Leadville..Ouch!

TJ

Guest
Well all. After loosing some weight and riding my bike a bunch. I am going
to try the Leadville 100. Not because it is sweet, tight, twisty,
singletrack. It is not any of those adj. I want that damn cool beltbuckle.
It was $220 to enter. That's a little on the expensive side. I know I will
be in good company there. A few of my local ridning acquaintences (sp) are
going to be there too.

Anyone here in AMB going??

www.leadvilletrail100.com

TJ

TJ wrote:
> Well all. After loosing some weight and riding my bike a bunch. I am going
> to try the Leadville 100. Not because it is sweet, tight, twisty,
> singletrack. It is not any of those adj. I want that damn cool beltbuckle.
> It was $220 to enter. That's a little on the expensive side. I know I will
> be in good company there. A few of my local ridning acquaintences (sp) are
> going to be there too.
>
> Anyone here in AMB going??
>
> www.leadvilletrail100.com
>

> TJ

Good luck!

One week earlier and I would have thought about it.

Vail & Durango 7/19 - 8/6

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> TJ wrote:
>
>> Well all. After loosing some weight and riding my bike a bunch. I am
>> going to try the Leadville 100. Not because it is sweet, tight,
>> twisty, singletrack. It is not any of those adj. I want that damn
>> cool beltbuckle. It was $220 to enter. That's a little on the
>> expensive side. I know I will be in good company there. A few of my
>> local ridning acquaintences (sp) are going to be there too.
>>
>> Anyone here in AMB going??
>>
>> www.leadvilletrail100.com
>>

>> TJ
>>

> Good luck!
>
> One week earlier and I would have thought about it.
>
> Vail & Durango 7/19 - 8/6

I've considered it a few times, and a bunch of my friends do it, but man
it sure looks brutal.
I figure I'll do Leadville and the Grand Traverse one day, but I'm just
too into riding and skiing for fun for that kind of pain at this point.

Matt (I guess I'm just a wuss)

MattB wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>> TJ wrote:
>>
>>> Well all. After loosing some weight and riding my bike a bunch. I am
>>> going to try the Leadville 100. Not because it is sweet, tight,
>>> twisty, singletrack. It is not any of those adj. I want that damn
>>> cool beltbuckle. It was $220 to enter. That's a little on the
>>> expensive side. I know I will be in good company there. A few of my
>>> local ridning acquaintences (sp) are going to be there too.
>>>
>>> Anyone here in AMB going??
>>>
>>> www.leadvilletrail100.com
>>>

>>> TJ
>>>

>> Good luck!
>>
>> One week earlier and I would have thought about it.
>>
>> Vail & Durango 7/19 - 8/6
>>

> I've considered it a few times, and a bunch of my friends do it, but man
> it sure looks brutal.
> I figure I'll do Leadville and the Grand Traverse one day, but I'm just
> too into riding and skiing for fun for that kind of pain at this point.
>
> Matt (I guess I'm just a wuss)

Not racing does not mean you are a wuss. I do one race a year and I
hate it. Why do I do it then? I don't know, I just get sucked into the
whole competition thing. This year I am swearing it off! I mean it, I
can quit any time /jitter jitter twitch twitch/.

The other thing that turns me off about racing is why should I have to
pay $200+ to ride the same trails I can ride for free?

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> MattB wrote:
>> Ride-A-Lot wrote:

>>> Good luck!
>>>
>>> One week earlier and I would have thought about it.
>>>
>>> Vail & Durango 7/19 - 8/6
>>>

>> I've considered it a few times, and a bunch of my friends do it, but
>> man it sure looks brutal.
>> I figure I'll do Leadville and the Grand Traverse one day, but I'm
>> just too into riding and skiing for fun for that kind of pain at this
>> point.
>>
>> Matt (I guess I'm just a wuss)

> Not racing does not mean you are a wuss. I do one race a year and I
> hate it. Why do I do it then? I don't know, I just get sucked into the
> whole competition thing. This year I am swearing it off! I mean it, I
> can quit any time /jitter jitter twitch twitch/.
>
> The other thing that turns me off about racing is why should I have to
> pay $200+ to ride the same trails I can ride for free?

Not much single track in that ride, but I hear the Vapor Trail 125 has
lots. More elevation gain as well!

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

Owner/Operator of the Pekingnese Ranch.

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

> Not racing does not mean you are a wuss. I do one race a year and I
> hate it. Why do I do it then? I don't know, I just get sucked into the
> whole competition thing. This year I am swearing it off! I mean it, I
> can quit any time /jitter jitter twitch twitch/.
>
> The other thing that turns me off about racing is why should I have to
> pay $200+ to ride the same trails I can ride for free?

$200? You must be talkin bout dem 168 hour events or sumtin.

The one nice thing about racing is that if they have good singletrack
it's one of the times you can haul ass without guilt.

Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

G.T. wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>>

>> Not racing does not mean you are a wuss. I do one race a year and I
>> hate it. Why do I do it then? I don't know, I just get sucked into
>> the whole competition thing. This year I am swearing it off! I mean
>> it, I can quit any time /jitter jitter twitch twitch/.
>>
>> The other thing that turns me off about racing is why should I have to
>> pay $200+ to ride the same trails I can ride for free?
>>

> $200? You must be talkin bout dem 168 hour events or sumtin.
>
> The one nice thing about racing is that if they have good singletrack
> it's one of the times you can haul ass without guilt.
>
> Greg

He just said the L100 was $220. The 24 Hours of Allamuchy (the one I
enter) is up to $140 if you don't register early. For that you get a
guaranteed 24 hours of rain (hasn't failed yet), camping in a Boy Scout
camp that hasn't been renovated in 60 years (including the hole in the
ground called a bathroom), 10 miles of singletrack (that you do over and
over again), cheaters (especially some of the solo riders), and no sleep.

Is it fun? Hell ya!

/I'm not going to do it! I'm not going to do it! I'm not going to do it!

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> MattB wrote:
>
>> Ride-A-Lot wrote:

>>> Good luck!
>>>
>>> One week earlier and I would have thought about it.
>>>
>>> Vail & Durango 7/19 - 8/6
>>>

>> I've considered it a few times, and a bunch of my friends do it, but
>> man it sure looks brutal.
>> I figure I'll do Leadville and the Grand Traverse one day, but I'm
>> just too into riding and skiing for fun for that kind of pain at this
>> point.
>>
>> Matt (I guess I'm just a wuss)

> Not racing does not mean you are a wuss. I do one race a year and I
> hate it. Why do I do it then? I don't know, I just get sucked into the
> whole competition thing. This year I am swearing it off! I mean it, I
> can quit any time /jitter jitter twitch twitch/.
>
> The other thing that turns me off about racing is why should I have to
> pay $200+ to ride the same trails I can ride for free?

Yes I know that of course, it was meant as tongue-in-cheek remark (I'm
pretty sure I'm not a wuss, except when it comes to riding in high
temperatures). I usually do a race or few every year too. The Leadville
100 is mostly dirt roads and jeep trails, so if I was ever to do it it
would be for the challenge rather than the good riding. I'd pretty much
take a nice solo (or with a friend or two) ride on some prime
singletrack over just about any race, but like you I get sucked in from
time to time.

Matt

G.T. wrote:
> The one nice thing about racing is that if they have good singletrack
> it's one of the times you can haul ass without guilt.

But the LV100 is fire and jeep roads.

I have plenty of haunts in CO where I can haul ass without guilt. I
rode something Sunday and because of the time of day and nature of the
trail, hauled major ass without any guilt. I'll never pay to haul ass,
nor for a belt buckle.

JD

JD wrote:
> G.T. wrote:
>> The one nice thing about racing is that if they have good singletrack
>> it's one of the times you can haul ass without guilt.

> But the LV100 is fire and jeep roads.
>
> I have plenty of haunts in CO where I can haul ass without guilt. I
> rode something Sunday and because of the time of day and nature of the
> trail, hauled major ass without any guilt. I'll never pay to haul ass,
> nor for a belt buckle.
>
> JD

It's a really nice belt buckle!

--

GWood wrote:
>Is there a time limit ?

12 hours or no belt buckle.

I'm doing it again. I can ride wonderful, rarely seen
stuff all by myself almost any time. The Leadville
Trail 100 is a class event. And a good inducement
to take lots of long bike rides this Spring and Summer.

The $220 didn't seem all that bad after all the swag
I left with and the way everything was run last summer.
The course *is* mostly safe and sanitary, but that
doesn't mean it's ugly. It's actually a pretty grand
sweep in terms of the big picture. The view from
Columbine is nice. Checkit:

http://arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/images/columbineMine.jpg

And it's hard enough. Being a good technical rider can
only help you so much. You have to be fit. And you
have to have your food worked out. And your bike has
to be pretty reliable. And if you do happen to suck at
technical riding it costs you half an hour. If you suck
at climbing, don't even bother. Running late getting to
the turnaround and you'll probably get caught in the
daily downpour that happens around lunchtime.
Running late getting to the finish line, you don' get
no belt buckle.
--
Tom Purvis - http://arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/

"Tom Purvis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> GWood wrote:
>>Is there a time limit ?

> 12 hours or no belt buckle.
>
> I'm doing it again. I can ride wonderful, rarely seen
> stuff all by myself almost any time. The Leadville
> Trail 100 is a class event. And a good inducement
> to take lots of long bike rides this Spring and Summer.
>
> The $220 didn't seem all that bad after all the swag
> I left with and the way everything was run last summer.
> The course *is* mostly safe and sanitary, but that
> doesn't mean it's ugly. It's actually a pretty grand
> sweep in terms of the big picture. The view from
> Columbine is nice. Checkit:
>
> http://arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/images/columbineMine.jpg
>
> And it's hard enough. Being a good technical rider can
> only help you so much. You have to be fit. And you
> have to have your food worked out. And your bike has
> to be pretty reliable. And if you do happen to suck at
> technical riding it costs you half an hour. If you suck
> at climbing, don't even bother. Running late getting to
> the turnaround and you'll probably get caught in the
> daily downpour that happens around lunchtime.
> Running late getting to the finish line, you don' get
> no belt buckle.
> --
> Tom Purvis - http://arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/

Nice Photo. How fast did you do it?

TJ

Tom Purvis wrote:
> GWood wrote:
>> Is there a time limit ?

> 12 hours or no belt buckle.
>
> I'm doing it again. I can ride wonderful, rarely seen
> stuff all by myself almost any time. The Leadville
> Trail 100 is a class event. And a good inducement
> to take lots of long bike rides this Spring and Summer.
>
> The $220 didn't seem all that bad after all the swag
> I left with and the way everything was run last summer.
> The course *is* mostly safe and sanitary, but that
> doesn't mean it's ugly. It's actually a pretty grand
> sweep in terms of the big picture. The view from
> Columbine is nice. Checkit:
>
> http://arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/images/columbineMine.jpg
>
> And it's hard enough. Being a good technical rider can
> only help you so much. You have to be fit. And you
> have to have your food worked out. And your bike has
> to be pretty reliable. And if you do happen to suck at
> technical riding it costs you half an hour. If you suck
> at climbing, don't even bother. Running late getting to
> the turnaround and you'll probably get caught in the
> daily downpour that happens around lunchtime.
> Running late getting to the finish line, you don' get
> no belt buckle.
> --
> Tom Purvis - http://arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/

Not promoting the Vapor Trail Tom?

--

TJ wrote:
>Nice Photo. How fast did you do it?

For me it was more like, how many minutes did you have to
spare before the cut-off?

I finished in 11:15 which is really fine for me. Goal for 2006
is to break 11 hours.

In the last 90 minutes there were some really low points.
My strategy for eating broke down, and I came close to
bonk on the last big climb. As a "gravitationally attractive"
rider I'm not a natural climber. I can usually get down the
hill pretty quick, but that only helps a little on this course.

Good advice I got before last year's race: study the typical
split times at each aid station (recorded for each racer).
Hopefully you know someone who's finished it before, and
you have some idea of your speed relative to theirs. Check
out their splits. I had my expected splits in terms of time-of-
day printed out and taped to my stem. When I got to Twin
Lakes the first time, I was right where I expected to be. I
actually never fell off my expected pace until after the last
aid station. Knowing where I was at, and whether I was in
trouble or maintaining a pace good enough to finish in 12
hours was comforting. It allowed me to focus on my suffering ;)

When you get your packet for the race there will be pages of 2005
results, with split times. For everybody from Dave Wiens down to
freds like myself.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions.
tom dot purvis at gmail.
--
Tom Purvis - http://www.arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/

Craig Brossman wrote:
>Not promoting the Vapor Trail Tom?

Well, I'm not NOT promoting it ;)

Seriously, this is a thread about Leadville, and we don't
look for chances to compare the VT125 to the LT100.
That would suggest that we thought our race was better
than Leadville, which is far from the case. They are
complementary events. We have great respect for
the Leadville race, which is run like a swiss watch.
The logistics because of number of riders, the
completeness of the aid stations, the way the whole
town comes out to cheer, phenomenal. Great event.

The Vapor Trail 125 is more like a cross between the
Cascade Cream Puff and the Kokopellis Trail race.
Entry is capped at 75 riders, there are three aid
stations and riders can only take food and water
from those aid stations or anyplace else. No stashing
clothes or extra equipment, no taking help from anyone.
Old-style NORBA "ride what you brung" rules.

The midnight start is a very important part of the character
of the race. The difficulty of the terrain that the racers
have to deal with in the wee hours is another. And the
sheer volume of climbing, distance, technical terrain...

I'd suggest that the curious check out our web site, and
especially the race course. Look here:

http://vaportrail125.com

--
Tom Purvis - http://www.arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/

"Tom Purvis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> TJ wrote:
>>Nice Photo. How fast did you do it?

> For me it was more like, how many minutes did you have to
> spare before the cut-off?
>
> I finished in 11:15 which is really fine for me. Goal for 2006
> is to break 11 hours.
>
> In the last 90 minutes there were some really low points.
> My strategy for eating broke down, and I came close to
> bonk on the last big climb. As a "gravitationally attractive"
> rider I'm not a natural climber. I can usually get down the
> hill pretty quick, but that only helps a little on this course.

I am pretty "Gravitational Challenged" also. Look for me. I will be
wearing a jersey with a picture of the monument on it. On a blue cannondale
prophet.

TJ

>I am pretty "Gravitational Challenged" also. Look for me.
>I will be wearing a jersey with a picture of the monument
>on it. On a blue cannondale prophet.

The Colo National Monument? Where'd you get it?

So, I take it you live over in Grand Junkyard. I hope to be
getting over that way to ride sometime this month. I'll let
you know if that comes to pass. Maybe we can ride.
--

TJ wrote:

> On a blue cannondale prophet.

How much did Ashley pay you to ride that out of his shop?

JD

> TJ wrote:
>
>> On a blue cannondale prophet.

> How much did Ashley pay you to ride that out of his shop?
>
> JD

I voluntarily rode it out. I like the way it rides, and all that other made
in the USA patriotic stuff. I like it. It is a good ride. I had to put on
a King rear wheel though. The Mavic hub just wouldn't hold up.

TJ