Learning Italian through cycling?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bret Wade, Feb 26, 2003.

  1. Bret Wade

    Bret Wade Guest

    I'm taking an italian class and listening to Pimsleur tapes on the way to work. I'm trying to read
    La Gazzetta Dello Sport with the help of Bable Fish. Any other ideas for Italian Language web sites
    where I can combine my interest in cycling with the language study? Anyone know of any good italian
    language sites specializing in racing history?

    Thanks, Bret

    Tags:

  2. Roy Drink

    Roy Drink Guest

    Bret Wade asked:

    > I'm taking an italian class and listening to Pimsleur tapes on the way to work. I'm trying to read
    > La Gazzetta Dello Sport with the help of Bable Fish. Any other ideas for Italian Language web
    > sites where I can combine my interest in cycling with the language study? Anyone know of any good
    > italian language sites specializing in racing history?

    For pronunciation, there's
    <http://home.attbi.com/~jim1192/wsb/html/view.cgi-showresources.html-TopR
    es-Italiano-20MP3s.html>.

    Roy

  3. Bret Wade

    Bret Wade Guest

    Roy Drink wrote:
    > Bret Wade asked:
    >

    >>I'm taking an italian class and listening to Pimsleur tapes on the way to work. I'm trying to read
    >>La Gazzetta Dello Sport with the help of Bable Fish. Any other ideas for Italian Language web
    >>sites where I can combine my interest in cycling with the language study? Anyone know of any good
    >>italian language sites specializing in racing history?
    >

    > For pronunciation, there's
    > <http://home.attbi.com/~jim1192/wsb/html/view.cgi-showresources.html-TopR
    > es-Italiano-20MP3s.html>.
    >

    > Roy

    Thanks Roy. That was good.

    Bret

  4. Bret Wade

    Bret Wade Guest

    Tom Kunich wrote:
    > "Bret Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>I'm taking an italian class and listening to Pimsleur tapes on the
    >
    > way
    >
    >>to work. I'm trying to read La Gazzetta Dello Sport with the help of Bable Fish. Any other ideas
    >>for Italian Language web sites where I
    >
    > can
    >
    >>combine my interest in cycling with the language study? Anyone know
    >
    > of
    >
    >>any good italian language sites specializing in racing history?
    >

    > DON'T USE BABELFISH. In the first place it gets everything completely screwed up. In the second,
    > how are you going to learn anything unless you take the Italian/English dictionary for a workout?
    >
    > And usually you can find someone in any medium sized city that will give private Italian lessons
    > for $20/lesson or less. Using some of the high school texts will allow you to get a working
    > knowledge of Italian fast enough to be able to read Sport in pretty short order. You generally
    > only need a repetoir of about 2,000 words to read newspapers.

    Tom,

    As I said, I'm taking a class. I have a text book. I have the Pimsleur tapes. I also have a
    dictionary and a verb conjugator on my PDA. I'm just using the Bable Fish for rough translations and
    I find it useful for that. What I was actually looking for are recommendations for cycling oriented
    italian web sites that would be interesting to translate.

    Bret

  5. Mark Lee

    Mark Lee Guest

    > "Bret Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm taking an italian class and listening to Pimsleur tapes on the
    > way
    > > to work. I'm trying to read La Gazzetta Dello Sport with the help of Bable Fish. Any other ideas
    > > for Italian Language web sites where I
    > can
    > > combine my interest in cycling with the language study? Anyone know
    > of
    > > any good italian language sites specializing in racing history?

    See the movie "Breaking Away" (1979 Dennis Quaid) where a 19 yr old American cycling fanatic "goes
    Italian" Mark Lee

  6. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Mark Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > "Bret Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > I'm taking an italian class and listening to Pimsleur tapes on
    the
    > > way
    > > > to work. I'm trying to read La Gazzetta Dello Sport with the
    help of
    > > > Bable Fish. Any other ideas for Italian Language web sites where
    > > can
    > > > combine my interest in cycling with the language study? Anyone
    know
    > > of
    > > > any good italian language sites specializing in racing history?
    > >

    > See the movie "Breaking Away" (1979 Dennis Quaid) where a 19 yr old
    American
    > cycling fanatic "goes Italian"

    Now that is funny.

  7. Gocycle

    Gocycle Guest

    Bret Wade <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm taking an italian class and listening to Pimsleur tapes on the way to work. I'm trying to read
    > La Gazzetta Dello Sport with the help of Bable Fish. Any other ideas for Italian Language web
    > sites where I can combine my interest in cycling with the language study? Anyone know of any good
    > italian language sites specializing in racing history?
    >
    > Thanks, Bret

    Good Luck

    Luigi