Leak proof goggle fit during race?

B

Billx

Am I the only one with the problem of starting a race only to find my goggles are leaking on one
side? I use Baracuda 300's with foam seal. Would it be better to use a suction type goggle like
Speedo for racing despite the racoon eyes and discomfort for a more reliable fit. What do others
think? I don't have problems with the Baracuda goggles sealing indoors but for some reason in the
open water they often leak... for me :-(

"BillX" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Am I the only one with the problem of starting a race only to find my goggles are leaking on one
> side? I use Baracuda 300's with foam seal. Would it be better to use a suction type goggle like
> Speedo for racing despite the racoon eyes and discomfort for a more reliable fit. What do others
> think? I don't have problems with the Baracuda goggles sealing indoors but for some reason in the
> open water they often leak... for me :-(

There's no reason for anyone to have leaking goggles, or, fairly uncomfortable ones. I've used
Speedos for 25 years now, almost without problem. Several things to remember -

1. Don't try cheap goggles. (By cheap I mean primarily imitations.) Ask what the local swim team
likes perhaps. Speedo, Arena, etc - these should do the trick. Some people like latex, but I've
stuck with foam.

2. Try them out extensively before the race! NEVER use something unproven on race day!

3. Remember that they can be adjusted, and they usually won't fit unless you do so. That's what the
notches on the nose strap is for. You also need a reasonably tight fit as well - some vacuum.

4. Lastly, they will likely need to be more snug in open water than in a pool, due to the choppiness
of the water. Sure, you may feel that you have "raccoon eyes", but with a decent pair adjusted
correctly, it shouldn't be very uncomfortable.

Try out different goggles in the open water until you find one that you are happy with!

Goggles are one piece of equipment that really takes some trial and error. You are one step ahead of
the game as you know that Barracuds's don't work.

Like a skin\scuba diving mask, I suggest trying them on in the stor without the strap and seeing if
they will suck onto your face. Every face is different and my Speedo Hydrospecs are probably not any
good for you. Spoedo alone makes like 10 different types.

I found a Speedo store at my local mall and they had many types on the wall and encouraged me to
open the packs and try them on.

Final test, once you have a pair that fits well, submerge yourself in the bathtub and have three or
four rugby players jump in with you and fight for the ball to simulate a typical race start.

BW

"BillX" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Am I the only one with the problem of starting a race only to find my goggles are leaking on one
> side? I use Baracuda 300's with foam seal. Would it be better to use a suction type goggle like
> Speedo for racing despite the racoon eyes and discomfort for a more reliable fit. What do others
> think? I don't have problems with the Baracuda goggles sealing indoors but for some reason in the
> open water they often leak... for me :-(

I just got the AquaSphere seal mask and it works very well for me. The only other goggles I've found
that will work for me are these cheap Sprint goggles I bought at a YMCA. I agree, lots of trial and
error to find the right goggle.

Mike B.

topdog wrote:
> "BillX" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>Am I the only one with the problem of starting a race only to find my goggles are leaking on one
>>side? I use Baracuda 300's with foam seal. Would it be better to use a suction type goggle like
>>Speedo for racing despite the racoon eyes and discomfort for a more reliable fit. What do others
>>think? I don't have problems with the Baracuda goggles sealing indoors but for some reason in the
>>open water they often leak... for me :-(
>
>
> There's no reason for anyone to have leaking goggles, or, fairly uncomfortable ones. I've used
> Speedos for 25 years now, almost without problem. Several things to remember -
>
> 1. Don't try cheap goggles. (By cheap I mean primarily imitations.) Ask what the local swim team
> likes perhaps. Speedo, Arena, etc - these should do the trick. Some people like latex, but I've
> stuck with foam.
>
> 2. Try them out extensively before the race! NEVER use something unproven on race day!
>
> 3. Remember that they can be adjusted, and they usually won't fit unless you do so. That's what
> the notches on the nose strap is for. You also need a reasonably tight fit as well - some
> vacuum.
>
> 4. Lastly, they will likely need to be more snug in open water than in a pool, due to the
> choppiness of the water. Sure, you may feel that you have "raccoon eyes", but with a decent
> pair adjusted correctly, it shouldn't be very uncomfortable.
>
> Try out different goggles in the open water until you find one that you are happy with!

Each person's face is shaped differently, the only way to find a leak-proof set of googles for one's
self is to try different pairs. Most swimmers on swim teams will be wearing the 'Swedish' goggles.
The ones with no foam, no latex, just plastic. A given person may find this uncomfortable and/or
leaky. The only way to truly find a pair for you is to try them until you find them.

--

Cheers,

Walter R. Strapps, Ph.D

"The sheer closeness of our two countries and the intensity of our mutual interaction combined with
the disparity between us in terms of wealth and power--all these things guarantee there will be
problems in U.S.-Canadian relations without anybody having to do anything to deliberately worsen the
situation."

Robert L. Stanfield, Oct. 28, 1971

Must say that I love Zogg's Phantoms.

I've had trouble with others, but these seem to be really anatomically fitted.

Good luck,
Harrow.