Learning to trackstand

Karlo

May 12, 2003
Hi everyone,
I'm sure this question has been asked many times, but a search of the forum didn't turn up anything. How does one learn to trackstand?

(I put it in this forum because I thought it would be a road racing/training skill, but if all the instructions are somewhere else please tell me)

Originally posted by Karlo
Hi everyone,
I'm sure this question has been asked many times, but a search of the forum didn't turn up anything. How does one learn to trackstand?

(I put it in this forum because I thought it would be a road racing/training skill, but if all the instructions are somewhere else please tell me)

Think its the first time its been asked from memory.

If you are doing it on a road bike, get your bike to come to a halt with level pedals. Put on your front brake 1 at 00% and turn bars to prefered side (I'm right handed and turn my wheel to the left). Putting all of your weight on your pedals not on your saddle, if you start to lean left or right move your bike rather than your body to correct it. When you are ready to go, turn your bars forward and release the brake. Pedal away.

Hope that makes sense.

Try these:

start on grass, not only incase you fall off, it is actually way easier (no idea why)

head up a small rise, that way you can push forward and let gravity push back

I dont have pedals lvl, I have front foot up about 10 degree higher

Practice, practice and practice, when you get bored, practice more

if your right handed, have left foot up and turn wheel to left (as a rule) but always wheel towards front foot

I can do very well, never put a foot down at trafic lights for as long as I can remember about 20 years, Just as the others have said roll to a stop turn the front up the camber of the road, which makes the bike want to roll back and then just apply pressure to the front foot pedal -for me its turn to the right(we drive on the left in NZ) and I have the right foor forward. You wont even have to touch the brakes. John

The way I learnt was on a fixed wheel on drive way. Slanted driveway makes bike roll back and makes it way easier. Just keep practising and you'll be doing with your eyes closed.

Hey, thanks for all of the great responses so far! Yesterday I did some practicing in my dorm hall, and got a few seconds. Unfortunately my dorm hall is level not sloped as the ideal surface would be, so I do have a disadvantage there, but there is hope.

As for outside practice, about 5 inches of snow fell here last night, so that isn't really an option for another few days.

remember the foot that's usually in front when your coasting? be sure to have that foot in front, especially when you're learning. I like doing it on thin carpet, but after awhile you can do it anywhere.
If you want to really impress your friends turn you bars to almost 90 degrees form the frame and sit up while removing your hands from the bars(not that hard if you have a "handed" trackstand down pat)

This advice is great. Can't wait to get out and try. First I'm going to have a go on my fixie, then move to my road bike.

Has anyone ever pedalled backwards a substantial distance on the fixie? Now that would be a good party trick.

practice, practice, practice!!

put both brakes on stand in the "middle" of the bike . When you feel like you are losing balance move pump back or forward and sit on the brakes again.

Its like riding a bike...once you learn you will never forget!!

on the fixie, leg strength is very beneficial. you need to have total control over crank movement.
spider1977, have you mastered the curbhop on the fixie yet??.
this is my next holy grail. i know the theory, just have to practice a bit more...

Originally posted by byron27
on the fixie, leg strength is very beneficial. you need to have total control over crank movement.
spider1977, have you mastered the curbhop on the fixie yet??.
this is my next holy grail. i know the theory, just have to practice a bit more...

Got to agree, standstills on the trackie "BURN LIKE HELL" after abit