Le Tour

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Stuart, Jul 13, 2003.

  1. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    Well done ITV. What great sunday viewing.

    Tags:

  2. W K

    W K Guest

    "Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Well done ITV. What great sunday viewing.

    Apart from the bit where all of a sudden we're stroking tortoises with a paint brush instead of
    seeing interviews.

    BTW did Lance get stroppy in the "former Alpe d'huez winners" photo. Thats what french radio seemed
    to be suggesting.

  3. Andy Koppe

    Andy Koppe Guest

    > Well done ITV. What great sunday viewing.

    Yeah, not owning a satellite dish, I was really glad ITV put Alpe d'Huez on
    live.

    But I found the commentators very annoying. They kept on stressing how badly Armstrong was doing,
    yet the guy put a minute and a half on Ullrich, successfully reined in Beloki's attacks, and ended
    up in the yellow jersey. Quite impressive for a bad day.

    Andy

  4. "Andy Koppe" <a n d y @ d c s . e d . a c . u k> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Well done ITV. What great sunday viewing.
    >
    > Yeah, not owning a satellite dish, I was really glad ITV put Alpe d'Huez
    on
    > live.
    >
    > But I found the commentators very annoying. They kept on stressing how
    badly
    > Armstrong was doing, yet the guy put a minute and a half on Ullrich, successfully reined in
    > Beloki's attacks, and ended up in the yellow
    jersey.
    > Quite impressive for a bad day.

    They might as well have billed it as the Tour de Lance as if the whole race was about one man rather
    then the 150-odd still racing.

    Still great viewing though - it always is.

    Should be on every night IMO.

    F A

  5. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Andy Koppe <a n d y @ d c s . e d . a c . u k> wrote:

    : But I found the commentators very annoying. They kept on stressing how badly Armstrong was doing,
    : yet the guy put a minute and a half on Ullrich, successfully reined in Beloki's attacks, and ended
    : up in the yellow jersey. Quite impressive for a bad day.

    While impressive for a bad day, it was still a bad day for Armstrong - he was a lot, lot more
    dominant on Alp D'Huez before.

    He said himself in after-race comments that he wasn't on a good day. Be interesting to see what
    happens over the next few days.

    That was a really, really good stage to watch though

    Arhtu

  6. > Should be on every night IMO.

    It is, at around 1.30 - 2.30 on ITV1.

    --
    David Brown :eek:) http://kitemap.co.uk

  7. Trealaw Boy

    Trealaw Boy Guest

    Farmer Alfalfa wrote:

    > They might as well have billed it as the Tour de Lance as if the whole race was about one man
    > rather then the 150-odd still racing.

    Yep, I'm fed up of Paul Sherwen prattling on about Armstrong and USPS all the time. Yes, he's
    the man to beat, but there doesn't seem to enough of a focus on the great efforts by other teams
    and riders.

    This was highlighted by his despicable commentary on the Beloki crash, where all he was concerned
    about was Armstrong's bike handling skills, rather than poor old Beloki.

    I'm sticking with Duffers on Eurosport from now on. He's more even handed, and actually their
    highlights show is much more rounded than the ITV offering. It shows more of the racing, with
    useful after race interviews with a variety of riders, not just your Anglophones that you tend to
    get on ITV.

    TB

  8. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Trealaw Boy wrote:
    > Yep, I'm fed up of Paul Sherwen prattling on about Armstrong and USPS all the time.
    <snip>
    > This was highlighted by his despicable commentary on the Beloki crash, where all he was concerned
    > about was Armstrong's bike handling skills, rather than poor old Beloki.

    While he commented favourably on Armstrongs bike handling skills (and rightly so), ISTR he commented
    still more favourably on Beloki's bike handling skills, pointing out that Beloki almost recovered
    the bike before the wheel slid to the left.

    ICBW, it could have been Phil Liggett who made that particular comment. I'll have taped over that
    stage by now, so have no way of checking.

    I have to say I rather enjoy the commentary provided by Liggett, Sherwen and Imlach, and always
    have. I'm not so keen on the new guy (Ned Boulting) whose job seems to be to dumb everything down a
    la Monty Don, though. And although Stephen Roche might be knowledgeable, I think he needs subtitles.

    Thomas Paine

  9. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 09:51:52 +0100, Trealaw Boy <[email protected]tmail.com> wrote:

    >I'm sticking with Duffers on Eurosport from now on. He's more even handed, and actually their
    >highlights show is much more rounded than the ITV offering. It shows more of the racing, with
    >useful after race interviews with a variety of riders, not just your Anglophones that you tend to
    >get on ITV.

    I've watched every stage of this years' race apart from the TTT and, in the main, enjoy DD's
    commentary. He does waffle on a bit at times though and tends to repeat himself every hour or two,
    and day by day. Also, he seems to get a particular bee in his bonnet each year and carries on about
    that subject too much, IMO.

    Nevertheless, TB, I do like listening to the old so-and-so.

    As a comparison I would like to hear the ITV team giving six or seven hours' worth of live
    broadcast. Of course, ITV also offers chances to win a bike or a book. <Phone time>

    James

    --
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg