Learsport/Cytek bicycles...

Fran Bailey

Guest
I'm looking to buy myself a new bike (long overdue; I've been riding the
same bike for 16 years), and I've spent much time traipsing through bike
shops asking questions, but what I really want is some unbiased,
real-world experience from people who ride instead of sell. So of
course that brings me to aus.bicycle!

I've looked at many bikes, but I've narrowed it down to two likelies:
the LearSport 8500, and the Cytek Gervasio.

Here's the specs:

LearSport 8500 (http://www.learsport.com/lear8500/UltegraALLCUST.htm)
has Columbus Zonal frame with carbon seat stays and fork, full 10-speed
Ultegra groupset, Shimano R550 wheels. $2200.

Cytek Gervasio (http://www.cytekbicycles.com/bike3.htm) has 7005 alloy
frame and carbon fork, almost full 9-speed Ultegra groupo (Different
cranks, headset, etc.), Ritchey Pro wheels. $1800.

I've ridden the 8500 (well it was one size too small, but it gave me the
general idea) and it felt good, but after a 16 year-old bike, any new
bike would...

Every bike shop I've spoken to froths at the mouth with hatred for
LearSport (me, exagerate?). The fact is they cut out the middle-man
(the bike shop) and sell direct. It's true that you don't get the
added-value of bike shop service, advice, custom-fitting, and discounts
on clothing & accessories bought at the same time, but after 20 years of
riding I can service / adjust the bike myself.

As you've probably guessed, I'm leaning toward the LearSport, and my
reasoning is this; the only (possible) weak point is the frame, and I
could upgrade that further down the track (mortgate-permitting). While
I was over at LearSport's shop, I talked to a guy that was getting his
bike (a LearSport 9000, full Dura-ace) adjusted - he and a friend have
bought 8 LearSport bikes between them, and they're very happy with them.

So does anyone else have experience with them, or the Cytek bike? Any
horror stories??

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Fran Bailey wrote:

<lots of stuff, but T snipped it all>

Well, I've written lots over the 6 months or so on my Learsport 8000
(model down from the one you're looking at) which I use as a commuter and
for training sessions where I leave my bike somewhere locked up (because
my race bike is too beautiful to do that too). It's a great bike, I've
left reflectors on it and attached a bell and all that tacky stuff. The
geometry wasn't as nice as my Felt F50 so I bought a straight seatpost,
got a Woodman carbon one because the compact frame geometry wasn't quite
so comfortable, and it came with a men's saddle on it so I had that
replaced. I really like it except probably if I had more money I would
replace the pedals, because they're just not as reliable as my miche
pedals. Once I was going up a hill and it unclipped on me, and on a couple
of occasions I've had more trouble clicking out than I do with my miche
pedals. If you've got small hands you might also find the slant on the
drops puts you further back from the shifters than you'd like. Handles
well, no problems and the components are awesome.

Tamyka

Fran Bailey said:
[...]

Nothing at all wrong with Columbus Zonal - it was close to top of their range at one time! Great specs for the price on the rest of the bike..

M "not so jaded about Learsport" H

"Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Fran Bailey wrote:
>
> <lots of stuff, but T snipped it all>
>
> Well, I've written lots over the 6 months or so on my Learsport 8000
> (model down from the one you're looking at) which I use as a commuter and
> for training sessions where I leave my bike somewhere locked up (because
> my race bike is too beautiful to do that too). It's a great bike, I've
> left reflectors on it and attached a bell and all that tacky stuff. The
> geometry wasn't as nice as my Felt F50 so I bought a straight seatpost,
> got a Woodman carbon one because the compact frame geometry wasn't quite
> so comfortable, and it came with a men's saddle on it so I had that
> replaced. I really like it except probably if I had more money I would
> replace the pedals, because they're just not as reliable as my miche
> pedals. Once I was going up a hill and it unclipped on me, and on a couple
> of occasions I've had more trouble clicking out than I do with my miche
> pedals. If you've got small hands you might also find the slant on the
> drops puts you further back from the shifters than you'd like. Handles
> well, no problems and the components are awesome.
>
> Tamyka

Tamyka, if you were as smart as you think you are you would get into
recumbents and forget about uprights. But hey, you are a genius, so figure
out how to get comfy on an upright. Once you have got it figured out, you
will be ready for the grave. Trust me on this. There is no way a woman is
ever going to get comfy on an upright bicycle. Basically, our posteriors
(and indeed out whole bodies) were designed for seats, not saddles. Try to
wise up why don't you?

Most men are into being macho and are too stupid to know that it is possible
to ride a bicycle and to also be perfectly comfortable while doing so. Why
don't you get smart and get a recumbent and then come over to ARBR where you
will be appreciated. I have scared off most of the women here but I think
you show some promise as having a bit of guts and moxy.

You also need to forget about all that training ****. Don't you know that
men like women with nice feminine curves and do not care for athletic types
at all. And yes, you can be healthy without killing yourself with exercise.
Ride your bike for the pleasure of it. Any other reason is crazy.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Edward Dolan wrote:

> "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> > On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Fran Bailey wrote:
> >
> > <lots of stuff, but T snipped it all>
> >
> > Well, I've written lots over the 6 months or so on my Learsport 8000
> > (model down from the one you're looking at) which I use as a commuter and
> > for training sessions where I leave my bike somewhere locked up (because
> > my race bike is too beautiful to do that too). It's a great bike, I've
> > left reflectors on it and attached a bell and all that tacky stuff. The
> > geometry wasn't as nice as my Felt F50 so I bought a straight seatpost,
> > got a Woodman carbon one because the compact frame geometry wasn't quite
> > so comfortable, and it came with a men's saddle on it so I had that
> > replaced. I really like it except probably if I had more money I would
> > replace the pedals, because they're just not as reliable as my miche
> > pedals. Once I was going up a hill and it unclipped on me, and on a couple
> > of occasions I've had more trouble clicking out than I do with my miche
> > pedals. If you've got small hands you might also find the slant on the
> > drops puts you further back from the shifters than you'd like. Handles
> > well, no problems and the components are awesome.
> >
> > Tamyka

> Tamyka, if you were as smart as you think you are you would get into
> recumbents and forget about uprights. But hey, you are a genius, so figure
> out how to get comfy on an upright. Once you have got it figured out, you
> will be ready for the grave. Trust me on this. There is no way a woman is
> ever going to get comfy on an upright bicycle. Basically, our posteriors
> (and indeed out whole bodies) were designed for seats, not saddles. Try to
> wise up why don't you?

I never said how smart I thought I was. I think that was Marty. All
three of my bikes are comfortable. However, I do prefer running.

> Most men are into being macho and are too stupid to know that it is possible
> to ride a bicycle and to also be perfectly comfortable while doing so. Why
> don't you get smart and get a recumbent and then come over to ARBR where you
> will be appreciated. I have scared off most of the women here but I think
> you show some promise as having a bit of guts and moxy.
>
> You also need to forget about all that training ****. Don't you know that
> men like women with nice feminine curves and do not care for athletic types
> at all. And yes, you can be healthy without killing yourself with exercise.
> Ride your bike for the pleasure of it. Any other reason is crazy.

As for those curves, you clearly didn't see those circus photos the
others did. As a general rule, all female cyclists are proud of their
curves. I will not bore you with millions of references as to why
exercise is not killing me. Finally, I do ride my bike because I enjoy
it. I do not participate in cycling races unless the government pays me
to. Sim for research.

> --
> Regards,
>
> Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

"Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]

>> you
>> will be appreciated. I have scared off most of the women here but I think
>> you show some promise as having a bit of guts and moxy.
>>
>> You also need to forget about all that training ****. Don't you know that
>> men like women with nice feminine curves and do not care for athletic
>> types
>> at all. And yes, you can be healthy without killing yourself with
>> exercise.
>> Ride your bike for the pleasure of it. Any other reason is crazy.

> As for those curves, you clearly didn't see those circus photos the
> others did. As a general rule, all female cyclists are proud of their
> curves. I will not bore you with millions of references as to why
> exercise is not killing me. Finally, I do ride my bike because I enjoy
> it. I do not participate in cycling races unless the government pays me

As long as you are doing whatever you are doing in the realm of sport for
enjoyment you are OK. But I know so many women who become obsessed by a
sport that they seem to lose all perspective. Men are just stupid enough to
get taken in by all sorts of sports nonsense, but women should always have
more sense than to get bamboozled by cycling, running, swimming or whatever.
Moderation is the key to just about everything in life. But by and large, I
do not think much about racing of any kind. It is essentially a childish
thing and something that only a child should take any delight in.

--

Edward Dolan wrote:
But by and large, I do not think much
>> about racing of any kind. It is essentially a childish thing and
>> something that only a child should take any delight in.
>> Regards,
>>
>> Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

The above are no doubt the words of somebody that never won anything.
Except for the contest for the person taking himself too seriously that is..
Jock

"Jock" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
> But by and large, I do not think much
>>> about racing of any kind. It is essentially a childish thing and
>>> something that only a child should take any delight in.
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

> The above are no doubt the words of somebody that never won anything.
> Except for the contest for the person taking himself too seriously that
> is..
> Jock

I was several times in the winner's circle at various marble tournaments
back in the early 50's. In fact I went on to become the Minnesota state
champion one year. Marbles is tricky. It requires more skill than you might
imagine. I do not think kids play marbles anymore.

--

Edward Dolan wrote:
>> I was several times in the winner's circle at various marble
>> tournaments back in the early 50's. In fact I went on to become the
>> Minnesota state champion one year. Marbles is tricky. It requires
>> more skill than you might imagine. I do not think kids play marbles
>> anymore.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Ed, your ball skills are not in question here by me.. :p
Is the 'Great' thing a hangover from those halcyon days in the dirt?
Jock

"Jock" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
> >> I was several times in the winner's circle at various marble
> >> tournaments back in the early 50's. In fact I went on to become the
> >> Minnesota state champion one year. Marbles is tricky. It requires
> >> more skill than you might imagine. I do not think kids play marbles
> >> anymore.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

> Ed, your ball skills are not in question here by me.. :p
> Is the 'Great' thing a hangover from those halcyon days in the dirt?
> Jock

You might say Ed lost all his marbles

Edward Dolan said:
"Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Fran Bailey wrote:
>
> <lots of stuff, but T snipped it all>
>
> Well, I've written lots over the 6 months or so on my Learsport 8000
> (model down from the one you're looking at) which I use as a commuter and
> for training sessions where I leave my bike somewhere locked up (because
> my race bike is too beautiful to do that too). It's a great bike, I've
> left reflectors on it and attached a bell and all that tacky stuff. The
> geometry wasn't as nice as my Felt F50 so I bought a straight seatpost,
> got a Woodman carbon one because the compact frame geometry wasn't quite
> so comfortable, and it came with a men's saddle on it so I had that
> replaced. I really like it except probably if I had more money I would
> replace the pedals, because they're just not as reliable as my miche
> pedals. Once I was going up a hill and it unclipped on me, and on a couple
> of occasions I've had more trouble clicking out than I do with my miche
> pedals. If you've got small hands you might also find the slant on the
> drops puts you further back from the shifters than you'd like. Handles
> well, no problems and the components are awesome.
>
> Tamyka

Tamyka, if you were as smart as you think you are you would get into
recumbents and forget about uprights. But hey, you are a genius, so figure
out how to get comfy on an upright. Once you have got it figured out, you
will be ready for the grave. Trust me on this. There is no way a woman is
ever going to get comfy on an upright bicycle. Basically, our posteriors
(and indeed out whole bodies) were designed for seats, not saddles. Try to
wise up why don't you?

Most men are into being macho and are too stupid to know that it is possible
to ride a bicycle and to also be perfectly comfortable while doing so. Why
don't you get smart and get a recumbent and then come over to ARBR where you
will be appreciated. I have scared off most of the women here but I think
you show some promise as having a bit of guts and moxy.

You also need to forget about all that training ****. Don't you know that
men like women with nice feminine curves and do not care for athletic types
at all. And yes, you can be healthy without killing yourself with exercise.
Ride your bike for the pleasure of it. Any other reason is crazy.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
Well, Ed, you're not a man, you're a troll, and I DO like women with some muscle, as well as some soft tissue - but mate, you've not been near any women's (or anyone's except your own dried up wrinkly stuff) soft tissue for so long that you've seized up: brain, heart and recumbent-addled body. Go away, there's a good chap, back to your little Lake Wobegon existence, and stop infecting perfectly good aus.bicycle (note the 'aus.'? Means "not for sad-**** septics with a grudge against the world") threads with your lunatic diatribe and thinly-diguised misogyny, misanthropy and general ****-headedness.

M "260 million of them and we had to get HIM?" H

mfhor said:
Well, Ed, you're not a man, you're a troll, and I DO like women with some muscle, as well as some soft tissue - but mate, you've not been near any women's (or anyone's except your own dried up wrinkly stuff) soft tissue for so long that you've seized up: brain, heart and recumbent-addled body. Go away, there's a good chap, back to your little Lake Wobegon existence, and stop infecting perfectly good aus.bicycle (note the 'aus.'? Means "not for sad-**** septics with a grudge against the world") threads with your lunatic diatribe and thinly-diguised misogyny, misanthropy and general ****-headedness.

M "260 million of them and we had to get HIM?" H

Too Subtle MH. Trolls like him dont understand.
Obviously just another yank c**k sucker who thinks that
" aus. " means Austin Texas. Well Mr. Ed it means AUSTRALIA and your ******** opinions count for **** down here so ********.

"260 million of them and we had to get HIM?"

Hugh