learned a few things today

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Penny S., Apr 5, 2003.

  1. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    after my ride I headed down to my LBS because I thought I'd get a new chain. Weird.. a Saturday and
    there is parking out front; the owner is headed out the front door and it's still and quiet inside.
    And here I was feeling guilty about taking their time on a typical Saturday.

    So Brian throws my bike on the stand and checks the chain with the "official" tool. He tell me to
    wait until June or so...might as well wait until the muddy sand season is over. Then I ask him to
    take a look at the rear wheel as I couldn't get it true. He works on it a bit, calls over the other
    guy, Guy who takes it down stairs to the wheel stand. Uh-oh... there's flat spot in the rim and he
    can't get it true either. Must have been something I did last year as I haven't hit anything this
    year. But... it's not that bad, I might as well wait until it gets unbearable ( at $150 to build a
    new one, Mavic hub, I am relived for the moment.)

    I get a lesson in a trick on how to clean the crud off the pulleys on the rear derailleur; an
    assessment of my chain oiling technique, and the old once over.

    I better spend some money there next time, and of course they know I will.

    Penny

    Tags:

  2. Flyingcoyote

    Flyingcoyote Guest

    : I get a lesson in a trick on how to clean the crud off the pulleys on the rear derailleur; an
    : assessment of my chain oiling technique, and the old once over.

    So, you gonna share this trick? ;) (I just use a soft wire brush and pedal it backwards...)

    --

    FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com

    --

  3. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    > after my ride I headed down to my LBS because I thought I'd get a new chain. Weird.. a Saturday
    > and there is parking out front; the owner is headed out the front door and it's still and quiet
    > inside. And here I was feeling guilty about taking their time on a typical Saturday.
    >
    > So Brian throws my bike on the stand and checks the chain with the "official" tool. He tell me to
    > wait until June or so...might as well wait until the muddy sand season is over. Then I ask him to
    > take a look at the rear wheel as I couldn't get it true. He works on it a bit, calls over
    the
    > other guy, Guy who takes it down stairs to the wheel stand. Uh-oh...
    there's
    > flat spot in the rim and he can't get it true either. Must have been something I did last year as
    > I haven't hit anything this year. But...
    it's
    > not that bad, I might as well wait until it gets unbearable ( at $150 to build a new one, Mavic
    > hub, I am relived for the moment.)
    >
    > I get a lesson in a trick on how to clean the crud off the pulleys on the rear derailleur; an
    > assessment of my chain oiling technique, and the old once over.
    >
    > I better spend some money there next time, and of course they know I will.

    So what's the (secret?) pulley-crud-removal trick?

    Bill "applies rag whilst backpedaling" S.

  4. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > : I get a lesson in a trick on how to clean the crud off the pulleys on the rear derailleur; an
    > : assessment of my chain oiling technique, and the old once over.
    >
    > So, you gonna share this trick? ;) (I just use a soft wire brush and pedal it backwards...)
    >
    > --
    >
    > FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com

    I just hold a rag on the non-chain half and pedal.
    --
    Slacker

  5. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Slacker wrote:
    > "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >>> I get a lesson in a trick on how to clean the crud off the pulleys on the rear derailleur; an
    >>> assessment of my chain oiling technique, and the old once over.
    >>
    >> So, you gonna share this trick? ;) (I just use a soft wire brush and pedal it backwards...)
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
    >

    > I just hold a rag on the non-chain half and pedal.

    take a standard screwdriver and apply the flat portion the head to the pulley while pedaling and it
    skims the goo right off. Much better than a rag.

  6. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    > Slacker wrote:
    > > "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]...

    > >> So, you gonna share this trick? ;) (I just use a soft wire brush and pedal it backwards...)

    > > I just hold a rag on the non-chain half and pedal.
    >

    > take a standard screwdriver and apply the flat portion the head to the pulley while pedaling and
    > it skims the goo right off. Much better than a rag.

    Ah. But do you end with a twist or a counterclockwise swirl?!?

    Bill "too many {S-word} reruns" S.

  7. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Sorni wrote:
    >> Slacker wrote:
    >>> "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]...

    >>> I just hold a rag on the non-chain half and pedal.
    >>

    >> take a standard screwdriver and apply the flat portion the head to the pulley while pedaling and
    >> it skims the goo right off. Much better than a rag.
    >
    > Ah. But do you end with a twist or a counterclockwise swirl?!?
    >
    > Bill "too many {S-word} reruns" S.

    oh and use a really small one- fit's the shape of the pulley just right.

  8. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Penny S. wrote:
    > Slacker wrote:
    >
    >>"FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >>>"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:[email protected]...

    >>>So, you gonna share this trick? ;) (I just use a soft wire brush and pedal it backwards...)
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>
    >>>FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
    >>

    >>I just hold a rag on the non-chain half and pedal.
    >

    > take a standard screwdriver and apply the flat portion the head to the pulley while pedaling and
    > it skims the goo right off. Much better than a rag.

    Bike shop suggested a cut-off cable tie -- it won't scratch. But, I find that the brush that I use
    for the gears works just as well (stiff plastic bristles). Oh, and do the rest (pedal backwards
    while holding it against where the chain isn't).

    David

  9. Gary In Va

    Gary In Va Guest

    > Ah. But do you end with a twist or a counterclockwise swirl?!?
    >
    > Bill "too many {S-word} reruns" S.

    Just don't pinch. They don't like that.

    Gary in VA (who sees (S-word) reruns 3 times a weekday)

  10. Westie

    Westie Guest

    > Slacker wrote:
    > > "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]...

    > >> So, you gonna share this trick? ;) (I just use a soft wire brush and pedal it backwards...)
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
    > >

    > > I just hold a rag on the non-chain half and pedal.
    >

    > take a standard screwdriver and apply the flat portion the head to the pulley while pedaling and
    > it skims the goo right off. Much better than a rag.

    Yes! I got it! It works a treat! Ha Ha! <punches air triumphantly with
    fist>
    --
    Westie - its the little things...

  11. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 17:21:37 -0800, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:

    [snip]
    >I get a lesson in a trick on how to clean the crud off the pulleys on the rear derailleur;

    I don't get it...I just don't get it. Whats a derailleur and why does one need one?

    ????, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
    :-]

  12. Alan Wilson

    Alan Wilson Guest

    or you could just use your fingernail like a normal person.......

    Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Slacker wrote:
    > > "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]...

    > >> So, you gonna share this trick? ;) (I just use a soft wire brush and pedal it backwards...)
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
    > >

    > > I just hold a rag on the non-chain half and pedal.
    >

    > take a standard screwdriver and apply the flat portion the head to the pulley while pedaling and
    > it skims the goo right off. Much better than a rag.

  13. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Slacker wrote:
    > > > "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > I just hold a rag on the non-chain half and pedal.
    > >

    > > take a standard screwdriver and apply the flat portion the head to the pulley while pedaling and
    > > it skims the goo right off. Much better than
    > > rag.

    "Alan Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > or you could just use your fingernail like a normal person.......

    Oh my!!! But she might chip her nail polish!!!

    Mike - maybe an orangewood stick would be better. ;^)

  14. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    (top posting fixed, alan take note)

    Alan Wilson wrote:
    > or you could just use your fingernail like a normal person.......

    What, and risk breaking a nail?

    Penny

  15. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > after my ride I headed down to my LBS because I thought I'd get a new chain. Weird.. a Saturday
    > and there is parking out front; the owner is headed out the front door and it's still and quiet
    > inside. And here I was feeling guilty about taking their time on a typical Saturday.
    >
    > So Brian throws my bike on the stand and checks the chain with the "official" tool. He tell me to
    > wait until June or so...might as well wait until the muddy sand season is over. Then I ask him to
    > take a look at the rear wheel as I couldn't get it true. He works on it a bit, calls over the
    > other guy, Guy who takes it down stairs to the wheel stand. Uh-oh... there's flat spot in the rim
    > and he can't get it true either. Must have been something I did last year as I haven't hit
    > anything this year. But... it's not that bad, I might as well wait until it gets unbearable ( at
    > $150 to build a new one, Mavic hub, I am relived for the moment.)

    Damn kona. That wouldn't have happened to a real bike.

    JD