Leadville..Ouch!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by TJ, Feb 27, 2006.

  1. TJ

    TJ Guest

    Well all. After loosing some weight and riding my bike a bunch. I am going
    to try the Leadville 100. Not because it is sweet, tight, twisty,
    singletrack. It is not any of those adj. I want that damn cool beltbuckle.
    It was $220 to enter. That's a little on the expensive side. I know I will
    be in good company there. A few of my local ridning acquaintences (sp) are
    going to be there too.

    Anyone here in AMB going??

    www.leadvilletrail100.com


    TJ
     
    Tags:


  2. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    TJ wrote:
    > Well all. After loosing some weight and riding my bike a bunch. I am going
    > to try the Leadville 100. Not because it is sweet, tight, twisty,
    > singletrack. It is not any of those adj. I want that damn cool beltbuckle.
    > It was $220 to enter. That's a little on the expensive side. I know I will
    > be in good company there. A few of my local ridning acquaintences (sp) are
    > going to be there too.
    >
    > Anyone here in AMB going??
    >
    > www.leadvilletrail100.com
    >
    >
    > TJ
    >
    >


    Good luck!

    One week earlier and I would have thought about it.

    Vail & Durango 7/19 - 8/6


    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws
     
  3. MattB

    MattB Guest

    Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    > TJ wrote:
    >
    >> Well all. After loosing some weight and riding my bike a bunch. I am
    >> going to try the Leadville 100. Not because it is sweet, tight,
    >> twisty, singletrack. It is not any of those adj. I want that damn
    >> cool beltbuckle. It was $220 to enter. That's a little on the
    >> expensive side. I know I will be in good company there. A few of my
    >> local ridning acquaintences (sp) are going to be there too.
    >>
    >> Anyone here in AMB going??
    >>
    >> www.leadvilletrail100.com
    >>
    >>
    >> TJ
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > One week earlier and I would have thought about it.
    >
    > Vail & Durango 7/19 - 8/6
    >
    >


    I've considered it a few times, and a bunch of my friends do it, but man
    it sure looks brutal.
    I figure I'll do Leadville and the Grand Traverse one day, but I'm just
    too into riding and skiing for fun for that kind of pain at this point.

    Matt (I guess I'm just a wuss)
     
  4. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    MattB wrote:
    > Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    >> TJ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well all. After loosing some weight and riding my bike a bunch. I am
    >>> going to try the Leadville 100. Not because it is sweet, tight,
    >>> twisty, singletrack. It is not any of those adj. I want that damn
    >>> cool beltbuckle. It was $220 to enter. That's a little on the
    >>> expensive side. I know I will be in good company there. A few of my
    >>> local ridning acquaintences (sp) are going to be there too.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone here in AMB going??
    >>>
    >>> www.leadvilletrail100.com
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> TJ
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >> Good luck!
    >>
    >> One week earlier and I would have thought about it.
    >>
    >> Vail & Durango 7/19 - 8/6
    >>
    >>

    >
    > I've considered it a few times, and a bunch of my friends do it, but man
    > it sure looks brutal.
    > I figure I'll do Leadville and the Grand Traverse one day, but I'm just
    > too into riding and skiing for fun for that kind of pain at this point.
    >
    > Matt (I guess I'm just a wuss)


    Not racing does not mean you are a wuss. I do one race a year and I
    hate it. Why do I do it then? I don't know, I just get sucked into the
    whole competition thing. This year I am swearing it off! I mean it, I
    can quit any time /jitter jitter twitch twitch/.

    The other thing that turns me off about racing is why should I have to
    pay $200+ to ride the same trails I can ride for free?

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws
     
  5. Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    > MattB wrote:
    >> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    >>> TJ wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Well all. After loosing some weight and riding my bike a bunch. I
    >>>> am going to try the Leadville 100. Not because it is sweet, tight,
    >>>> twisty, singletrack. It is not any of those adj. I want that damn
    >>>> cool beltbuckle. It was $220 to enter. That's a little on the
    >>>> expensive side. I know I will be in good company there. A few of
    >>>> my local ridning acquaintences (sp) are going to be there too.
    >>>>
    >>>> Anyone here in AMB going??
    >>>>
    >>>> www.leadvilletrail100.com
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> TJ
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> Good luck!
    >>>
    >>> One week earlier and I would have thought about it.
    >>>
    >>> Vail & Durango 7/19 - 8/6
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >> I've considered it a few times, and a bunch of my friends do it, but
    >> man it sure looks brutal.
    >> I figure I'll do Leadville and the Grand Traverse one day, but I'm
    >> just too into riding and skiing for fun for that kind of pain at this
    >> point.
    >>
    >> Matt (I guess I'm just a wuss)

    >
    > Not racing does not mean you are a wuss. I do one race a year and I
    > hate it. Why do I do it then? I don't know, I just get sucked into the
    > whole competition thing. This year I am swearing it off! I mean it, I
    > can quit any time /jitter jitter twitch twitch/.
    >
    > The other thing that turns me off about racing is why should I have to
    > pay $200+ to ride the same trails I can ride for free?
    >


    Not much single track in that ride, but I hear the Vapor Trail 125 has
    lots. More elevation gain as well!

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

    Owner/Operator of the Pekingnese Ranch.
     
  6. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    >
    >
    > Not racing does not mean you are a wuss. I do one race a year and I
    > hate it. Why do I do it then? I don't know, I just get sucked into the
    > whole competition thing. This year I am swearing it off! I mean it, I
    > can quit any time /jitter jitter twitch twitch/.
    >
    > The other thing that turns me off about racing is why should I have to
    > pay $200+ to ride the same trails I can ride for free?
    >


    $200? You must be talkin bout dem 168 hour events or sumtin.

    The one nice thing about racing is that if they have good singletrack
    it's one of the times you can haul ass without guilt.

    Greg
    --
    "All my time I spent in heaven
    Revelries of dance and wine
    Waking to the sound of laughter
    Up I'd rise and kiss the sky" - The Mekons
     
  7. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    G.T. wrote:
    > Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >> Not racing does not mean you are a wuss. I do one race a year and I
    >> hate it. Why do I do it then? I don't know, I just get sucked into
    >> the whole competition thing. This year I am swearing it off! I mean
    >> it, I can quit any time /jitter jitter twitch twitch/.
    >>
    >> The other thing that turns me off about racing is why should I have to
    >> pay $200+ to ride the same trails I can ride for free?
    >>

    >
    > $200? You must be talkin bout dem 168 hour events or sumtin.
    >
    > The one nice thing about racing is that if they have good singletrack
    > it's one of the times you can haul ass without guilt.
    >
    > Greg


    He just said the L100 was $220. The 24 Hours of Allamuchy (the one I
    enter) is up to $140 if you don't register early. For that you get a
    guaranteed 24 hours of rain (hasn't failed yet), camping in a Boy Scout
    camp that hasn't been renovated in 60 years (including the hole in the
    ground called a bathroom), 10 miles of singletrack (that you do over and
    over again), cheaters (especially some of the solo riders), and no sleep.

    Is it fun? Hell ya!

    /I'm not going to do it! I'm not going to do it! I'm not going to do it!
    I'm not going to do it! I'm not going to do it! I'm not going to do it!/

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws
     
  8. MattB

    MattB Guest

    Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    > MattB wrote:
    >
    >> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    >>
    >>> TJ wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Well all. After loosing some weight and riding my bike a bunch. I
    >>>> am going to try the Leadville 100. Not because it is sweet, tight,
    >>>> twisty, singletrack. It is not any of those adj. I want that damn
    >>>> cool beltbuckle. It was $220 to enter. That's a little on the
    >>>> expensive side. I know I will be in good company there. A few of
    >>>> my local ridning acquaintences (sp) are going to be there too.
    >>>>
    >>>> Anyone here in AMB going??
    >>>>
    >>>> www.leadvilletrail100.com
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> TJ
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> Good luck!
    >>>
    >>> One week earlier and I would have thought about it.
    >>>
    >>> Vail & Durango 7/19 - 8/6
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >> I've considered it a few times, and a bunch of my friends do it, but
    >> man it sure looks brutal.
    >> I figure I'll do Leadville and the Grand Traverse one day, but I'm
    >> just too into riding and skiing for fun for that kind of pain at this
    >> point.
    >>
    >> Matt (I guess I'm just a wuss)

    >
    >
    > Not racing does not mean you are a wuss. I do one race a year and I
    > hate it. Why do I do it then? I don't know, I just get sucked into the
    > whole competition thing. This year I am swearing it off! I mean it, I
    > can quit any time /jitter jitter twitch twitch/.
    >
    > The other thing that turns me off about racing is why should I have to
    > pay $200+ to ride the same trails I can ride for free?
    >


    Yes I know that of course, it was meant as tongue-in-cheek remark (I'm
    pretty sure I'm not a wuss, except when it comes to riding in high
    temperatures). I usually do a race or few every year too. The Leadville
    100 is mostly dirt roads and jeep trails, so if I was ever to do it it
    would be for the challenge rather than the good riding. I'd pretty much
    take a nice solo (or with a friend or two) ride on some prime
    singletrack over just about any race, but like you I get sucked in from
    time to time.

    Matt
     
  9. JD

    JD Guest

    G.T. wrote:
    > The one nice thing about racing is that if they have good singletrack
    > it's one of the times you can haul ass without guilt.



    But the LV100 is fire and jeep roads.

    I have plenty of haunts in CO where I can haul ass without guilt. I
    rode something Sunday and because of the time of day and nature of the
    trail, hauled major ass without any guilt. I'll never pay to haul ass,
    nor for a belt buckle.

    JD
     
  10. GWood

    GWood Guest

    Is there a time limit ?
    Never mind...
     
  11. JD wrote:
    > G.T. wrote:
    >> The one nice thing about racing is that if they have good singletrack
    >> it's one of the times you can haul ass without guilt.

    >
    >
    > But the LV100 is fire and jeep roads.
    >
    > I have plenty of haunts in CO where I can haul ass without guilt. I
    > rode something Sunday and because of the time of day and nature of the
    > trail, hauled major ass without any guilt. I'll never pay to haul ass,
    > nor for a belt buckle.
    >
    > JD
    >


    It's a really nice belt buckle!

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

    Owner/Operator of the Pekingnese Ranch.
     
  12. Tom Purvis

    Tom Purvis Guest

    GWood wrote:
    >Is there a time limit ?


    12 hours or no belt buckle.

    I'm doing it again. I can ride wonderful, rarely seen
    stuff all by myself almost any time. The Leadville
    Trail 100 is a class event. And a good inducement
    to take lots of long bike rides this Spring and Summer.

    The $220 didn't seem all that bad after all the swag
    I left with and the way everything was run last summer.
    The course *is* mostly safe and sanitary, but that
    doesn't mean it's ugly. It's actually a pretty grand
    sweep in terms of the big picture. The view from
    Columbine is nice. Checkit:

    http://arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/images/columbineMine.jpg

    And it's hard enough. Being a good technical rider can
    only help you so much. You have to be fit. And you
    have to have your food worked out. And your bike has
    to be pretty reliable. And if you do happen to suck at
    technical riding it costs you half an hour. If you suck
    at climbing, don't even bother. Running late getting to
    the turnaround and you'll probably get caught in the
    daily downpour that happens around lunchtime.
    Running late getting to the finish line, you don' get
    no belt buckle.
    --
    Tom Purvis - http://arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/
     
  13. TJ

    TJ Guest

    "Tom Purvis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > GWood wrote:
    >>Is there a time limit ?

    >
    > 12 hours or no belt buckle.
    >
    > I'm doing it again. I can ride wonderful, rarely seen
    > stuff all by myself almost any time. The Leadville
    > Trail 100 is a class event. And a good inducement
    > to take lots of long bike rides this Spring and Summer.
    >
    > The $220 didn't seem all that bad after all the swag
    > I left with and the way everything was run last summer.
    > The course *is* mostly safe and sanitary, but that
    > doesn't mean it's ugly. It's actually a pretty grand
    > sweep in terms of the big picture. The view from
    > Columbine is nice. Checkit:
    >
    > http://arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/images/columbineMine.jpg
    >
    > And it's hard enough. Being a good technical rider can
    > only help you so much. You have to be fit. And you
    > have to have your food worked out. And your bike has
    > to be pretty reliable. And if you do happen to suck at
    > technical riding it costs you half an hour. If you suck
    > at climbing, don't even bother. Running late getting to
    > the turnaround and you'll probably get caught in the
    > daily downpour that happens around lunchtime.
    > Running late getting to the finish line, you don' get
    > no belt buckle.
    > --
    > Tom Purvis - http://arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/


    Nice Photo. How fast did you do it?

    TJ

    >
     
  14. Tom Purvis wrote:
    > GWood wrote:
    >> Is there a time limit ?

    >
    > 12 hours or no belt buckle.
    >
    > I'm doing it again. I can ride wonderful, rarely seen
    > stuff all by myself almost any time. The Leadville
    > Trail 100 is a class event. And a good inducement
    > to take lots of long bike rides this Spring and Summer.
    >
    > The $220 didn't seem all that bad after all the swag
    > I left with and the way everything was run last summer.
    > The course *is* mostly safe and sanitary, but that
    > doesn't mean it's ugly. It's actually a pretty grand
    > sweep in terms of the big picture. The view from
    > Columbine is nice. Checkit:
    >
    > http://arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/images/columbineMine.jpg
    >
    > And it's hard enough. Being a good technical rider can
    > only help you so much. You have to be fit. And you
    > have to have your food worked out. And your bike has
    > to be pretty reliable. And if you do happen to suck at
    > technical riding it costs you half an hour. If you suck
    > at climbing, don't even bother. Running late getting to
    > the turnaround and you'll probably get caught in the
    > daily downpour that happens around lunchtime.
    > Running late getting to the finish line, you don' get
    > no belt buckle.
    > --
    > Tom Purvis - http://arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/
    >


    Not promoting the Vapor Trail Tom?

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

    Owner/Operator of the Pekingnese Ranch.
     
  15. Tom Purvis

    Tom Purvis Guest

    TJ wrote:
    >Nice Photo. How fast did you do it?


    For me it was more like, how many minutes did you have to
    spare before the cut-off?

    I finished in 11:15 which is really fine for me. Goal for 2006
    is to break 11 hours.

    In the last 90 minutes there were some really low points.
    My strategy for eating broke down, and I came close to
    bonk on the last big climb. As a "gravitationally attractive"
    rider I'm not a natural climber. I can usually get down the
    hill pretty quick, but that only helps a little on this course.

    Good advice I got before last year's race: study the typical
    split times at each aid station (recorded for each racer).
    Hopefully you know someone who's finished it before, and
    you have some idea of your speed relative to theirs. Check
    out their splits. I had my expected splits in terms of time-of-
    day printed out and taped to my stem. When I got to Twin
    Lakes the first time, I was right where I expected to be. I
    actually never fell off my expected pace until after the last
    aid station. Knowing where I was at, and whether I was in
    trouble or maintaining a pace good enough to finish in 12
    hours was comforting. It allowed me to focus on my suffering ;)

    When you get your packet for the race there will be pages of 2005
    results, with split times. For everybody from Dave Wiens down to
    freds like myself.

    Feel free to email me if you have any questions.
    tom dot purvis at gmail.
    --
    Tom Purvis - http://www.arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/
     
  16. Tom Purvis

    Tom Purvis Guest

    Craig Brossman wrote:
    >Not promoting the Vapor Trail Tom?


    Well, I'm not NOT promoting it ;)

    Seriously, this is a thread about Leadville, and we don't
    look for chances to compare the VT125 to the LT100.
    That would suggest that we thought our race was better
    than Leadville, which is far from the case. They are
    complementary events. We have great respect for
    the Leadville race, which is run like a swiss watch.
    The logistics because of number of riders, the
    completeness of the aid stations, the way the whole
    town comes out to cheer, phenomenal. Great event.

    The Vapor Trail 125 is more like a cross between the
    Cascade Cream Puff and the Kokopellis Trail race.
    Entry is capped at 75 riders, there are three aid
    stations and riders can only take food and water
    from those aid stations or anyplace else. No stashing
    clothes or extra equipment, no taking help from anyone.
    Old-style NORBA "ride what you brung" rules.

    The midnight start is a very important part of the character
    of the race. The difficulty of the terrain that the racers
    have to deal with in the wee hours is another. And the
    sheer volume of climbing, distance, technical terrain...

    I'd suggest that the curious check out our web site, and
    especially the race course. Look here:

    http://vaportrail125.com

    --
    Tom Purvis - http://www.arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/
     
  17. TJ

    TJ Guest

    "Tom Purvis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > TJ wrote:
    >>Nice Photo. How fast did you do it?

    >
    > For me it was more like, how many minutes did you have to
    > spare before the cut-off?
    >
    > I finished in 11:15 which is really fine for me. Goal for 2006
    > is to break 11 hours.
    >
    > In the last 90 minutes there were some really low points.
    > My strategy for eating broke down, and I came close to
    > bonk on the last big climb. As a "gravitationally attractive"
    > rider I'm not a natural climber. I can usually get down the
    > hill pretty quick, but that only helps a little on this course.
    >



    I am pretty "Gravitational Challenged" also. Look for me. I will be
    wearing a jersey with a picture of the monument on it. On a blue cannondale
    prophet.

    TJ
     
  18. Tom Purvis

    Tom Purvis Guest

    >I am pretty "Gravitational Challenged" also. Look for me.
    >I will be wearing a jersey with a picture of the monument
    >on it. On a blue cannondale prophet.


    The Colo National Monument? Where'd you get it?

    So, I take it you live over in Grand Junkyard. I hope to be
    getting over that way to ride sometime this month. I'll let
    you know if that comes to pass. Maybe we can ride.
    --
    Tom Purvis - http://www.arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/
     
  19. JD

    JD Guest

    TJ wrote:

    > On a blue cannondale prophet.



    How much did Ashley pay you to ride that out of his shop?

    JD
     
  20. TJ

    TJ Guest

    "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > TJ wrote:
    >
    >> On a blue cannondale prophet.

    >
    >
    > How much did Ashley pay you to ride that out of his shop?
    >
    > JD
    >


    I voluntarily rode it out. I like the way it rides, and all that other made
    in the USA patriotic stuff. I like it. It is a good ride. I had to put on
    a King rear wheel though. The Mavic hub just wouldn't hold up.

    TJ
     
Loading...
Loading...