learning to ride rollers

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Bleve, Dec 9, 2005.

  1. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Urgh ... I picked my first set of rollers up this arvo ... got home
    after a day's assembling kids bikes and fitting a bloke to a new
    Synapse (you should have seen his smile when he got back from his test
    ride! It was 100 miles wide "do you reckon I could ride to work on
    it?" HA! We have a winner! Working at the LBS is very satisfying ...)
    etc ... and got home after a tootle down the freeway path & back to
    Vermont with a friend (dodging loose dogs etc, and eating a lot of
    midges)

    Now, I've only used rollers once before, and that was at a mate's place
    while he held me, so this is going to be "fun". Pop them beside Dead
    Trev's bar (long story) and jump on ... holding the bar with one hand
    and the bars with my left. Did about 15 mins, and never felt
    comfortable - it'll come I hope, will try and do 15 min on them a day
    until my balance gets to the point where I can let go of the wall!

    I may be .. some time!

    Tags:

  2. Humbug

    Humbug Guest

    On 09/12/05 at 21:19:00 Bleve somehow managed to type:

    <snip>

    > never felt comfortable - it'll come I hope, will try and do 15 min on
    > them a day until my balance gets to the point where I can let go of
    > the wall!
    >
    > I may be .. some time!

    Put a spot on the wall directly in front of you and keep your gaze
    FIXED on it, sorta like keeping your head pointed in the right
    direction when you're going steeply uphill on a loaded bike at looooow
    speed. Well it worked for me...:) What did NOT work for me was looking
    down at the front wheel and trying to keep it centred.

    Keep at it - you'll be riding 'em no hands sooner than you think.

    --
    Humbug
    BE A LOOF! (There has been a recent population explosion of lerts.)

  3. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    Bleve

    Make sure the front roller is positioned as close as you can get to
    being directly under the axle. This will significantly improve the
    handling of the bike whilst on the rollers.

    Another thing that worked for me when getting on the rollers for the
    first time was to ride no hands (ie don't touch the bars). Support
    yourself on one side by lightly resting a couple of fingers on a solid
    flat surface (eg a railing or table at the correct height). Once you
    get the front wheel moving remove the hand that have on the handle bars
    and sit up straight on the bike (not leaning forward) - the steering
    will stay reasonably straight on it's own. When you get comfortable in
    that position start to lift you fingers off the surface until you are
    no longer supported by the solid object. At this point you are riding
    no hands. When you have mastered the no hands bit then you can start
    going near the handlebars. Do this in stages as well. Start in the no
    hands position and move both hands to the top of the bars. As you
    touch the bars make sure you apply the weight evenly or you'll wobble a
    bit. From here you can graduate to the drops but again remember to
    move your weight to the new position in an even controlled manner.

    Also take note of what Humbug has said in his post regarding where to
    and where not to look.

    It's a steep learning curve but I'm sure you'll get the hang of it in
    no time.

    Geoff

  4. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Both suggestions noted & acted on, I'm improving (slowly!)

    Thanks!

  5. JayWoo

    JayWoo New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2004
    I found it very WTF to start with! But I gave it a good crack (for at least 1/2hr the 1st time) and it got way easier. It was all just practise, practise, practise for me. I still have one wall handy on my right side for getting on and off. And the occasional "OooFuk!"

  6. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    JayWoo wrote:
    > Bleve Wrote:
    > > Urgh ... I picked my first set of rollers up this arvo ...

    > I found it very WTF to start with! But I gave it a good crack (for at
    > least 1/2hr the 1st time) and it got way easier. It was all just
    > practise, practise, practise for me. I still have one wall handy on my
    > right side for getting on and off. And the occasional "OooFuk!"

    heh! I'm trying to do 15 min a day on them until I get comfortable.
    So far I haven't been able to let go of the bar table, but I'm riding
    no hands as suggested, and am occasionally feeling able to reduce the
    deathgrip on the bar to a slightly less white-knucked clench! I can
    ride on a narrow track on the road just fine .. so this is probably
    just (!) confidence. Now "RELAX" ok?!!

  7. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2003
    Of course, the less white knuckle you are the easier it will be, I learnt in a doorway, then you can bounce off your elbows. You'll find that you'll be narrow post rollers.

    I now use them next to a bench, the problem is the bench will have you tending to want to lean on it (which puts your balance to one side).

    The comment about the roller position is also very applicable, swapping from a longer to shorter bike (track to road) leads to very different roller orientation and feel. I'm to lazy to move it around but using when getting your feel for them it is very important.

    No hands is surprisingly easy when you get your weight properly back (ie. sitting upright and not feeling ready to dive for the bars)

    PiledHigher