League of Careful Cyclists

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Dick Durbin, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Dick Durbin

    Dick Durbin Guest

    Recently, SWMBO and I went antique shopping and I found a framed certificate that read as follows:

    This is to certify that Angela Hogg has been elected a Shield Bearer in The Circle of Silver
    Knights. The League of Careful Cyclists Given under the Seal of the Order this 22nd day of
    August 1950

    A banner at the top reads, "Sponsored by Raleigh Industries, Ltd. Nottingham"

    A similar banner across the bottom reads, "Make the Roads Safe for All."

    I thought it was quite a hoot.

    Dick Durbin

    Tags:

  2. Andrew Price

    Andrew Price Guest

    "Dick Durbin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Recently, SWMBO and I went antique shopping and I found a framed certificate that read

    Help please with text and pronunciation of "SWMBO" ?

    best , Andrew (a student of bicycles and language) (remove .x1 to reply)

  3. Max

    Max Guest

    Andrew Price wrote:

    > "Dick Durbin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Recently, SWMBO and I went antique shopping and I found a framed certificate that read
    >
    > Help please with text and pronunciation of "SWMBO" ?

    "sumbo", "swumbo" or "soombo" :== She Who Must Be Obeyed.

    .max

  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 08:34:56 GMT, "Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Help please with text and pronunciation of "SWMBO" ?

    "She Who Must Be Obeyed" from the H Rider Haggard novel "She" as quoted by Horace Rumpole in John
    Mortimer's Rumpole of the Bailey books. Rumpole invariably refers to his wife Hilda as "She" or "She
    Who Must Be Obeyed," particularly where vim or Brillo pads are concerned.

    If you've never read them, I urge you to seek out the Rumpole books in your local library. Also
    available on video (depending on location) with Leo McKern putting in a truly exceptional
    performance as the eponymous hero. Beautiful stuff, heartwarming and witty.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  5. Peter Storey

    Peter Storey Guest

    [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> Help please with text and pronunciation of "SWMBO" ?
    > >
    > >"sumbo", "swumbo" or "soombo" :== She Who Must Be Obeyed.
    > >

    > Often the same person is SWIAW "She Who Is Always Right"
    >
    > I am chief member of both organisations ;-)
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

    Reminds me of a philosophical riddle that my brother put to me last summer:

    "If a husband ventures an opinion in the forest and his wife is not there to hear it, is he
    still wrong?"

    Peter Storey

  6. Dick Durbin

    Dick Durbin Guest

    > On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 08:34:56 GMT, "Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Help please with text and pronunciation of "SWMBO" ?
    >
    > "She Who Must Be Obeyed" from the H Rider Haggard novel "She" as quoted by Horace Rumpole in John
    > Mortimer's Rumpole of the Bailey books. Rumpole invariably refers to his wife Hilda as "She" or
    > "She Who Must Be Obeyed," particularly where vim or Brillo pads are concerned.
    >
    > If you've never read them, I urge you to seek out the Rumpole books in your local library. Also
    > available on video (depending on location) with Leo McKern putting in a truly exceptional
    > performance as the eponymous hero. Beautiful stuff, heartwarming and witty.

    Exactamundo. Give that Guy a cheroot for the most accurate and discerning answer.