leather handlebar covers

stevebaby

Jun 22, 2004
Not the $80 Brooks leather bartape, the stitched-on kind that Bianchi used to offer on some of their bikes.
Does anyone know where to get them(preferably in Oz), or is there a pattern somewhere for making them?

stevebaby said:
Not the $80 Brooks leather bartape, the stitched-on kind that Bianchi used to offer on some of their bikes.
Does anyone know where to get them(preferably in Oz), or is there a pattern somewhere for making them?
Based on the old "Rhode Gear" leather cover, there is NO pattern, per se, except for the holes ...

The leather is two strips (one for each side), rectangularly cut (i.e., right angles) of "buckskin" (specifically, the Rhode Gear wrap; but, I suppose any leather will do -- e.g., upholstery OR garment leather) which are as wide as the circumference of the handlebar that is being wrapped ...

The strips are pre-punched ... SOAKED IN WATER to soften (the leather will swell) ... laced onto the handlebars with the brake lever clamp in place using "linen" thread beginning near the center ...

Use TWO needles (like lacing your shoes) ... allow to dry -- it is shrink to fit.

NB. To state the obvious, the one edge that is "in the middle" of the handlebar should be "clean" as that will be visible ... the excess at the other end is tucked into the handlebar -- the ONLY edge that isn't visible is the one that is tucked into the handlebars.

ALSO, the leather should not be significantly thicker than difference in the thickness of the center section of a Cinelli handlebar ... so, it will be fairly thin.

Thanks Classic and Alf....great info. Classic's pic is exactly the type of thingie I'm looking for (only brand new).
I found a US site (Velo-Orange.com) which specializes in touring/randonneur gear and has Elkskin handlebar covers. I don't mind supporting a niche business without regard to their nationality, but I draw the line at paying the exorbitant postal charges demanded by United Seppo Postal "Service".I may have to though. :eek: