Learsport Road Bikes

milker

Apr 19, 2004
I am considering buying a Learsport Road bike because they seem to be very good value. Does anyone know anything about the quality of these bikes?

Originally posted by milker
I am considering buying a Learsport Road bike because they seem to be very good value. Does anyone know anything about the quality of these bikes?

I had a test ride on the 9000 (with Dura Ace) and 8500 (Ultegra) recently. The 9000 was very light but the frame did not inspire me as the Altec 2 tubing seemed too thin and I was concerned at longevity. The 8500, a little heavier, had better road feel. All in all, some great components on their bikes, if you dont mind having Made In Taiwan displayed prominently on the bike!

BTW, I didnt buy either bike, the search continues.

Originally posted by milker

I bought the 8000S and have just racked up the first 1000k's. no problems or complaints. I also upgraded the pedals to shimano. very happy with it.

I have just taken another look at the website, yes they offer a lot for the $.

Can you tell me the frame size you have and the horizontal center-centre measurement from the steering stem to the seat post. It is difficult to get this accurately from diagrams on some compact frames, better to measure one with a tape.

Also which wheels did you choose.

cheers
George

I have a learsport 8000. Have done over 2000Km in Austalia, Africa (bike covered in dust after each ride), & Ireland (winter bike covered in crud after most rides) on it.

Must have cleaned it god knows how many times. But that's the secret to keeping thing in good shape.

Have had no problems with it & as you can see it's been through alot in terms of extremes of climate & a few crashes & some pretty rough roads & I don't just cruise on it.

The only issue I have is that the bolts on the head stem & seat post have rusted a bit but they are Ritchey Comp so no reflection on the Learsport parts.

Infact the bolts that have no rust whatsoever are the ones for the bottle cages.

The Frame is still in perfect nick re paintwork. Apart from rubbing gear cables and a few scratches.

The 105 groupset has performed flawlessly not even needed any adjustment of gear cables after initial adjustment. Never missed a gear even on chainring.
Chain has never come off chainrings.

The Alex 2002 rims have never gone out of true. The Maxxis tyres are still hanging in there after 2000km & only 2 punctues (I use tyre liners though).

No rattles or squeaks from steerer.

I find the saddle pretty comfortable but saddles are a personal thing.

Even the Welgo pedals are fine. Use a bit of chain lube to smooth out unclipping as my cleat get covered in crud in Ireland.

So I think it's pretty awsome for the money.