Learsport, are they any good?

Robbo_ said:
How do you work out zero offset, ( I know that probably sounds stupid) from what point?
).
the offset refers to the actual seatpost. A zero offset post has the seat clamp directly above the post part. Like this one:
http://www.eastonbike.com/PRODUCTS/POSTS/post_ec90_zero.html

Most road post have some setback: http://www.eastonbike.com/PRODUCTS/POSTS/post_ea70_'06.html

some tri seatposts even have the clamps forward of center. (points forward)
http://www.profile-design.com/2006_product_pages/seat_post/fast_forward.html

most cycling race competitors (apart from the 'unusually dimensioned') are not supposed to have the tip of the seat less than 5cm behind the middle of the crank axle, but triathletes are exempt from this rule.

Robbo_ said:
How do you work out zero offset, ( I know that probably sounds stupid) from what point?

If you do move the seat forward you would have to move the handlebars forward as well?? That is something that I was going to try (moving the seat forward).
As I understand it, the whole point of tri geometry is to get you forward onto your aero bars for aerodynamics and to reduce hip flexion slightly, which increases power and efficiency a little. So you don't move the handlebars (except, perhaps, to drop them), you put your aero bars on.

Most seat posts have a rearward offset of 15-25mm, the seat rails are also offset. A zero offset post has no rearward offset, effectively steepening the angle, leaving the hands where they are to open up the pedaling angle, read the article from Budgie.

Flat Bar road bikes are now the second most popular style in short course triathlons in the USA.

Robbo_ said:
Duratec frames, does anybody know anything about them? Are they any good?

Duratec frames are custom frames handmade in the Czech republic. I have one after having a friend bring it back from czech and it is one of the best bike I have ever ridden. Easily the best value for money custom frame around, better than any of the local frame builders can make, and I have just heard that a new importer has taken them on in australia, so I expect to see some in local shops in the near future.

they are the the most hopeless company ever registered

staffed by twits

if you shout immigration i bet the entire shop staff would dissapear into the ether

bad experience buying a bike has left me bitter to this franchise run a thousand bloody miles

Jeytown said:
they are the the most hopeless company ever registered.....staffed by twits......if you shout immigration i bet the entire shop staff would dissapear into the ether....bad experience buying a bike has left me bitter to this franchise run a thousand bloody miles
that's funny. :) Did you try to buy direct......or are you in competition with them :p

Did you see the other thread?
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t336863.html
Azzurri are the same company

no not in any competition with them

(why would you ? they are the south sydney rabbitoes of the cycling community total wooden spooners !)

the story is quite simple and it showed me that internet shopping for bicycles is not for the faint hearted.

i bought one of the lower end specials and about one month of riding and the chain snapped and caused me to have a shoulder injury that i have still problems with

when i questioned them about a return they started to act quite tough and stand firm
at least that was what i thought once i translated there poor engrish skills.

overall i have had many bikes

peugot
centurion
avanti
apollo
now im riding a wheeler which kicks butt and i have put it all behind me but a soon as i hear that somebody is considering this hole of company i tell them run the other way.

Jeytown said:
no not in any competition...........
that's a bummer.

It sounds like some monkey has done a very slack job of putting the chain on.

you know its sad because its those little things that define a warehaouse full of chain monkeys to a full blown cycle shop that is right on the money

but i know that im doing the right thing steering them to anyone else other than them

Hey Jeytown,

I didn't have a good sales experience with Learsport either.
Yes I went direct.

Earlier calls with regards to my issue were responded to in a manner that I found extremely unsatisfactory.

The issue was resolved to my satisfaction after I appeared in the store and spoke directly to the Manager. If I hadn't appeared on the showroom floor I doubt this issue would have been resolved.

Regards
Ant

531Aussie said:
that's a bummer.

It sounds like some monkey has done a very slack job of putting the chain on.
could also explain why they seem to have bottom brackets that are often impossible to remove...know of 4 different owners who wanted to use their drive train from their learsport when they realised they couldnt do much with the frame geometry, and all had bottom brackets on so tight they had to destroy the remnants of the frame ( probably better so it "couldn't" be on sold.

So if anyone's heart is set on one, and you get it from a shop, make the shop remove the BB before you take delivery ( in your presence preferably) and put it back at correct torque...you'll probably find they cant get it out!

then run a mile.

just reminds us that there is some protection from most reputable bike shops and if you find a good one, support them, rather than going with the apparent cheap deal from an online store you may have a hassle finding someone to talk to or get back up on warranty.

remember if the deal looks cheap, it is.

thanks rooman

my sentiments exactly

thats why ill always go local and if not go to where freinds will go because these guys have local knowledge and will always push quality rather than the internet beauty's we often see...........

"GET IN QUICK YALL I ONLY HAVE 50 MILLION DODGYMAX 3000'S LEFT AND THERE ALL GOING TODAY" (insert rather weird looking angle of an inferior bike under bad lighting)

CLICK HERE AND GET A FREE PAIR OF GRONK BOOTS (put picture of man smiling at oncoming truck ?)

hey good to hear wrxant

ithought i was the only one !

it seems as if they (bieng internet bike shops) really dont give a rats about there product because i guess the rationale is well they will just go to the neasrest bike shop to get it fixed.

and most internet shops most often will place blame on aus post or any courier company with the time honjoured linE

"WELL I REMEMBER THAT BIKE IN A BOX ESPECIALLY AND IT MUST HAVE BEEN LOST ENROUTE , HAVE A NICE DAY AND THANKS FOR SHOPPING WITH RATS I BLEW MY MONEY.COM"

Learsport are not an internet setup per se, they are sold by plenty of reputable bike shops alongside more expensive brands. Just because you had your chain fall off doesn't make the bikes ****. The drive trains and other componentry are identical to any other bike with Shimano gear. Frames are 3rd party with their own paint job.

Stopyerbellyachinalready.

whatever jur

the bikes are ****

the staff are ****

the options on the **** bikes are well ****

i know that if you buy a bike regardless of the componentry that you should be assured that the owners will do all in there power to rectify

this is not the case with JEERSPORT they are interested only in pushing inferior product plain and simple

but if you feel different then thats great thats why its a democracy

jur said:
Learsport are not an internet setup per se, they are sold by plenty of reputable bike shops alongside more expensive brands. Just because you had your chain fall off doesn't make the bikes ****. The drive trains and other componentry are identical to any other bike with Shimano gear. Frames are 3rd party with their own paint job.

Stopyerbellyachinalready.
Learsport is first and formost an online seller, then it has its own stores and then, repeat then, it sells through some dealers.

this is also clearly their approach with their website and the way they prioritse themselves, their dealers are clear last.

check it out...http://www.learsport.com.au/index.php

doesnt change the fact they could be so much better, their back end lets them down and that is a direct result of their corporate priority, on line sales, so that to them they can be...out of sight ..out of mind

I wouldnt like to be a dealer for them with the back up they deliver to the public, their dealers would be further down the list.

no belly aching just stating the obvious

if it's cheap...it is

thanks rooman

that is exactly what i am thinking whenever i see a jeersport on the road or in the shops

icon6.gif

rooman said:
Learsport is first and formost an online seller, then it has its own stores and then, repeat then, it sells through some dealers.

this is also clearly their approach with their website and the way they prioritse themselves, their dealers are clear last.
Absolute rubbish. A quick comparison of their site to say Cecil Walker's reveals that their site is rudimentary at best, and out of date so not actively maintained. If they relied on that "first and foremost", well good luck to them. Do you have any sales data to support that supposition? I suspect not.

How parts are put together does not necessarily make the whole bad quality; an over-tightened BB while clearly not desirable won't fall out, and breaking chains are not the exclusive domain of learsport. My bike had the FD cable insufficiently tightened; quality control can be improved bucketloads but again the bikes are not bad quality because of all these points. If you are the sort of rider who can not and does not maintain their own bike, then yes, perhaps these guys should be avoided, or buy a Learsport for the same price through Cecil Walker who will give you all the necessary after sales service.

kwityerfactfreebellyachin.

rooman said:

<snip>

If it is firstly an online dealer then they are not very good. There are quite a few more options in bikes at the factory shop than are advertised online.
I certainly wouldn't classify them as an online shop.
Also, you can usually you get an online discount from a brick shop....at Learsport you get a huge discount from just walking in. You are literally told to ignore any listed price...including those on the website.