learning basics

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mike L, May 15, 2003.

  1. Mike L

    Mike L Guest

    I just tried my first foray off-road on my brand new Trek 4300 across a ditch. I thought I could
    ride through but it was the same diameter as my wheel and I did a beautiful face plant. Are
    there any online resources describing basic techniques? Thanks a <spits out a wad of dirt>
    million. Mike L.

    Tags:

  2. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Mike L wrote:
    > I just tried my first foray off-road on my brand new Trek 4300 across a ditch. I thought I could
    > ride through but it was the same diameter as my wheel and I did a beautiful face plant. Are there
    > any online resources describing basic techniques? Thanks a <spits out a wad of
    > dirt> million. Mike L.

    book... Ned Overend's Mountain Bike Like a Champion

    then down load and watch Pete's blooper video. You'll feel better.

    Penny

  3. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Thu, 15 May 2003 22:32:44 GMT, Mike L wrote:
    > I just tried my first foray off-road on my brand new Trek 4300 across a ditch. I thought I could
    > ride through but it was the same diameter as my wheel and I did a beautiful face plant. Are there
    > any online resources describing basic techniques?

    Sounds like you got it down pretty well. :)

    Its kind of old, but I don't suppose riding has changed that much:
    http://isc.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/mountain-bikes

  4. Ken

    Ken Guest

  5. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Mike L wrote:
    > > I just tried my first foray off-road on my brand new Trek 4300 across a ditch. I thought I could
    > > ride through but it was the same diameter as my wheel and I did a beautiful face plant. Are
    > > there any online resources describing basic techniques? Thanks a <spits out a wad of
    > > dirt> million. Mike L.
    >
    > book... Ned Overend's Mountain Bike Like a Champion
    >
    > then down load and watch Pete's blooper video. You'll feel better.
    >
    > Penny

    Pete has a blooper video? i'll have to check that out.
    --
    ~Travis

  6. Mike L

    Mike L Guest

    Yep, I really nailed that move <g>. Thanks for the link. Looks good. Mike L In article
    <[email protected]>, BB <[email protected]> wrote:
    >On Thu, 15 May 2003 22:32:44 GMT, Mike L wrote:
    >> I just tried my first foray off-road on my brand new Trek 4300 across a
    > ditch.
    >> I thought I could ride through but it was the same diameter as my wheel and I
    >
    >> did a beautiful face plant. Are there any online resources describing basic techniques?
    >
    >Sounds like you got it down pretty well. :)
    >
    >Its kind of old, but I don't suppose riding has changed that much:
    >http://isc.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/mountain-bikes

  7. Mike L

    Mike L Guest

    Yep, I nailed that move <g>. Thanks for the link, it looks good. Mike L.

    In article <[email protected]>, BB <[email protected]> wrote:
    >On Thu, 15 May 2003 22:32:44 GMT, Mike L wrote:
    >> I just tried my first foray off-road on my brand new Trek 4300 across a
    > ditch.
    >> I thought I could ride through but it was the same diameter as my wheel and I
    >
    >> did a beautiful face plant. Are there any online resources describing basic techniques?
    >
    >Sounds like you got it down pretty well. :)
    >
    >Its kind of old, but I don't suppose riding has changed that much:
    >http://isc.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/mountain-bikes

  8. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Technician wrote:
    >> Mike L wrote:
    >>> I just tried my first foray off-road on my brand new Trek 4300 across a ditch. I thought I could
    >>> ride through but it was the same diameter as my wheel and I did a beautiful face plant. Are
    >>> there any online resources describing basic techniques? Thanks a <spits out a wad of dirt>
    >>> million. Mike L.
    >>
    >> book... Ned Overend's Mountain Bike Like a Champion
    >>
    >> then down load and watch Pete's blooper video. You'll feel better.
    >>
    >> Penny
    >>

    > Pete has a blooper video? i'll have to check that out.

    has? had? did? does? Anyway, It's called somthing like, "how the rest of us ride" or, " Mortals
    on Wheels"

  9. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Technician wrote:
    > >>
    > >> book... Ned Overend's Mountain Bike Like a Champion
    > >>
    > >> then down load and watch Pete's blooper video. You'll feel better.
    > >>
    > >> Penny
    > >>

    > > Pete has a blooper video? i'll have to check that out.
    >
    > has? had? did? does? Anyway, It's called somthing like, "how the rest of us ride" or, " Mortals
    > on Wheels"

    All i managed to find was "bloopers from arizona". i'm downloading it anyway.
    --
    ~Travis

  10. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Thu, 15 May 2003 22:32:44 GMT, [email protected] (Mike L) wrote:

    >I just tried my first foray off-road on my brand new Trek 4300 across a ditch. I thought I could
    >ride through but it was the same diameter as my wheel and I did a beautiful face plant.

    D'oh! that is funny.

    >Are there any online resources describing basic techniques?

    No, the only resources available are the resources in this NG. The advice found hear is always
    sound, intelligent and never wrong.

    Peace,

    :-]

  11. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Bill Wheeler wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 May 2003 22:32:44 GMT, [email protected] (Mike L) wrote:
    >
    >> I just tried my first foray off-road on my brand new Trek 4300 across a ditch. I thought I could
    >> ride through but it was the same diameter as my wheel and I did a beautiful face plant.
    >
    > D'oh! that is funny.
    >

    >> Are there any online resources describing basic techniques?
    >
    > No, the only resources available are the resources in this NG. The advice found hear is always
    > sound, intelligent and never wrong.

    Wasn't there just a long thread on this very move recently? Hmm,what was that called?

    Penny

  12. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Bill Wheeler wrote:
    > > On Thu, 15 May 2003 22:32:44 GMT, [email protected] (Mike L) wrote:
    > >
    > >> I just tried my first foray off-road on my brand new Trek 4300 across a ditch. I thought I
    > >> could ride through but it was the same diameter as my wheel and I did a beautiful face plant.
    > >
    > > D'oh! that is funny.
    > >

    > >> Are there any online resources describing basic techniques?
    > >
    > > No, the only resources available are the resources in this NG. The advice found hear is always
    > > sound, intelligent and never wrong.
    > >

    > Wasn't there just a long thread on this very move recently? Hmm,what was that called?
    >
    > Penny

    "Endo again" http://groups.google.com/groups?&threadm=BzZqa.1509%24pJ6.1111% 40fed1read05 (^ gotta
    paste url back together) That's the start of the thread as google has it archived.
    --
    ~Travis

  13. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0875963005/qid=1053056758/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/002-52123-
    59-5339206?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

    "Mike L" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just tried my first foray off-road on my brand new Trek 4300 across a
    ditch.
    > I thought I could ride through but it was the same diameter as my wheel
    and I
    > did a beautiful face plant. Are there any online resources describing
    basic
    > techniques? Thanks a <spits out a wad of dirt> million. Mike L.

  14. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    Better yet:

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0897321146/ref=pd_sxp_elt_l1/002-5212359-5339206

    Outdated, but still conveys the message really well - and is pretty damn funny too.

    Jon Bond

    "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0875963005/qid=1053056758/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/002-52123-
    59-5339206?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

    > --
    > - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)
    >

    > "Mike L" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I just tried my first foray off-road on my brand new Trek 4300 across a
    > ditch.
    > > I thought I could ride through but it was the same diameter as my wheel
    > and I
    > > did a beautiful face plant. Are there any online resources describing
    > basic
    > > techniques? Thanks a <spits out a wad of dirt> million. Mike L.

  15. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Better yet:
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0897321146/ref=pd_sxp_elt_l1/002-5212359-5339206
    >
    > Outdated, but still conveys the message really well - and is pretty damn funny too.
    >
    > Jon Bond
    >
    > "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0875963005/qid=1053056758/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/002-52-
    > 12359-5339206?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
    > >
    > > --
    > > - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)
    > >

    > > "Mike L" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I just tried my first foray off-road on my brand new Trek 4300 across a
    > ditch.
    > > > I thought I could ride through but it was the same diameter as my wheel
    > and I
    > > > did a beautiful face plant. Are there any online resources describing
    > basic
    > > > techniques? Thanks a <spits out a wad of dirt> million. Mike L.

    I really like this one:

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0875963005/ref=pd_sim_books_2/102-5723390-0657745?v=g-
    lance&s=books

    It devotes a whole chapter to the tail-whip/endo/switchback maneuver that I thought I'd invented.
    ha. But it's a very good book.

    And Ned's video is good too. He makes the tough stuff look so easy, it's easy to get bored in the
    movie. But it's good stuff.

    And another thing, Mike. Horn in and force your way into group rides with riders better than you.
    Never fails to learn from watching, following and imitating others.

    Paladin

  16. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (Mike L) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I just tried my first foray off-road on my brand new Trek 4300 across a ditch. I thought I could
    > ride through but it was the same diameter as my wheel and I did a beautiful face plant. Are
    > there any online resources describing basic techniques? Thanks a <spits out a wad of dirt>
    > million. Mike L.

    Yeah, don't ask a bunch of strangers whose skill levels you don't know. Go to a Dirt Camp or join a
    bike club and learn from real people.

    JD