Learning To Ride A Bike Again - at 32!!!

Seventhstranger

Guest
Hi,

I'm just after a few tips if anyone is able to help me.

I last rode a bike when I was 13/14 years old and have just
bought myself a new bike thinking it would be easy to get
back on it and ride again. However, my confidence is lacking
and I am terrified of falling off and hurting myself.

I have tried a few times but get so far and then I seem to
veer over to the left and then I panic and fall off.
Because of that, I am now too scared to get back on and
have another go.

Is this normal?? What is the best way for me to learn again
(without the embarrassment of having to use stabilisers!!)?
I live near a beach so I am thinking that going somewhere
with a soft landing may be helpful. Any help would be much
appreciated. I really do want to ride again but I don't have
the confidence.

Many thanks JB - (aged 32)

>Hi,
>
>I'm just after a few tips if anyone is able to help me.
>
>I last rode a bike when I was 13/14 years old and have
>just bought myself a new bike thinking it would be easy
>to get back on it and ride again. However, my
>confidence is lacking and I am terrified of falling off
>and hurting myself.

You just need to build up your confidence - it *will* come
back. If you cycled as a teenager, you will be able to
cycle now.

>I have tried a few times but get so far and then I seem to
>veer over to the left and then I panic and fall off.
>Because of that, I am now too scared to get back on and
>have another go.

Is your bike the correct size for you? Do you keep
pedalling? Do you remember to steer?

>Is this normal?? What is the best way for me to learn again
>(without the embarrassment of having to use stabilisers!!)?
>I live near a beach so I am thinking that going somewhere
>with a soft landing may be helpful. Any help would be much
>appreciated. I really do want to ride again but I don't
>have the confidence.

Don't cycle on sand - it's *awful* and it's slippy. A smooth
tarmac surface is easiest to practise on.

Find a nice *quiet* spot... possibly a quiet industrial
estate on a Sunday where there's no traffic as nowhere is
open? Practise, practise, practise.. it will come with
practise. Get yourself a copy of Cyclecraft by John Franklin
(ISBN: 0117020516 ) £12.99 - read, inwardly digest and
practise, practise, practise...

Cheers, helen s (even older than you ;-) )

--This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
correct one remove fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

--Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel
is switched off--

SeventhStranger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just after a few tips if anyone is able to help me.

Maybe try going a little faster

On Sun, 2 May 2004 09:30:57 +0100, "SeventhStranger"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>What is the best way for me to learn again (without the
>embarrassment of having to use stabilisers!!)? I live near
>a beach so I am thinking that going somewhere with a soft
>landing may be helpful. Any help would be much appreciated.
>I really do want to ride again but I don't have the
>confidence.

Find somewhere with a slight downhill slope and no traffic
(a car park on a Sunday is often good). When teaching
children to ride the advice is to take the pedals off; that
may not be necessary. Set the saddle low so you can put both
feet firmly on the floor, check that you can work the brakes
comfortably, and scoot off down the hill. Very quickly you
will get the hang of balancing, at which point you can raise
the saddle again and refit the pedals.

Keep in low gears - mashing the gears will contribute to the
wobbles. And make sure you are pedalling with the ball of
your foot.

I think you'll manage it; my wife had never ridden a
bike until she was in her early 30s and within three
years she was piloting our triplet (3-seater) with two
kids on the back!

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

SeventhStranger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just after a few tips if anyone is able to help me.

Back to basics. Take the pedals off (the left hand one
unscrews the opposite way to a normal thread). Lower the
saddle so that you can put both feet on the ground. Now push
with your feet and scoot. Once you feel confident scooting
with your feet up for some distance, put the pedals back on,
scoot, put your feet on the pedals then back down. Once you
are confident rolling with your feet on the pedals, start
turning them. Finally raise the saddle back up to the right
height for pedalling. Voila, back to cycling.

Tony

SeventhStranger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm just after a few tips if anyone is able to help me.
>
> I last rode a bike when I was 13/14 years old and have
> just bought myself a new bike thinking it would be easy
> to get back on it and ride again. However, my
> confidence is lacking and I am terrified of falling off
> and hurting myself.
>
> I have tried a few times but get so far and then I seem to
> veer over to the left and then I panic and fall off.
> Because of that, I am now too scared to get back on and
> have another go.
>
> Is this normal?? What is the best way for me to learn
> again (without the embarrassment of having to use
> stabilisers!!)? I live near a beach so I am thinking that
> going somewhere with a soft landing may be helpful. Any
> help would be much appreciated. I really do want to ride
> again but I don't have the confidence.
>
> Many thanks JB - (aged 32)

Make sure the bike is the right size, and then put the
saddle down low enough that you can sit on it and reach the
ground with both feet without stretching at all - if you can
manage balls of the feet then good, go for more foot in
contact with the ground if you feel you need it.

I'd say (as a returner to cycling with similar scaredness)
that saddle height can be as low as you want while you get
over the initial fear and re-learn balance, steering, and
control. If you're on a racer style bike, get the bars
higher if they'll go, but make sure the brakes don't come on
by themselves if you turn the bars over hard - just a quick
test once you've raised the bars to double-check. Don't
raise them past the minimum insertion point.

Find a quiet place as Helen suggested, even if it means
walking the bike to it, or via the back of the car, and get
on it, and just scoot along. Don't bother with the pedals
initially, jujst scoot withyour feet, get the feel of the
balance of the bike, practice keeping a straight line,
correct with the steering if you feel that sideways veer.

Tension in your body will exacerbate what you're finding
with the bike at the moment, so you need to try and get back
to a point where you are relaxed with what you're doing, and
initially work within your levels of comfort. Being outside
them constantly just leads (and you and I both know) to an
unpleasant spiral, so regardless of what others might think
you should be doing, do NOT allow them to put pressure on
you do do more before YOU feel ready to.

Once you're happy with balancing while scooting, build up a
bit of speed, and then keep the feet up off the ground while
you balance/turn. Once you're happy doing that, get the
pedals into it - start off on the saddle - and once you can
pedal and stop/start and steer without being scared, raise
the saddle a little, and I mean a little, and potter about
with it like that again.

I bought a new bike 3 years ago. It was too big, and I was
scared stiff. I'd never ridden on the roads before, only on
pavements (I know, I know) as a kid. Last time I'd ridden a
bike was probably about the same age as you, not counting
one short ride at 25 on an upright shopper type.

My bike was a racer, with drops. Too big a frame really (I'm
short) but only just. Bars far too low. Saddle too high.
Whole position unfamiliar, including brakes/gears etc.

Scared stiff on it.

I've pottered about the last three yeras, not cycling all
that much, but plenty of tweaking of the bike going on. I
still can't stand on the pedals, hills defeat me, and I
can't signal cos I can't get my hands off the bars. Yet. But
I cycled across central london yesterday. Had kittens before
I did it, and changed my mind about it 782342394 times. I'm
still nervous about roads, and steep downhills (I fell off
as a kid in that situation, twice). But I'm getting better.
And I love the bike. And cycling. And I'm off out today to
try my first club ride (for all of 10 minutes I should think
before I get left behind LOL).

If I can get back on a bike (I'm a complete scaredycat) and
get this far, I'm sure you can too. I'm still resisting any
attempt to have my saddle higher. I can only just put one
foot down on one side with it as it is, yet 'the formula'
would maintain it shoudl be higher still for pedalling
position to be right and to save my knees. I'm still
ignoring that advice and doing it my way, cos it's the way I
know won't scare me and set things back.

Good luck with it all, let us know how you get on!

Velvet

Thank you to all of those who have responded to my
plea for help.

The majority of you have suggested that 'scooting' is the
best place to start. I will go and find somewhere quiet
with a slight slope and give it a try. I am so annoyed
with myself and feel pretty useless. However, I am sure
that I will get there eventually. I really do want to do
this but I will take the necessary steps to build up my
confidence first.

Thanks for all your help. I will report back when I've done
it!

JB

"Velvet" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:i25lc.2933$Y63.27768978@news-
text.cableinet.net...
> SeventhStranger wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm just after a few tips if anyone is able to help me.
> >
> > I last rode a bike when I was 13/14 years old and have
> > just bought
myself a
> > new bike thinking it would be easy to get back on it and
> > ride again. However, my confidence is lacking and I am
> > terrified of falling off and hurting myself.
> >
> > I have tried a few times but get so far and then I seem
> > to veer over to
the
> > left and then I panic and fall off. Because of that, I
> > am now too
scared to
> > get back on and have another go.
> >
> > Is this normal?? What is the best way for me to learn
> > again (without
the
> > embarrassment of having to use stabilisers!!)? I live
> > near a beach so I
am
> > thinking that going somewhere with a soft landing may be
> > helpful. Any
help
> > would be much appreciated. I really do want to ride
> > again but I don't
have

SeventhStranger wrote:

> I am so annoyed with myself and feel pretty useless.
> However, I am sure that I will get there eventually.

No need to be annoyed, it's a learned skill like any other.
Mind you, I'm pretty frustrated that I ca'nt ride my new
unicycle yet... ;-)

Guy

In news:[email protected],
Velvet <[email protected]> typed:
> I'd say (as a returner to cycling with similar scaredness)
> that saddle height can be as low as you want while you get
> over the initial fear and re-learn balance, steering, and
> control.

Luckily, I've been a cyclist all of my life, so I hope I'm
not being insensitive to your needs, but I'd have to
recommend that you put the saddle up once you do have your
balance and steering right. Most bikes need the saddle high
enough that you can only touch the ground with one slightly
stretched foot while properly seated, as for any sort of
distance, it's almost essential that the saddle is high
enough that the legs get straightened at the bottom of the
pedalling cycle. But don't worry about that until you're
happy going a mile or two, anyway.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm just after a few tips if anyone is able to help me.
>
>I last rode a bike when I was 13/14 years old and have just
>bought myself a new bike

An excellent decision. I wish you the best of luck in
getting into cycling again.

>I have tried a few times but get so far and then I seem to
>veer over to the left and then I panic and fall off.

Try looking further ahead. Look towards where you want to
be, not at the hazards. If need be, try 'scooting' down a
gentle slope, before you try pedalling again. (It might
be worth taking the pedals off for this - otherwise you
might find the pedals attacking your calf muscles).
Rideat a decent speed - too slow and you will wobble all
over the place.

>Is this normal??

Probably. A long time off a bike and your co-ordination is
bound to suffer.

>What is the best way for me to learn again (without the
>embarrassment of having to use stabilisers!!)? I live near
>a beach so I am thinking that going somewhere with a soft
>landing may be helpful.

Sand will ruin your bike, especially if you drop the
bike into it.

>Any help would be much appreciated. I really do want to
>ride again but I don't have the confidence.
>
>Many thanks JB - (aged 32)

In message <[email protected]>,
SeventhStranger <[email protected]>
writes
>Thank you to all of those who have responded to my plea
>for help.
>
>>:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'm just after a few tips if anyone is able to help me.
>> >
>> > I last rode a bike when I was 13/14 years old and have
>> > just bought
>myself a
>> > new bike thinking it would be easy to get back on it
>> > and ride again. However, my confidence is lacking and I
>> > am terrified of falling off and hurting myself.
>> >
>> > I have tried a few times but get so far and then I seem
>> > to veer over to
>the
>> > left and then I panic and fall off. Because of that, I
>> > am now too
>scared to
>> > get back on and have another go.
>> >
>> > Is this normal?? What is the best way for me to learn
>> > again (without
>the
>> > embarrassment of having to use stabilisers!!)? I live
>> > near a beach so I
>am
>> > thinking that going somewhere with a soft landing may
>> > be helpful. Any
>help
>> > would be much appreciated. I really do want to ride
>> > again but I don't
>have
>> > the confidence.
>> >
>> > Many thanks JB - (aged 32)

Hi JB

I'm sure you'll get the hang of it. I was 45 when I took up
cycling again, 23 years after changing from motorbike to a
car and probably the best part of 30 years from my last
proper cycle ride.

To be honest I thought I'd just jump back on and ride of
into the sunset. Wrong!! To my great surprise I experienced
a massive drop in confidence and felt very vulnerable and
scared of falling off. Like you I'd bought a drop handlebars
model and actually never felt happy on it. Eventually it was
time to face the fact that me and drops didn't get on
anymore, so I changed to a hybrid, a Trek Navigator. Hardly
cutting edge cycling but it made a tremendous difference, I
felt far more relaxed riding it and soon got back into the
swing of things. I'd seriously recommend changing the bike
for one with straight bars and 26" wheels and a more upright
riding position. If changing the bike isn't an option try
changing the bars to straights and lower the saddle so you
are less inclined forward.

FWIW the Trek is still around, used for the pub and
runabouts mainly, yes I've fallen off a few times too,
especially in the wet on the two cattle grids which I have
to negotiate on the way home, whenever I've been out for a
ride. Funnily enough it always seems to happen on the way
home from the pub too, can't imagine why? At the speeds I
travel, falling off isn't half so bad as the imagination
tends to make it.

As well as the Trek I've also bought a Specialized Sirrus,
which is used for longer, more strenuous rides. Still a
hybrid but with 700 rims and higher gearing it is much
faster and lighter than the Trek but it's still got flat
bars, doubt I'll bother with drops again. That's not a
criticism of drop bars by any means, simply that, for me,
flat or straight bars suit.

Keep going, you'll get there in the end and it really is
worth the effort. The improvement in my fitness these days
is remarkable, plus the joy of being out in the fresh air
and generally having a good time, cycling is hard to beat.

Bill

(Now aged 52! Gulp)

In message <i25lc.2933$Y63.27768978@news-
text.cableinet.net>, Velvet
<[email protected]> writes

> But I cycled across central london yesterday. Had
> kittens before I did it, and changed my mind about it
> 782342394 times.

Sounds like me, a week after I passed my driving test,
trying to build up the courage to get in a car and drive
myself 50 miles up the M3. I ended up in Piccadilly Circus,
but that was OK as at least I knew, from having cycled round
that area previously, how to get to where I wanted.

--
congokid Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google
http://congokid.com