their teams are dominant. Great climbers they are, but I don't forsee either of them putting so much time into Lance during the Alps.

2 weeks left and it's already been the best Tour I have ever seen.

GO LANCE!

Certainly a fantastic tour so far but a pity about crashes for Belocki, Levi and to a lesser extent Tyler. Sure Tyler is riding a great tour but I think his time trialling will be less than his best given greater discomfort in the aero position.

I wouldn't write off Vino in the ITT. He has had a superb season and continues to be inspired by the death of Kivilev. I wouldn't be surprised if he reaches Paris in 2nd or maybe better. I don't think he will beat Lance but he sure looks powerful.

Jan is riding better than I expected but I keep expecting that he'll have one bad day in the hills due to his reduced preparation. I still think he'll get a top 4 finish with either him or Tyler in 3rd.

ive never reallty rated vino , he has been a bit lucky ie he was dropped on alpe dhuez and only came back/got ahead because of the leaders slowing.............then if beloki hadnt crashed he would have got caught.
but i admire his guts in attacking and enlivening the race.

i think the luz ardiden stage is going to be the real test (after 2 days in the pyreneas), i think lance is probably pacing himself for that stage but i think he will gain a reasonable lead after the tt.

Interesting Tour so far.
For me it's just interesting to see that riders at least try to attack Lance. Hamilton, Mayo and Beloki did a good job so far. It's a real shame that Beloki can't make it to the end of the Tour, because he really looked stronger and more confident than before.
I don't really see a rider who is capable of beating Lance, but Lance himself doesn't look as good as last years...

So the only thing his opponents can do, I guess, is to try to work in cooperation a bit to get Lance's team tired.
Agreements between Hamilton, Vino and the Spaniards and their teams on who and when to attack.

And maybe some others, like Ullrich and like the disappointing Botero and Simoni, can be of any significance in beating and tiring USPostal.

We'll see!

For now:
enjoy the Tour!

despite Lance isnt as good as last years,he still has the yellow jersey and I guess it will be very difficult for the others beat him for 2 reasons:
1)Lance's going to take a big edge over Vino and Mayo after TT,cos Lance's clearly the favourite there and only Ullrich or Hamilton can challenge him in TT
2)Lance didnt attack by himself cos maybe he didnt have great feelings on the alps,but i guess he let them to go for some tactic reasons.when Mayo and Vino attacked,he didnt follow them cos he thought they werent serious rivals for him.i'm sure if they'll attack him again on pyrenees,Lance's going to follow them.
if Lance takes a good edge in TT,then he can just "control" them on pyrenees and winning the other TT on 26th July.
he isnt supposed to dominate all the Tour de France he rides..but he can win as well without dominating,and i think it's what is going to happen this year.

if Lance takes a good edge in TT,then he can just "control" them on pyrenees and winning the other TT on 26th July.
he isnt supposed to dominate all the Tour de France he rides..but he can win as well without dominating,and i think it's what is going to happen this year.

Just like good old Indurain.:)

People forget that sometimes.
He was very dominant the last Tours, but even with a "defensive" or "controlling" tactic you can win Tours.