League of American Bicyclists

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 23:12:14 -0400, [email protected] wrote:

>On Tue, 31 May 2005 12:20:24 -0400, "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>Peter Cole wrote:
>>
>>> It would be an
>>> effective rebuttal to those who think "cyclists don't pay their
>>> share".

>>I bet that as a group, cyclists pay more in taxes than average. Note how many
>>upscale brands are targetting cycling events and magazines, trying to get a
>>piece of our higher than average incomes.

>Sorry to respond to this so late, but I was thinking about commuting to
>work on my bike--anyway, I'm nowhere near high-end income; are there any
>dependable figures that I can take a look at that indicate how many people
>are regularly riding their bicycles and how income levels are represented
>among that group?

No idea, all I can add is that commuting by bike (in NYC) is
certainly not cheaper than commuting by subway. It might just about
break even if you do all of your own bike maintenance and don't buy
any gizmos. Perhaps if you work in the fact that you can drop your gym
membership it would be cheaper.

[email protected] wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Sorry to respond to this so late, but I was thinking about
> commuting to work on my bike--anyway, I'm nowhere near high-end
> income; are there any dependable figures that I can take a look at
> that indicate how many people are regularly riding their bicycles
> and how income levels are represented among that group?

Exactly how does that matter?