Votes: 43 30.9%
  • Jaun Antonio Fleche

Votes: 15 10.8%
  • Someone else

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters
Originally posted by donhix1
Maybe that is why he went back to Telekom (T-mobile)?:cool:

I'll bet you're right about that. Maybe they'll provide better information support services. That would help. I doubt they'll be worse.

Davide Rebellin - He's a rider whos always just followed other riders and never done anything on his own. This year he has won two WC races and one classic, but he's still just boring rider who only follows other riders who are making the race. I don't know but I think someone has told him this spring that when there's 100m to the finish line he should sprint.

Originally posted by holli
Davide Rebellin - He's a rider whos always just followed other riders and never done anything on his own. This year he has won two WC races and one classic, but he's still just boring rider who only follows other riders who are making the race. I don't know but I think someone has told him this spring that when there's 100m to the finish line he should sprint.

I agree!

Boogerd could could do with following the same advice :)

cheers

You both realise that Rebellin has just one three races in one week.

I didn't see him wheelsucking - ok maybe in the final kilometre - but you need to have ability to be there at the shakeup.

How many times did Rebellin attack in those three races? Did he show any signs (except on final 100m of each race) of a great rider? How many times Boogerd and Vinokourov attacked in those races?

Fact is that many other riders made those races and Rebellin just followed wheels. Maybe it's tactic but I don't want to see that kind of racing.

Originally posted by holli
How many times did Rebellin attack in those three races? Did he show any signs (except on final 100m of each race) of a great rider? How many times Boogerd and Vinokourov attacked in those races?

Fact is that many other riders made those races and Rebellin just followed wheels. Maybe it's tactic but I don't want to see that kind of racing.

Ahh, its called tactics. Don’t bash the guy because he outsmarted everyone else in three straight races. He made every break that mattered and chased down Venokourov when it mattered. As for Boogard, he jumped too soon and paid the price.

I think those who are having a go at Rebellin are being slightly unfair to the man.
OK, he's not the most exciting rider in the peleton but the races that he has won are tough, tough races.
To be able to outsprint your opponent after 230+ kilometres is
a sign of class.

I would have thought that the likes of Virenque would have merited more anatagonism that poor old Rebellin !

Honestly...how can you bash the guy for being smart. He waits for right moves, covers attacks, and makes the right effort the right time. He also does all of this without the help of a super-strong team. I didn't see too many Gerolsteiner guys helping him.

If anyone should be bashed it should Boogard for making the same exact mistake in two consecutive races.

Originally posted by Moser
Ahh, its called tactics. Don’t bash the guy because he outsmarted everyone else in three straight races. He made every break that mattered and chased down Venokourov when it mattered. As for Boogard, he jumped too soon and paid the price.

Originally posted by Moser

I agree.
Cycling is based on tactics. It's not just the physical competition between riders. Most of the time it is one rider trying to outwit the others. And obviously if Rebellin knew that he could win without attacking until the last moment, he would not attack as long as he clearly had the advantage over the other riders.

rebellin knows how to win races, he is smart. there is nothing wrong with that.
he gets my respect

McEwen sure knows how to whinge. He's constantly screaming for the attention and blaming something or someone else for any bad moves he makes. There are loads of up and coming Aussie riders who will soon blow him away - and he probably knows it.

Mart said:
McEwen sure knows how to whinge. He's constantly screaming for the attention and blaming something or someone else for any bad moves he makes. There are loads of up and coming Aussie riders who will soon blow him away - and he probably knows it.

Meanwhile, he at least gets up the mountains (exit Cippolini and Petacchi), he doesn't throw his bike away because things aren't going his way (Mayo), he doesn't complain if the peloton continues while he has a **** (Armstrong) and, after doing the hard yards (thanks for coming Zabel) he's always near the front. Maybe his complaints are legitimate. :cool:

mitosis said:
Meanwhile, he at least gets up the mountains (exit Cippolini and Petacchi), he doesn't throw his bike away because things aren't going his way (Mayo), he doesn't complain if the peloton continues while he has a **** (Armstrong) and, after doing the hard yards (thanks for coming Zabel) he's always near the front. Maybe his complaints are legitimate. :cool:
He's a sprinter he is suppose to be a little tempramental.

BugMan said:
Even the ever-tactful Phil Liggett, when he saw Mayo and Zubeldia jump around Ullrich close to the finish, said something like, "well, the Euskatel boys have gone and pulled the dirty on Ullrich". If Phil thinks it's dirty then...

And then this year when Mayo crashed and so many people whined about USPS not waiting. Well nobody waited for him and since you mentioned Phil I think even last year after Euskatel sucked on Jan's wheel he and Paul warned about not burning bridges. This year I when Mayo crashed I doubt Jan was going to be the one to try and slow every one down to let Mayo catch up.

Ivan Basso is about as boring as they come. No professional wins until Lance gave him a stage, Basso is a quintessential wheel-sucker. The look of total shock on his face when he won at La Mongie belies the complacency and uninspiring mentality of racing for second place.

derKaiser said:
Ivan Basso is about as boring as they come. No professional wins until Lance gave him a stage, Basso is a quintessential wheel-sucker. The look of total shock on his face when he won at La Mongie belies the complacency and uninspiring mentality of racing for second place.

Didn't you see the quote from LA: 'no gifts'. Basso won.

Yeah, I saw the quote. But the policy was "no gifts" after that stage. Lance didn't even sprint for the line.

mitosis said:
Didn't you see the quote from LA: 'no gifts'. Basso won.

derKaiser said:
Yeah, I saw the quote. But the policy was "no gifts" after that stage. Lance didn't even sprint for the line.

Lance was only interested in putting in as much time between him and Ulrich. He didn't save anything extra for the sprint. He was asked if he could have won that race if the Tour was depending on it and he said that he really didn't know. Basso was going for his first Tour stage win so he had alot of motivation to win.

Entertaining thread! Especially given some comments about Millar!

>>>>Why should any one mention David Millar as one of the most disliked rider?

After the series of sad events happening to pro cyclists, we should appreciate the wisdom of David Millar, his wisdom and courage of saying no when things are not going the right way, when pro cyclists are not treated the way they should be treated.

Afterall he comes from HongKong, a small place but with a lot of people, people with the highest average IQ in the world according to a recent study from Europe.

It would be difficult to expect a wise man to accept everything unfair or inappropriate without whining.<<<<<

This reply gave me a chuckle :) Hindsight huh :p

ps: Simoni has to stack up as one of the least favourite riders after seemingly not learning his lesson from 2003 and being a whining baby about 'never coming back to this tour' half way through this years TDF.

Virenque must feature too - a cheat who isnt even that great (by classic climbing standards) a climber holding the record for KoM wins must irritate everyone in cycling.