Learning to train properly

samcrx3

Apr 25, 2005
Hi Guys, I'm not new to cycling, but for the first time on Sat a member of our group has started to teach me how to ride properly with the gears so I can keep up with the bunch. This is the next day and I feel as though I've been squeezed through a vice. My whole body hurts from my pects thru to my bottom, saddle area, thighs and calfs and everything in between. He believes I will be able to ride like a whippet if I keep training. I'm a small female, weigh 53kg, great cadence and have a light road bike. I have everything going for me, I just need to learn how to pace the higher gear and get fitter.
Since I hurt so much, how long do I leave it before I get back on that bike. It is going to hurt for a while, do I push through it knowing my body will eventually get used to it or rest a couple of days. Thanks for your input.

Yep, when you're starting out try to ride every day - if possible. If you're sore from the previous day, take it easy for the first 15-20mins to get warmed up. During that time, circulation will flush the toxins out of your muscles and you'll start to feel much better.

The best advice for you now is to JRYB - Just ride your bike. It's really that simple. You'll gain fitness very fast by employing those four words...hang in there.

My suggestions:
Have you been properly, correctly, professionally fit to your bike? If any adjustments are off, even a little, your body would pay the price.

If you are giving your muscles a good workout, do what the bodybuilders generally do: skip a day before working those muscles again. The muscles will better repair themselves and strengthen in that down time.
After your rides, feed the muscles, as well as your body, with protein (I use protein powder) and carbs. (don't forget to stay hydrated)

Get plenty of sleep and rest. I know it may not always be possible, but after a workout or working your muscles, you should try to get at least eight hours of sleep. This is a prime time for your body to repair itself.

I practice what I preach - Before my stroke last year, I was a Cardio Fanatic at a local gym. (This did not have anything to do with my stroke, BUT having my body in good shape from lots of cardio helped my body in reducing the affects of the stroke and likely made my hospital stay much shorter than if I never worked out.
I urge everyone to make sure their blood pressure is okay, a big cause of strokes!