Learsport Road Bikes

smartie

Feb 15, 2005
Was looking for an inexpensive road bike for Dad (thanks Gclark8 for answering my other thread but he wants the full road look with drop bars) and saw the Learsport 7700 Road bike at $1100 which is at least $100 less than i can get a comparable Tiagra Road bike for.

Can anyone avvise on the quality of Learsport road bikes (after the debacle of the GVBR) and as they appear the best value for money bike out there component wise.

Goldcross Cycles have the OCR2 for $999. Probably better specs too.

I have heard form people who aren't impressed with the Learsport Brand. I was recently looking for a bike and the Learsport8500 was one of them. Not many shops stock them and a few said they wouildn't even if they were paid. So who knows? I ended up with an OCR1 for $1,485.00.

Not much response was had and after a heap of research and thought i ended up getting the Learsport 8000 for Dad.

I am aware of the reputation in the industry for the bikes but most of what i have heard relates to the GVBR bikes which were a pile of **** (i had one myself and managed to get $50 for it from the next door neighbour). There were sweeteners which included a 15% discount for a trade-in. This brought the price to $1189 for a FULL 105 groupset bike. They also threw in Shimano 550 wheels for $200 if i took the option of $100 worth of accessories for free. (got Dad a helmet, computer and saddle bag).

If the frame does prove to be no good (the only bit that isn't basically Shimano, Ritchie or Selle) i can buy another frame and still have a 105 road bike which is comparable to anything else on the market.

Should have seen the trade in bike. Malvern Star Sportstar (early 80's). The tyres wouldn't even hold air and every component was shagged. The cobwebs and dust was still on it as it was dragged into the shop. Came complete with spare bike (exactly the same but with bits missing). I've seen these thrown out in hard rubbish collections in better condition.

If it does prove to be a lemon i'll report it on here. But the way i see it, value for money is definately there.

I think you've bought a good value bike. My mate has had his Learsport 9000 for almost a year now and it's a really nice bike. He had the same hesitations you did about the brand - but a full Dura-Ace groupset on a quality frame for $3K is hard to beat. His only gripe was that if the 2005 10spd Ultegra equipped bike had of been out at the time he would have bought that.
He also worked at a bike shop years ago and so the lack of retail outlets wasn't really an issue. However the lack of after sales service might be a consideration for someone not quite as bike savvy.
Another friend has recently purchased a Giant TCR-1 with the 10spd Ultegra and for $2600 it also is a top value bike.
Anyway - now you have the bike - enjoy the riding !

Cheers,
Dave

stucey said:
Goldcross Cycles have the OCR2 for $999. Probably better specs too.

I have heard form people who aren't impressed with the Learsport Brand. I was recently looking for a bike and the Learsport8500 was one of them. Not many shops stock them and a few said they wouildn't even if they were paid. So who knows? I ended up with an OCR1 for $1,485.00.

I think one of the main problems that LBS's have with Learsport is not the bikes but the back-up and service from the company that sells them.

I've ridden all of their road bikes and I can say that that for the price they're hard to beat. After all they are just an assembly of parts direct from the manufacturers. However make sure that you get someone professional to double check all the things that need to be tightened, that the wheels are true etc. Generally they are OK but no harm in making sure everything is how it should be.

smartie said:
<snip> Can anyone avvise on the quality of Learsport road bikes (after the debacle of the GVBR) and as they appear the best value for money bike out there component wise.

I bought a Lear8000 around 18 months ago. I have upgraded some of the components. It seems to be performing fine. The only thing I need checked out is the headset (think it rattles ever so slightly, but a cursory check does not show it to be loose).

Cheers
P

I bought an 8500 frame. The one with the curved carbon seat stays. I have heard complains about the welding but the welding and paint work on mine are excellent. The ride is compliant. There may be two problems I can see. The headset is a Cane Creek zero stack semi intergrated. I hope these don`t go out of production soon. I`m running 23mm tyres and I don`t think 25mm will fit which seems unusual given the market segment it is targeted at. I assume commuters and entry level triathletes.

good read

especially since i want a cheap commuter bike so my giant VT doesn't wear out from the road duties

i am considering the lear7000... hard to beat for $720

my cousin had a mtb allterrain 2 and i has been problematic... but you can't generalise between a dual suspension $400 bike vs a road bike... i suppose

they've opened a few new shops so you can get better aftermarket service and better fit...

please tell me if you have had a bad exp with learsport road bike or forever hold your peace ;)

The only problem Dad has had is with the crappy Wellgo pedals on the bike. I will eventually change the pedals for Look ones as cash permits. The rest of it has run really well.

Bike Victoria has a renewal offer of a discount on the whole range of Learsport bikes which would make the 7000 cheaper still. (or better yet get the next bike up in the range for approximately the same price).;)

Hi all,
I've now had a Learsport 8500 (Ultegra 10 spd, carbon forks, rear stays, seat post, 550 wheels, no pedals) since December 04 and have ridden >6000ks . I got this for $1999 direct from Learsport.

After reading several posts questioning a Learsport purchase, I took the punt because it was simply too good a deal. Similar equipment was close to $3000. Thought that even if the frame was ****, the remainder of the equipment couldn't be bought for the price. Also, with the chancellor of the exchequer being a full-time mum, I had to go for a price point as much as I wanted the full carbon, dura-ace Colnago.

So, it pleases me to say that I am very happy. Haven't had a problem with the bike whatsoever and woud thoroughly recommend a purchase. I ride Masters B grade in Queensland and have won several races on this thing (love beating the super expensive bikes).

Took me several months to get used to the sloping frame geometry as I came from a traditional steel frame (Viner) - I had sore bits. I probably still prefer the traditional frame shape, but then it took many years for me to upgrade the Viner (btw if you are still riding an old steel clanger, upgrade NOW - it makes a big difference).

I would like the headset to be shorter so that I can get a lower position for time trialling. I also think that the frame is not as stiff as the Viner and whether it is this, the frame geometry or my ageing legs I can't seem to get the same kick out of the bike at the top of a sprint. The distance from seat to headset is longer than I think it should be for a medium size.

I added some Ultegra pedals ($80 from probikekit) and replaced the low spec Vittoria tyres with GP3000s ($38 from probikekit - can you believe it?). I will probably add a new seat as I don't like the emblazoning on it (Learsport: please don't do this in future). I get lots of questions about the bike and people are amazed when I tell them the price. There is strong brand following in cycling and people are prepared to pay a premium for this. I like to think of myself as more spiritual than material or maybe that is my justification.

I took my bike to the LBS which gave it a service and commented on how tight the bike was. Mind you, the local bike shop is bloody friendly, I can imagine some being snobby about the bike.

So, in summary: YES it was an excellent buy and I would recommend one to most buyers. I would suggest that you see the bike first (mine was mail order) and make sure that the geometry fits you. Get assistance with getting set up on the bike. I use mine for racing, training & commuting - this gives it a good workout - the frame quality seems to be there (I bet it's made in the same Taiwanese factory as your more common brand names).

The only reason that I would not buy one is if I could afford that all carbon Colnago. As much as I love my wife and kids, the love I share with my bike will one day mean a Colnago mistress.

dxwell1 said:
Hi all,
I've now had a Learsport 8500 (Ultegra 10 spd, carbon forks, rear stays, seat post, 550 wheels, no pedals) since December 04 and have ridden >6000ks . I got this for $1999 direct from Learsport.

After reading several posts questioning a Learsport purchase, I took the punt because it was simply too good a deal. Similar equipment was close to $3000. Thought that even if the frame was ****, the remainder of the equipment couldn't be bought for the price. Also, with the chancellor of the exchequer being a full-time mum, I had to go for a price point as much as I wanted the full carbon, dura-ace Colnago.

So, it pleases me to say that I am very happy. Haven't had a problem with the bike whatsoever and woud thoroughly recommend a purchase. I ride Masters B grade in Queensland and have won several races on this thing (love beating the super expensive bikes).

Took me several months to get used to the sloping frame geometry as I came from a traditional steel frame (Viner) - I had sore bits. I probably still prefer the traditional frame shape, but then it took many years for me to upgrade the Viner (btw if you are still riding an old steel clanger, upgrade NOW - it makes a big difference).

I would like the headset to be shorter so that I can get a lower position for time trialling. I also think that the frame is not as stiff as the Viner and whether it is this, the frame geometry or my ageing legs I can't seem to get the same kick out of the bike at the top of a sprint. The distance from seat to headset is longer than I think it should be for a medium size.

I added some Ultegra pedals ($80 from probikekit) and replaced the low spec Vittoria tyres with GP3000s ($38 from probikekit - can you believe it?). I will probably add a new seat as I don't like the emblazoning on it (Learsport: please don't do this in future). I get lots of questions about the bike and people are amazed when I tell them the price. There is strong brand following in cycling and people are prepared to pay a premium for this. I like to think of myself as more spiritual than material or maybe that is my justification.

I took my bike to the LBS which gave it a service and commented on how tight the bike was. Mind you, the local bike shop is bloody friendly, I can imagine some being snobby about the bike.

So, in summary: YES it was an excellent buy and I would recommend one to most buyers. I would suggest that you see the bike first (mine was mail order) and make sure that the geometry fits you. Get assistance with getting set up on the bike. I use mine for racing, training & commuting - this gives it a good workout - the frame quality seems to be there (I bet it's made in the same Taiwanese factory as your more common brand names).

The only reason that I would not buy one is if I could afford that all carbon Colnago. As much as I love my wife and kids, the love I share with my bike will one day mean a Colnago mistress.
good report,

i have heard good stuff about Learsport Road bikes but not MTBs

thumbs up for supporting the Aussie Brand

I've just bought a Lear 8500- got a cheap deal, ie the 550 wheels down-graded to Tiagra hubs/ Alex DA22 Rims (still good quality parts), and it cost only $1600! My first impression on this bike remains- its an absolutely brilliant bike. The seat wasn't too good for my shape, so i replaced it with a Serfas ARIA road saddle, which really looks the part on this bike. This is my first road bike, so maybe i am biassed towards it, but it's an excellent buy, and doesn't push the 10KG mark, even after pedals/pump/drinks-holders etc are attached. It's very responsive, the Ultegra shifters and breaks are flawless (and offer a good range of gear ratios), and the carbon parts really work to dampen the road vibration.
This bike certainly has my seal of approval

hey guys, this is my first time on this thing...reason being is im trying to selll a learsport columbus 9000 road bike..its worth $3299 but someone make me a offer and ill consider it..im goin on holidays and i need the cash..ive only ridden it three times...its only 1 year old...i can send a photo image of it...if anyones interested please email me [email protected]

hey guys, i bought a Learsport 7700 about 5 or 6 years ago now, cant remember when exactly, picked it up for $820 which i saw as a bargain, came with full shimano tiagra (including freewheel and bearings which the equivalent giants at the time didn't) and it was significantly cheaper then the equivalent Giant. the frame is cheap aluminium, with ugly, but strong welds, this is the only detractor from the bike, it still runs smooth after all these years of pretty harsh treatment on my part. the bike is comfortable, a very smooth ride and gear change, ive had no problems with it that weren't my own fault and the whole bike was cheaper then buying the shimano tiagra groupset from any bike store we went to. i no many people don't like the learsports, but for the money, you can't beat them, and even on an $820 bike you can beat people on their $8000 specialized
:)

hi guys,
i own a learsport 8500, first time rider on road bike, this is my test bike as i am going for a much more expensive bike in a short future.
the more i ride this learsport, the more i like it, the only thing i dont like is the paint job, it looks sucks and cheapy. over all not a bad bike at all. infact its excellent price tag for the quality. mine is equipted with shimano 105 group set, and they work perfectly fine.
i have tried many other brands bikes ie: Giant, Merida, trek ,ete. their low ends ones are not much of the quality but too much diff in price. so i still stick around with my Lear 8500 for a lot longer i think before i upgrade it to a higher end bike.