Leader Bike TT Front Derailleur Adjustment

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by danmadone, Mar 25, 2006.

1. danmadone

danmadone New Member

Does anyone have any experience or advice regarding the Leader time trial frame and the adjustment of the front derailleur? Even with the limit screws adjusted to allow full inboard travel, the derailleur seems to rub on the chain when shifting rear cogs. I can understand having to "trim" the front derailleur when shifting rear cogs, but this is ridiculous!!! It appears as though the braze on tab sticks too far outboard, and does not allow the correct adjustment. Any advice? Thanks!

Tags:

2. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

Can you post a link to the bike specs.

Did you release the cable completely before adjusting the low limit screw?

Also, check the bottom bracket axle length, it may be short.

3. danmadone

danmadone New Member

Here is a link to my bike info: http://cgi.ebay.com/735TT-53C-C-57CM-TRI-TIME-TRIAL-TRIATHLON-BIKE-FRAME-BK_W0QQitemZ7228581833QQcategoryZ98084QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I do know that the bike can be built up with Ultegra 10 and that is what I bought (seperately on ebay). Are there varying BB axle lengths for 175mm cranks? Yes, I did release the cable fully before adjusting the low limit screw. How can I tell if the BB axle length is too short?

Thanks!

4. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

If you have Ulegra 10 it should be a
    FC 6600 (double) crankset with a
    FD 6600 Brz Derailleur.
    BB axle length is fixed. However, care needs to be taken, measure the BB shell, should be 68mm, spacers should be supplied with the crankset and set up according to the instruction sheet.

They are all available here: http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/c...ycling/customer_support/service_diagrams.html

I see a 390mm chain stay. If all is assembled correctly, there may be some chain rub on the FD when on the small chainring and using the larger 1 or 2 rear sprockets.

I built a 9 speed triple on a TT frame and the chain rubs on the FD cage below 23t. This is due to the steep seat post, 78deg, and short chain stay 385mm. I did find the wider triple chain line easier to set up.

5. danmadone

danmadone New Member

Is it possible to use the triple front derailleur on a double and set the limit screws to accomodate it? I think that the wider adjustment range might help go inboard a little more and correctly line up with the small front sprocket?

6. westpenncyclist

westpenncyclist New Member

I'm wondering if you've remedied yoour adjustment problem; and about your general impressions of the frame quality and craftsmanship.

I've been considering buying a Leader TT frame. I've read generally positive reviews about the product, but some unflattering comments about their customer service and less than professional temperment.