Learning Clipless

Tom Keats wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> writes:
>
>>> It would take a total schlemiel or somebody with duck feet
>>> to get his flat-soled, uncleated street shoes hung-up on
>>> my plastic, wide toe-box MTB clips & cordura straps.
>>> <shrug> What can I say?
>>>

>> When did flat soled, street shoes come into the picture?

> When I put them into the picture, 'cuz that's what
> I normally wear. I'll allow treaded soles on
> shin-biter pedals equipped w/ clips might cause
> probs.

Yep.

> But I haven't experienced any foot extraction
> problems, even with my work boots -- which, incidentally,
> fit (more or less) into my clips-&-straps combination.
> The only problem I have experienced in that regard is the
> straps chafing away at the boots' uppers. That could be
> the result of my abnormally high instep.
>
>>> They work, and they work safely
>>> for me. And the clips provide the additional advantage
>>> of serving as armatures around which I wrap lengths of
>>> cut-off inner tube (attached w/ small zipties) to keep my
>>> feet dry in the rain, and warm in the cold wind, so I don't
>>> need to buy special shoes which need special booties in
>>> adverse weather.
>>>

>> But the clips provide poor foot retention unless the straps are cinched
>> tight.

> Not mine. I just leave the straps set at a certain tautness.
> I can slide my shoes into and out of them with ease, and they
> still provide good enough retention to at least one-leggedly
> pedal up a 3 or 4% grade. If I had the leg strength, maybe
> I could one-leggedly pedal up even steeper grades with 'em.

Not enough retention for "honking", certainly.

>> Clips and straps are obsolete technology, and with good reason.

> There are various kinds of clips/straps. My MTB setup is nothing
> like those double-whammy track arrangements, or those old-skool,
> roadies' narrow, pointy, metal clips w/ "little leather belts"
> for straps.

The old road clip at least provided positive foot retention, when used
with a slotted cleat. Of course, unlike SPuDs, that mean a shoe that
could barely be walked in.

> My plastic-y/rubbery clips & cordura straps have
> a certain amount of stretchy "give". That give allows me to
> easily slide into or out of them, but once my shoes are in 'em,
> they clamp around my shoes more eagerly than the antibodies
> which surrounded Raquel Welch in "Fantastic Journey." But
> not quite as tightly, and I don't need Donald Pleasance to
> pull 'em off (thank goodness.)

Why not get Power Grips then? Easier entry and exit, better foot
retention, compatible with any shoes AND lower cost?

Tom Sherman <[email protected]> writes:

>> My plastic-y/rubbery clips & cordura straps have
>> a certain amount of stretchy "give". That give allows me to
>> easily slide into or out of them, but once my shoes are in 'em,
>> they clamp around my shoes more eagerly than the antibodies
>> which surrounded Raquel Welch in "Fantastic Journey." But
>> not quite as tightly, and I don't need Donald Pleasance to
>> pull 'em off (thank goodness.)
>>

> Why not get Power Grips then? Easier entry and exit, better foot
> retention, compatible with any shoes AND lower cost?

I already have all that with my current setup.

I don't need solutions to probs that don't exist.

I really wish I could acquaint you with what I'm using.
It /is/ good! It works! I realize you've had bad
experiences in the past w/ clips-&-straps, but I think
what I have is something radically different from what
you've had the misfortune to deal with.

cheers,
Tom
--
"Roger -- go with throttle-up."
-- last words from Space Shuttle Challenger

Tom Keats wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> writes:
>
>>> My plastic-y/rubbery clips & cordura straps have
>>> a certain amount of stretchy "give". That give allows me to
>>> easily slide into or out of them, but once my shoes are in 'em,
>>> they clamp around my shoes more eagerly than the antibodies
>>> which surrounded Raquel Welch in "Fantastic Journey." But
>>> not quite as tightly, and I don't need Donald Pleasance to
>>> pull 'em off (thank goodness.)
>>>

>> Why not get Power Grips then? Easier entry and exit, better foot
>> retention, compatible with any shoes AND lower cost?

> I already have all that with my current setup.
>
> I don't need solutions to probs that don't exist.
>
> I really wish I could acquaint you with what I'm using.
> It /is/ good! It works! I realize you've had bad
> experiences in the past w/ clips-&-straps, but I think
> what I have is something radically different from what
> you've had the misfortune to deal with.

I still have a hard time imagining that clips and straps could work
better than my Power Grips, which are cheap and hold my feet tightly.
Heck, one could make do-it-yourself versions of Power Grips from a worn
out tire and a couple of dollars worth of hardware.

John Everett wrote:
> I'm currently reading a book called "Deep Survival - Who Lives, Who
> Dies, and Why" by Laurence Gonzales. The following is excerpted
> (without permission).

.. Generally, after
> that second experience, you have developed a deeply ingrained
> emotional bookmark. Then, whenever you start to relax those muscles,
> you get a really bad feeling, like somebody's going to drop a safe on
> you, and those muscles tighten right up. You never have to think about
> it again."

> I'm wondering if this is typical. Is Gonzales on to something?

It's usually called "muscle memory":
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_memory>
, trauma tends to "burn" the memory in, very effectively.

There's a related phenomenon that's been recently discovered -- "mirror
neurons" (or something like that). Apparently when just watching someone
do a activity that you're familiar with causes your own neurons to fire
in a way almost identical to doing the task yourself. I feel the
combined effects when I watch somebody mishandle a knife, I'll feel
sting of old cuts.

Some people can apparently learn a new muscular task just by watching. I
knew a guy who claimed to have done that, learning horseback riding just
from TV.

Nothing like mountain biking to train muscle memory. Skids and falls are
much more common than road cycling, but the muscle memory carries over.

Some people seem to be more natural with clipless. Very often, when
first learning to mountain bike, my wife would come out of a crash on
her feet, running. Never being able to do that myself, I asked her what
the trick was, but she couldn't explain it.

Peter Cole wrote:
> [...]
> There's a related phenomenon that's been recently discovered -- "mirror
> neurons" (or something like that). Apparently when just watching someone
> do a activity that you're familiar with causes your own neurons to fire
> in a way almost identical to doing the task yourself. I feel the
> combined effects when I watch somebody mishandle a knife, I'll feel
> sting of old cuts.[...]

My knees hurt when I see someone riding a bicycle with the saddle WAY
too low (currently in fashion among early teens for some reason).

From: [email protected] (Peter Cole)

>Some people seem to be more natural
>with clipless. Very often, when first
>learning to mountain bike, my wife would
>come out of a crash on her feet, running.
>Never being able to do that myself, I
>asked her what the trick was, but she
>couldn't explain it.

When she figures it out, you will remember to post it?

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use: