Learning to Ride a Bike

Steve McGinty

Guest
My SO has just announced she'd like to try going out cycling with me. The problem is she's never
learnt to ride a bike. As I was cycling almost before I was out of nappies I've no idea about
teaching her how to ride a bike.

Any tips on how to teach her, or experience from anyone who learned to ride as an adult?

Regards! Stephen

In news:[email protected], Steve McGinty
<stephenmcginty@ntlworld_DOT_.com> typed:
> My SO has just announced she'd like to try going out cycling with me. The problem is she's never
> learnt to ride a bike. As I was cycling almost before I was out of nappies I've no idea about
> teaching her how to ride a bike.
>
> Any tips on how to teach her, or experience from anyone who learned to ride as an adult?

Saddle down so she can put both feet flat on the ground, pedals off and get used to scooting it.
Gradually she will get used to coasting along with both feet off the ground for steadily increasing
distances. Then add pedals and its just a case of putting the lifted up feet on the pedals and then
turning the pedals.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"Steve McGinty" <stephenmcginty@ntlworld_DOT_.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My SO has just announced she'd like to try going out cycling with me. The problem is she's never
> learnt to ride a bike. As I was cycling almost before I was out of nappies I've no idea about
> teaching her how to ride a bike.
>
> Any tips on how to teach her, or experience from anyone who learned to ride as an adult?

Unhelpful answer - tandem.

Well, it's the best solution if your SO wants to go out cycling with you. Doesn't help if she wants
to ride on her own too though!

cheers, clive

On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 18:59:56 +0100, Steve McGinty wrote:

> My SO has just announced she'd like to try going out cycling with me. The problem is she's never
> learnt to ride a bike. As I was cycling almost before I was out of nappies I've no idea about
> teaching her how to ride a bike.
>
> Any tips on how to teach her, or experience from anyone who learned to ride as an adult?

If you are based in SE London (probably not) Greenwich Cyclists are running free cycle training
session soon.

On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 18:59:56 +0100, Steve McGinty <stephenmcginty@ntlworld_DOT_.com> wrote:

>Any tips on how to teach her, or experience from anyone who learned to ride as an adult?

Wide, flat area - scoot first (with feet flat on floor and probably pedals removed) then add
pedalling as the technique of Not Falling Over is mastered. It doesn't take long, my wife learned
to ride in no time and now pilots the family triplet with the two children on the back for the
school run.

Note that differential fitess may may ensemble riding difficult to start with.

Note also that while she's learning you need to make sure she starts with good habits, like spinning
up hills instead of grinding up in high gears. Buy her a copy of Richard's Bicycle Book and John
Franklin's Cyclecraft (brilliant book if somewhat dry).

Make sure you move her saddle up as far as she will let you get away with it as soon as she will
allow you to. None of that "knees around the ears" stuff thank you very much - save that for a More
Appropriate Location ;-)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

<snip>
> John Franklin's Cyclecraft (brilliant book if somewhat dry).
<snip>

Anyone have a copy I can have a flick through? Or do W.H.Smith do it ... ? I don't think I need it,
but wouldn't mind a flick through a chapter or two. If it's worthy of my shelf, I'll jump on Amazon
.. (ISBN: 0117020516)

Nick

In news:[email protected], Just zis Guy, you know?
<[email protected]> typed:

> Over is mastered. It doesn't take long, my wife learned to ride in no time and now pilots the
> family triplet with the two children on the back for the school run.

Is this something similar in design to the Goodies' trandem? ;)

Alex

Clive George wrote:

> Unhelpful answer - tandem.
>
> Well, it's the best solution if your SO wants to go out cycling with you. Doesn't help if she
> wants to ride on her own too though!

Actually, a good friend taught his SO to cycle by getting a tandem so they could go touring
together, and she stoked that round the Hebrides before she had her own solo (which she doesn't use
much, rather preferring the back of the G-twin if they're out for a day).

So not necessarily *that* unhelpful at all! There are definite advantages of this route: a beginner
without years of cycling muscles can easily keep up (what with being linked by a steel tube!) with
old hands (feet?) and start by doing fair size fun and interesting trips.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

. Woss "SO"?

>"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
><snip>
>> John Franklin's Cyclecraft (brilliant book if somewhat dry).
><snip>
>
>Anyone have a copy I can have a flick through? Or do W.H.Smith do it ... ? I don't think I need
>it, but wouldn't mind a flick through a chapter or two. If it's worthy of my shelf, I'll jump on
>Amazon .. (ISBN: 0117020516)
>
>Nick

Thus spake [email protected]

> . Woss "SO"?
> >
> >"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >
> ><snip>
> >> John Franklin's Cyclecraft (brilliant book if somewhat dry).
> ><snip>
> >
> >Anyone have a copy I can have a flick through? Or do W.H.Smith do
> it ... ? I
> >don't think I need it, but wouldn't mind a flick through a chapter
> or two.
> >If it's worthy of my shelf, I'll jump on Amazon .. (ISBN: 0117020516)
> >
> >Nick

Politically correct speak for significant other ~=partner ~= live-in lover/spouse etc.

> Saddle down so she can put both feet flat on the ground, pedals off and get used to scooting it.
> Gradually she will get used to coasting along with both feet off the ground for steadily
> increasing distances. Then add pedals and its just a case of putting the lifted up feet on the
> pedals and then turning the pedals.

Is this a good technique to teach 5 year olds as well? My son doesn't seem to be getting the hang of
riding and I think that it might be the stabilisers hindering rather than helping.

Al

Al wrote:
>>Saddle down so she can put both feet flat on the ground, pedals off and get used to scooting it.
>>Gradually she will get used to coasting along with both feet off the ground for steadily
>>increasing distances. Then add pedals and its just a case of putting the lifted up feet on the
>>pedals and then turning the pedals.
>>

> Is this a good technique to teach 5 year olds as well? My son doesn't seem to be getting the hang
> of riding and I think that it might be the stabilisers hindering rather than helping.

Yes. In fact there is a bike out there on the market aimed at the young learner, called Like-a-Bike,
which uses this principle. Much cheaper taking the pedals off though.

Colin

> > Over is mastered. It doesn't take long, my wife learned to ride in no time and now pilots the
> > family triplet with the two children on the back for the school run.

> Is this something similar in design to the Goodies' trandem? ;)

Judge for yourself:

http://www.chapmancentral.com/Web/public.nsf/Documents/me-n-u2

--
Guy
===

In article <[email protected]>, Al
<[email protected]> wrote:
> > Saddle down so she can put both feet flat on the ground, pedals off and get used to scooting it.
> > Gradually she will get used to coasting along with both feet off the ground for steadily
> > increasing distances. Then add pedals and its just a case of putting the lifted up feet on the
> > pedals and then turning the pedals.
> >
> Is this a good technique to teach 5 year olds as well? My son doesn't seem to be getting the hang
> of riding and I think that it might be the stabilisers hindering rather than helping.

Even better if you can do it on grass - less hurt if they fall off. When he does want to start
pedalling do that on level short grass too - the bike can't run away from under him.

hth

--
A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

> In news:[email protected], Steve McGinty
> <stephenmcginty@ntlworld_DOT_.com> typed: .
> >
> > Any tips on how to teach her, or experience from anyone who learned to ride as an adult?
> >

> Saddle down so she can put both feet flat on the ground, pedals off and
get
> used to scooting it. Gradually she will get used to coasting along with both feet off the ground
> for steadily increasing distances. Then add
pedals
> and its just a case of putting the lifted up feet on the pedals and then turning the pedals.

And any tips for deserted suitable locations for such teaching (for someone who doesn't want anyone
else to see her attempts at learning)?

Rich

In article <[email protected]>, Richard Goodman
<[email protected]> wrote:
> And any tips for deserted suitable locations for such teaching (for someone who doesn't want
> anyone else to see her attempts at learning)?

The grass in front of my shop on the Bicycle Island will have a few young people doing exactly the
same thing.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk