Learning to ride on a MUni?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling archive' started by Dogbowl, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. Dogbowl

    Dogbowl Guest

    After 30 years of being off the one-wheel (I used to ride
    when I was 14) I have been bitten again by the unicycle bug!
    I went to a meeting of the NY Unicycle club and had an
    excellent time trying out several unicycles (of course not
    getting more than 2 feet, but I am undeterred!) What I
    discovered, is that attempting to ride again seemed easier
    on a muni with a very thick tire, (I achieved 3 whole
    revolutions of the wheel!) and now I am shopping for a muni.
    Question for anyone out there--is it a good idea to re-enter
    the unicycle world with a muni (3" thick wheel), or should
    one get a few more revolutions on a standard wheel first?
    Just wondering...
    PS-- thanks to all the nice people that day who let me try
    their unicycles, and gave me tons of help! :cool:

    --
    dogbowl - New Unicyclist--I keep falling down

    "Got an urge, got a surge, and it's out of control now. Uncontrollable
    urge I want to tell you all about it." --DEVO
    dogbowl's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6629

  2. It depends entirely on what type of riding you plan to do.
    If you see MUni in your future, I would go with a fat tire.
    Why learn again on a small tire and have to adjust to a
    different size wheel ? I find my 24x3 MUni much easier to
    ride than my 24 with a 2.1 inch tire

    --
    Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

    If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

    Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

  3. Dogbowl

    Dogbowl Guest

    Thanks for the reply.
    It's amazing (at least for a beginner/re-beginner like me to see) what a
    difference the fat tire makes. I definetly want to get a MUni based
    simply on the fact that that fat tire gave me an extra boost of
    confidence in the balance department. I'm also sort of a big guy (6'3)
    and I have this idea that a thinner wheel is going to bend into an oval
    before I accomplish my first 50 feet. MUnis look and feel tougher--I'm
    not sure I'll get a chance to ride into the forest any time soon, but if
    that fat old tire can keep me going, I'll definetly head in that
    direction....:D

    --
    dogbowl - New Unicyclist--I keep falling down

    "Got an urge, got a surge, and it's out of control now. Uncontrollable
    urge I want to tell you all about it." --DEVO
    dogbowl's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6629

  4. Tennisgh22

    Tennisgh22 Guest

    dont get a gazz if you think you'll be spending a lot of time on the
    asphalt before going offroad...from what i hear, they are just awful on
    the pavement. get a duro leopard or something. or ask john foss or john
    childs, they are the experts at everything :)

    -grant

    --
    tennisgh22

    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a
    capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety
    labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
    tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771

  5. The Munieer

    The Munieer Guest

    Theres the Dyno Fireball for street use. I don't think you
    said which muni tire you had ridden on. The gazz always
    feels stable especially at lower pressures, but the Dyno
    Fireball is supposed to be great for street use and is wide.
    It has no nobs. Perhaps consider that. Please note, I
    haven't ridden a Dyno Fireball.

    --
    The Munieer - Mountaineer + Uni = MUnieer

    Rod Wylie

    The Munieer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/736

  6. Ken Cline

    Ken Cline Guest

    Buy a MUni if you want to ride offroad, not because it seems
    easier to ride right now.

    My guess is that the extra momentum of the MUni wheel
    helped stabilize you when trying to ride. The downside is
    that the same wheel will feel sluggish going down the road,
    and won't turn as easily as a road tire. MUnis generally
    have longer cranks that give you more leverage, but make
    spinning fast jerkier.

    As for a non-Muni wheel deforming: Just make sure you get a
    good unicycle (MUni or not) meant for the type of riding you
    want to do, and you'll be fine. A $100 unicycle with a steel
    rim won't last. Unless the wheel is hand built, it will
    probably benefit from tensioning and truing by a good
    wheelbuilder at a local bike shop.

    Ken

  7. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 22:21:55 -0500, "dogbowl" wrote:

    >I definetly want to get a MUni based simply on the fact
    >that that fat tire gave me an extra boost of confidence in
    >the balance department.

    I agree with Krashin'Kenny, buy the unicycle based on what
    you think you will like doing with it. Your statement quoted
    above is NOT a good reason to buy a MUni, since soon enough
    you will balance OK anyways.

    Of course, by all means buy a MUni if you want to MUni.

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    be sure to remove the saddle and simply sit on the seat
    post. this is far more comfortable - tennisgh22 on the

  8. Rowan

    Rowan Guest

    tennisgh22 wrote:
    > *dont get a gazz if you think you'll be spending a lot of
    > time on the asphalt before going offroad...from what i
    > hear, they are just awful on the pavement. get a duro
    > leopard or something.*
    People have been tricking you. The gazzaloddi performs as
    well as any other 3" wide tire on the pavement. The only
    drawback is that it costs so much, and it wears out on
    concrete. MUni tires are not ideal for pavement, but they do
    work fine. Don't believe those foolish long cranked people
    who tell you otherwise.

    --
    Rowan - _________

    [image: http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/waffe/1043691690_0.gif]
    ::*-'Click Here!'
    (http://www.outwar.com/page.php?x=2065473)
    -*::
    Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772

  9. Daino149

    Daino149 Guest

    If you know you are going to be using the uni for MUni, get
    a MUni. If you aren't sure, get a el cheapo uni (like a
    Torker). If you do get the MUni, take off the knobby tire
    until you start taking it on trails. Replace it with a
    slick, I just got a hookworm and I love it.

    Right now I have a friend learning on my trials. I think
    he likes it because the wide tire is more stable then my
    free style.

    Daniel

    --
    daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

    Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino
    Sig count: 2
    04.05.14 10636
    04.05.15 10772
    04.05.16 10861
    04.05.19 11088

  10. Onewheeldave

    Onewheeldave Guest

    Munis are great general purpose unis. I use mine a lot as a
    pavement (sidewalk) commuter.

    For tyres, I like the halo contra (Dura in the states I think)-
    a bit cheaper and lighter than the Gazz; after a few weeks
    on concrete it becomes a nice 3" slick and lasts for ages.

    If you are going to use it as a general purpose uni it could
    be worth going for the shorter cranks- I'm on 150's (6")
    which I find are a good compromise for both roads and off
    road. If I used it purely to commute I'd be tempted to use
    125's (5").

    --
    onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

    "He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
    the Muni that really fires him up."

    onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

  11. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    I learned on a Pashley 26" MUni. Another tire to use on
    pavement on a 24" is a Hookworm 24x2.5". I haven't tried one
    yet, but there's one in my basement rarin' to go. On the 26"
    I used a Conti tire for a while after shredding the tire on
    concrete. The nice knobbies have a softer rubber for better
    traction off road, and when you are learning (relearning?)
    turns, idling, and the lot, they basically just get torn off
    in little pieces. So they are expensive, wear out fast, and
    get in the way of learning.

    --
    U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

    -- Dave Stockton

  12. Tellurider

    Tellurider Guest

    My brother inlaw is learning to unicycle and is interested
    in muni and I set him up with a nimbus with a dyno fireball,
    the nimbus muni is a great intro muni it has a well built
    wheel and comes with 150mm cranks which are probably better
    for a beginner or someone who is relearning than 170s and
    the fireball is an almost slick tire which is better for
    learning and street riding and with the fireball it was just
    over $200.

    --
    Tellurider - Dan Wilson
    Tellurider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4972

  13. 1. I LOVE my Hookworm (on AND off road). I run it with high
    pressure and it performs as well as (or better) than the
    Gazz for me.

    2. Using a more narrow tire IS good. The narrow tires also
    have a smaller circumference - and that means you will
    have to work harder to make it over bumps an obsticles
    (unless you're hopping). Working harder is good because
    it will make you faster (you have to pedal faster to keep
    up) and more stable (it requires a bit more skill). Then,
    when you switch to a 2.5-3.0 tire, you will fine riding
    offroad is muuuuch easier (almost boring). Narrow tires
    can also allow you to go through sticky (clay based) mud
    while other municycles lock up.

    3. Try different things. There are people (like Rowan) that
    will call you foolish for using longer cranks - and there
    are people that will swear the Gazz is God's tire for
    municycling - having never tried other tires and setups.
    Disregard their invalid advice - and try out different
    setups until you find what is right for you. The truth
    is, when you have experienced different setups, you won't
    find "what's right for you" but rather "what's right for
    you for the circumstances" of the ride.

    4. Try different pressures on each tire. I found that lower
    pressure in most situations sucks. (I can write a long
    list why if requested).

    --
    ChangingLINKS.com - member

    Drew Brown
    http://www.ChangingLINKS.com
    ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

  14. Tennisgh22

    Tennisgh22 Guest

    onewheeldave wrote:
    > *For tyres, I like the halo contra (Dura in the states I
    > think)- a bit cheaper and lighter than the Gazz; after a
    > few weeks on concrete it becomes a nice 3" slick and lasts
    > for ages. *

    uhoh. my kh24 is coming in a couple weeks with that same
    kind of tire, (i think its the duro leopard 24x3 you are
    talking about when you say halo contra), and i was planning
    to use it for everything-- commuting, off road, & maybe a
    bit of trials. Is all the commuting gonna make the tire so
    "slick" that its not gonna work off road anymore? i can see
    how it would be good to have a "nice slick 3" wheel" if you
    were only on the pavement, but once you go offroad....

    should i buy two different wheels, and just switch everytime
    i go to the off road trails? or should i just not do a lot
    of rubber-scraping techniques on the pavement, like turning
    on one spot?

    -grant

    --
    tennisgh22

    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a
    capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety
    labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
    tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771

  15. Johnfoss

    Johnfoss Guest

    If you used to ride 30 years ago, the riding will come back
    to you relatively quickly. In other words, you'll soon be
    able to handle whatever you want to ride.

    So the question is, where/how do you want to ride?

    A MUni is not a bad thing for riding around NYC if
    that's where you
    live. You don't need an aggressive knobby for pavement, but
    a big tire will eat up bumps better than a little
    skinny one. There are lots of choices in that area.

    What you probably don't need is a heavy duty MUni with
    24x3" tire and long cranks. Unless your goal is very
    rough terrain.

    My most recent acquisition is a 29" MUni. Great cruising
    machine! The Nanoraptor tire on it has a relatively light
    pattern of ridges for offroad, and a center ridge for
    pavement. Unlike smaller tires, this center ridge hasn't
    bothered me at all though mostly I've been on dirt with it.
    This would be a great unicycle if you're into going places.
    It can still handle all sorts of technical terrain, just not
    the very hardest stuff.

    If you want more versatility, consider a 24" or 26" wheel.
    These will be easier for learning (or re-learning) idling
    and some basic tricks on.

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
    www.unicycling.com

    "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not
    because they are easy, but because they are hard." -- John F. Kennedy,

  16. tennisgh22 wrote:
    > *should i buy two different wheels, and just switch
    > everytime i go to the off road trails? or should i just
    > not do a lot of rubber-scraping techniques on the
    > pavement, like turning on one spot? -grant *

    I have different tires that I switch out - but I have found
    that the Hookworm has great traction off-road and awesome
    durability. The rolling resistance is so low, that it makes
    me feel like I could and *should* be pedalling twice as
    fast. I have only found knobby tires useful in mud (where a
    3.0 tire would lock up anyway). If you don't mind "the bald
    look" a bald Duro tire (with knobbies on the sides to get
    you out of ruts) will work fine - at least until things get
    wet. I haven't used it in deep slimy mud yet, but the only
    time my Hookworm seemed to fail was hopping across rocks in
    the stream. Once it got wet, and was coupled with my
    insufficient hopping skill, it got, well, "slick." :)

    --
    ChangingLINKS.com - member

    Drew Brown
    http://www.ChangingLINKS.com
    ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

  17. Onewheeldave

    Onewheeldave Guest

    tennisgh22 wrote:
    > *
    >
    > uhoh. my kh24 is coming in a couple weeks with that same
    > kind of tire, (i think its the duro leopard 24x3 you are
    > talking about when you say halo contra), and i was
    > planning to use it for everything-- commuting, off road, &
    > maybe a bit of trials. Is all the commuting gonna make the
    > tire so "slick" that its not gonna work off road anymore?
    > i can see how it would be good to have a "nice slick 3"
    > wheel" if you were only on the pavement, but once you go
    > offroad....
    >
    > should i buy two different wheels, and just switch
    > everytime i go to the off road trails? or should i just
    > not do a lot of rubber-scraping techniques on the
    > pavement, like turning on one spot?
    >
    > -grant *
    I find the bald contra to be fine offroad, expect when it's
    wet or muddy, in which case it's useless for anything
    remotely extreme.

    If you're going to be riding off road in mud it'd be worth
    considering an extra wheel.

    --
    onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

    "He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
    the Muni that really fires him up."

    onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

  18. Dogbowl

    Dogbowl Guest

    Wow! Thanks everyone for the input and the advice! It
    definetly makes my unicycle search more interesting and fun.