Learning Clipless

Eric Elman

Guest
Help please.

I've just built up my first modern bicycle (all my other bikes are vintage rides) and am using
Campagnolo Chorus Profit pedals. I've got my first pair of shoes too. How does one start to learn
how to use clipless pedals? I probably sound like a ****, but I'm a bit nervous of making the switch
from clips and cleats. Any advise on best ways to start off, avoiding problems and gaining
confidence with them would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Eric Elman

Practice... especially, at first, unclip earlier than you think you should when stopping until you
gain confidence.

Joe

"Eric Elman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Help please.
>
> I've just built up my first modern bicycle (all my other bikes are vintage rides) and am using
> Campagnolo Chorus Profit pedals. I've got my first
pair
> of shoes too. How does one start to learn how to use clipless pedals? I probably sound like a
> ****, but I'm a bit nervous of making the switch
from
> clips and cleats. Any advise on best ways to start off, avoiding problems and gaining confidence
> with them would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Eric Elman

>How does one start to learn how to use clipless pedals? I probably sound like a ****, but I'm a bit
>nervous of making the switch from clips and cleats. Any advise on best ways to start off, avoiding
>problems and gaining confidence with them would be greatly appreciated.

I started by just attaching one cleat and carrying the other with me (along with the proper
wrenches). This allowed for getting the hang of clipping in and out with a 'free foot' just in case.

It didn't take long,, less than an hour, to learn. Try to remember to unclip when stopping, thus
avoiding the embarissing but all too common " cartoon character slow motion sideway fall".

Good luck

"Eric Elman" wrote:

> I've just built up my first modern bicycle (all my other bikes are vintage rides) and am using
> Campagnolo Chorus Profit pedals. I've got my first
pair
> of shoes too. How does one start to learn how to use clipless pedals? I probably sound like a
> ****, but I'm a bit nervous of making the switch
from
> clips and cleats. Any advise on best ways to start off, avoiding problems and gaining confidence
> with them would be greatly appreciated.

I was apprehensive too about 10 years ago when I made the switch. I practiced with my bike on a wind
trainer to get the feel of it. On my first couple of road rides, I concentrated on remembering to
unclip at each stop. After that, it became automatic. I have never fallen as a result of using
clipless pedals. I think clipless is the best advance in cycling in the last 25 years.

Art Harris

"Eric Elman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Help please.
>
> I've just built up my first modern bicycle (all my other bikes are vintage rides) and am using
> Campagnolo Chorus Profit pedals. I've got my first
pair
> of shoes too. How does one start to learn how to use clipless pedals? I probably sound like a
> ****, but I'm a bit nervous of making the switch
from
> clips and cleats. Any advise on best ways to start off, avoiding problems and gaining confidence
> with them would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Eric Elman

Make sure that your cleats are securely tightened on your shoes, and that the retention settings on
your pedals are adjusted so that they release easily.

My first experience with clipless was pretty hilarious. I was riding around the neighborhood on
my brand new Specialized Stumpjumper feeling pretty cool...but, when I went to click out
nothing happened!

I hadn't realized that:

a) the pedals were adjusted to "maximum retention" (their factory setting), and

b) the bike shop had mounted the cleats on my new shoes, but had left them loose assuming I would
re-position them before riding.

No matter what I did, my shoes were not coming out of those pedals. I ended up leaning against a
tree, where I was able to undo the shoes, and pull my feet out of them. After loosening the pedal
retention settings, I was finally able to get the shoes off the bike. That was quite a relief,
because I was afraid that I was going to have to take the bike back to the shop with the shoes still
in the pedals!

Don't let this happen to you...

For the sake of your knees, I'd also recommend you not take any long rides until you're comfortable
with the positioning of your cleats. You'll probably need to make several adjustments until you find
the position that is most comfortable and efficient for you.

GG

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 14:44:02 GMT, "Eric Elman" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Help please.
>
>I've just built up my first modern bicycle (all my other bikes are vintage rides) and am using
>Campagnolo Chorus Profit pedals. I've got my first pair of shoes too. How does one start to learn
>how to use clipless pedals? I probably sound like a ****, but I'm a bit nervous of making the
>switch from clips and cleats. Any advise on best ways to start off, avoiding problems and gaining
>confidence with them would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Eric Elman

Just get out and ride. You will slowly topple over sideways at least once, but only when you roll to
a halt in front of a bunch of hot chix. As time goes by, the embarrassing "lying on the ground with
bike still attached" scenario should occur less and less frequently, but the pedal has yet to be
invented which can't be jammed by dirt. If you're used to slotted cleats and tight toe straps,
you'll end up on your ass less with clipless than you do when you forget to loosen a strap, so don't
worry about it. Kinky Cowboy

*Your milage may vary Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts.

Eric Elman wrote:
> Any advise on best ways to start off, avoiding problems and gaining confidence with them would be
> greatly appreciated.

Just gotta go for it, really.

First, set pedal retension force to low or minimum, lubricate pedals (at where the cleats go) then
lean against a wall and practice clipping in and out, one foot at a time, by twisting heel outwards.
Experiment with position of cleats on shoes. Angle is the thing to get about right first, so ankles
are as near/far away from cranks as you want. Fore and aft can be perfected after you've gained real
experience of what pedalling feels like.

Don't be alarmed if feet feel very stiff to release. You'll be less aware of this when actually out
on the roads, and after you've become used to them. They also can become easier as the cleats wear
(depending on pedals).

Then ride, and try to remember to twist foot everytime you come to a stop (best to stick to same
foot everytime). Chances are, you will forget and fall over once or twice from stationary. Try not
to panic if you do, it is possible to land softly. I even put a note with "TWIST" in big red letters
on my bars. Not sure it helped. Still went over! But the action quickly becomes hard wired in the
brain and you don't have to think about it at all once used to the pedals, even when switching back
from using toe-clips on other bikes. To reduce chance of falling, get someone to cycle behind you on
first few rides to shout "twist" at every stop.

Take tools with you on first few rides so you can stop and adjust cleats & pedals if necessary.

Clipless pedals are well worth all the initial hassles. For most people, they're more comfortable
and efficient than anything else.

Articles for more/alternative advice: http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/clipless.html
http://www.chainreaction.com/pedalfaq.htm

~PB

"Eric Elman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Help please.
>
> I've just built up my first modern bicycle (all my other bikes are vintage rides) and am using
> Campagnolo Chorus Profit pedals. I've got my first
pair
> of shoes too. How does one start to learn how to use clipless pedals? I probably sound like a
> ****, but I'm a bit nervous of making the switch
from
> clips and cleats. Any advise on best ways to start off, avoiding problems and gaining confidence
> with them would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance>

Hi Eric, I like to put a clipless newbie on a trainer and let them get the hang of it before sending
them out the door. Barring that, find your self a comfortable place to fall and just practice.

Robin Hubert

"Eric Elman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Help please.
>
> I've just built up my first modern bicycle (all my other bikes are vintage rides) and am using
> Campagnolo Chorus Profit pedals. I've got my first
pair
> of shoes too. How does one start to learn how to use clipless pedals? I probably sound like a
> ****, but I'm a bit nervous of making the switch
from
> clips and cleats. Any advise on best ways to start off, avoiding problems and gaining confidence
> with them would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Eric Elman

Make a habit of unclipping both feet every time you stop in the beginning. The only time I ever took
a spill was unclipping the left foot and the bike slowly going over to the right.

After a while you will react normally and start unclipping tha one you need to.
--
Replace the dots to reply

Perre

One my first or second ride I had just gone over the dam at White rock Lake in Dallas. It had just
rained a little and thre wooden foot bridge at the bottom of the dam was wet. I slipped and fell on
the bridge and slid under the lower handrail and my bike was trapped in the handrail posts. In that
position, hanging head first over the stream, there was no way to unclip. Thank God for the bunch of
old guys fishing and sharing a bottle by the bridge. I had a good case of road rash and I think they
are still laughing. Chris "Eric Elman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Help please.
>
> I've just built up my first modern bicycle (all my other bikes are vintage rides) and am using
> Campagnolo Chorus Profit pedals. I've got my first
pair
> of shoes too. How does one start to learn how to use clipless pedals? I probably sound like a
> ****, but I'm a bit nervous of making the switch
from
> clips and cleats. Any advise on best ways to start off, avoiding problems and gaining confidence
> with them would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Eric Elman

"Eric Elman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Help please.
>
> I've just built up my first modern bicycle (all my other bikes are vintage rides) and am using
> Campagnolo Chorus Profit pedals. I've got my first
pair
> of shoes too. How does one start to learn how to use clipless pedals? I probably sound like a
> ****, but I'm a bit nervous of making the switch
from
> clips and cleats. Any advise on best ways to start off, avoiding problems and gaining confidence
> with them would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Eric Elman

Well don't make your first ride on these pedals a tourist ride around the middle of town. I fell
over four times in front of half the city. Also don't ride behind very young daughters. Most stops
can be predicted and you can unclip early, but young kids do unpredictable things like slam the
brakes on right in front of you for no apparent reason, causing you to drop the anchors in emergency
fashion, leaving no time to think about unclipping too. CRASH!

Mind you 4 falls in front of amused spectators was an excellent way to learn to use clipless pedals.
I haven't fallen since, because the embarrasment sure burns the technique into your mind.

I was told to simply sit on the bike and
clip.unclip.clip.unclip.clip.unclip........... over and over and over until the movement becomes
second nature.

Another tip I've heard, but not used, is to turn down the release force needed to unclip, until you
get used to it. This makes the unclipping a lot easier.

Trentus

"J. Saulinskas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >How does one start to learn how to use clipless pedals? I probably sound like a ****, but I'm a
> >bit nervous of making the switch
from
> >clips and cleats. Any advise on best ways to start off, avoiding
problems
> >and gaining confidence with them would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I started by just attaching one cleat and carrying the other with me
(along
> with the proper wrenches). This allowed for getting the hang of clipping
in and
> out with a 'free foot' just in case.

That's great unless you start to fall the other way! Doink! Very comical from an outside
perspective.

> It didn't take long,, less than an hour, to learn. Try to remember to unclip when stopping, thus
> avoiding the embarissing but
all
> too common " cartoon character slow motion sideway fall".

You only have to try to remember until it becomes habit. This took a whole day for me.

"Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...

> "Eric Elman" wrote:
>
> > I've just built up my first modern bicycle (all my other bikes are
vintage
> > rides) and am using Campagnolo Chorus Profit pedals. I've got my first
> pair
> > of shoes too. How does one start to learn how to use clipless pedals?
> > probably sound like a ****, but I'm a bit nervous of making the switch
> from
> > clips and cleats. Any advise on best ways to start off, avoiding
problems
> > and gaining confidence with them would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I was apprehensive too about 10 years ago when I made the switch. I practiced with my bike on a
> wind trainer to get the feel of it. On my
first
> couple of road rides, I concentrated on remembering to unclip at each
stop.
> After that, it became automatic. I have never fallen as a result of using clipless pedals. I think
> clipless is the best advance in cycling in the
last
> 25 years.

That was my experience too. It was automatic after about the first 5 exits. I never had any problems
whatsoever. Just go for it. If you're really nervous, practice a bit at a local park where you can
fall on the grass if you have to.

It's certainly easier than dealing with old fashioned toeclips and straps with cleats.

Matt O.

And for a while there, I thought I was the only one who hadn't taken the customary cleated fall.
It's nice to know that it's not a requirement. Just to be safe, I'll say I haven't fallen YET.

I agree that it becomes quite second nature fairly quickly. One precaution that I took on my first
few rides what to stick a business card size note on my handle bar that said "CLEAT" in big red
letters. That was to remind me to unclip before coming to a complete stop. It sounds corny, but it
worked. I also rode easy so my brain would get its fair share of oxygen.

Ride on, well-cleated, Don

Harris <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...

> "Eric Elman" wrote:
>
> > I've just built up my first modern bicycle (all my other bikes are
vintage
> > rides) and am using Campagnolo Chorus Profit pedals. I've got my first
> pair
> > of shoes too. How does one start to learn how to use clipless pedals?
> > probably sound like a ****, but I'm a bit nervous of making the switch
> from
> > clips and cleats. Any advise on best ways to start off, avoiding
problems
> > and gaining confidence with them would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I was apprehensive too about 10 years ago when I made the switch. I practiced with my bike on a
> wind trainer to get the feel of it. On my
first
> couple of road rides, I concentrated on remembering to unclip at each
stop.
> After that, it became automatic. I have never fallen as a result of using clipless pedals. I think
> clipless is the best advance in cycling in the
last
> 25 years.
>
> Art Harris

If you live somewhere that has a shop with the Rotational Adjustment Device from the old Fit Kit
that fits your cleats do that too. Getting the cleats adjusted properly keeps you from screwing up
your knees.

"Gary German" <gary_g@charter_NOSPAM_.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Eric Elman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Help please.
> >
> > I've just built up my first modern bicycle (all my other bikes are
vintage
> > rides) and am using Campagnolo Chorus Profit pedals. I've got my first
> pair
> > of shoes too. How does one start to learn how to use clipless pedals?
> > probably sound like a ****, but I'm a bit nervous of making the switch
> from
> > clips and cleats. Any advise on best ways to start off, avoiding
problems
> > and gaining confidence with them would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Eric Elman
> >

> Make sure that your cleats are securely tightened on your shoes, and that the retention settings
> on your pedals are adjusted so that they release easily.
>
> My first experience with clipless was pretty hilarious. I was riding
around
> the neighborhood on my brand new Specialized Stumpjumper feeling pretty cool...but, when I went to
> click out nothing happened!
>
> I hadn't realized that:
>
> a) the pedals were adjusted to "maximum retention" (their factory
setting),
> and
>
> b) the bike shop had mounted the cleats on my new shoes, but had left them loose assuming I would
> re-position them before riding.
>
> No matter what I did, my shoes were not coming out of those pedals. I
ended
> up leaning against a tree, where I was able to undo the shoes, and pull my feet out of them. After
> loosening the pedal retention settings, I was finally able to get the shoes off the bike. That was
> quite a relief, because I was afraid that I was going to have to take the bike back to the shop
> with the shoes still in the pedals!
>
> Don't let this happen to you...
>
> For the sake of your knees, I'd also recommend you not take any long rides until you're
> comfortable with the positioning of your cleats. You'll probably need to make several adjustments
> until you find the position that is most comfortable and efficient for you.
>
> GG

"Don DeMair" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> And for a while there, I thought I was the only one who hadn't taken the customary cleated fall.
> It's nice to know that it's not a requirement. Just to be safe, I'll say I haven't fallen YET.

It took me almost a year. I already thought I was an expert on this. One day when the group stopped
to regroup at a junction I pulled up slowly and unclipped my left foot as I was coasting to a stop,
already talking to the other fellas. Well for some reson once I'd stopped, the bike started going to
the right instead and I didn't realize it until too late. So there I was. Comments were something
like. Holy s-t coldn't you have done that somewhere else and spared us the pitiful sight ;)

--
Replace the dots to reply

Perre

just dont do what my mate did,

he decided to try out his new spd's for the first time while mtb-ing on ice and snow, in mountain
area. many comedy moments followed.

other than that episode i learned fairly quickly. just beware if u change shoes or pedals at later
date since the tension maybe different

panda "Eric Elman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Help please.
>
> I've just built up my first modern bicycle (all my other bikes are vintage rides) and am using
> Campagnolo Chorus Profit pedals. I've got my first
pair
> of shoes too. How does one start to learn how to use clipless pedals? I probably sound like a
> ****, but I'm a bit nervous of making the switch
from
> clips and cleats. Any advise on best ways to start off, avoiding problems and gaining confidence
> with them would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Eric Elman

"J. Saulinskas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >How does one start to learn how to use clipless pedals? I probably sound like a ****, but I'm a
> >bit nervous of making the switch
from
> >clips and cleats. Any advise on best ways to start off, avoiding
problems
> >and gaining confidence with them would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I started by just attaching one cleat and carrying the other with me
(along
> with the proper wrenches). This allowed for getting the hang of clipping
in and
> out with a 'free foot' just in case.
>
> It didn't take long,, less than an hour, to learn. Try to remember to unclip when stopping, thus
> avoiding the embarissing but
all
> too common " cartoon character slow motion sideway fall".
>
> Good luck

Sorry Guyz,

I have to relay my first day w/clipless. I also changed to a thinner tire, 23c, at the same time. I
just jumped in and went. That evening on my commute home, all was going well. I would start thinking
about kicking my heel out well before the stoplights and didn't have any problems.At one particular
light, I noticed I was stopping beside a car full of cute girls. I thought I would show off a bit
and pull up into my usual track stand. Did I mention *narrower* tires? Yep, you guessed it! Classic
Clipless Collapse! I'm sure I was in full spasm by the time I drifted past the bottom of the window
in my slow motion fall. Nothing injured but a *huge* quantity of pride. I quickly, and obviously
horizontally, unclipped, stood up, and stared straight ahead until the light changed. I now wouldn't
think of not ridding clipless, am used to narrow tires, and am, once again, able to trackstand at
the stoplights. I also don't try to show off anymore....at least, not too much.
:)

Eric, your going to do just fine. Maybe have someone balance the bike while you learn the unclipping
motion. Then just go for it and think ahead. If you're commutting, learn to trackstand at the
stoplights, it saves a lot of time and energy clipping and unclipping. Two anti-flame warnings on
that subject: 1) Find a SAFE place to learn that trick, 2) wait until you are comfortable with
unclipping. Sometimes you lose balance and do need an emergency uclip.

Enjoy,

Dan