Leave Yamika on roof all winter?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Joel Roth, Oct 27, 2003.

  1. Joel Roth

    Joel Roth Guest

    Do you leave your Yakima towers on your roof during the wintertime (Chicago style winter)? I'm
    planning to remove the bike mounts, but I'm wondering if people tend to leave the towers on the roof
    when they are not being used, or whether it's recommended to take everything off, and re-install in
    the spring.

    thanks.

    joel

    Tags:

  2. On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 11:00:25 +0000, joel roth wrote:

    > Do you leave your Yakima towers on your roof during the wintertime (Chicago style winter)? I'm
    > planning to remove the bike mounts, but I'm wondering if people tend to leave the towers on the
    > roof when they are not being used, or whether it's recommended to take everything off, and
    > re-install in the spring.

    I use mine from time to time in the winter, so leave it on. It's about 4 years old or so now, on its
    third car (long story). I lube the moving parts from time to time, and that seems to be OK. Of
    course, SE Pennsylvania is not Chicago, but we do have a lot of salt and ice. If you aren't going to
    use it all winter, there is no reason not to take it off and re-install next year.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front _`\(,_ | of enough
    typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of (_)/ (_) | them would reproduce the
    collected works of Shakespeare. The internet has proven this not to be the case.

  3. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    news:p[email protected]...

    > On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 11:00:25 +0000, joel roth wrote:
    >
    > > Do you leave your Yakima towers on your roof during the wintertime (Chicago style winter)? I'm
    > > planning to remove the bike mounts, but I'm wondering if people tend to leave the towers on the
    > > roof when they are not being used, or whether it's recommended to take everything off, and
    > > re-install in the spring.
    >
    > I use mine from time to time in the winter, so leave it on. It's about 4 years old or so now, on
    > its third car (long story). I lube the moving parts from time to time, and that seems to be OK. Of
    > course, SE Pennsylvania is not Chicago, but we do have a lot of salt and ice. If you aren't going
    > to use it all winter, there is no reason not to take it off and re-install next year.

    I'd worry about having them stolen. In southern CA, I wouldn't dare leave my Thules on the car
    overnight, unless it was in the garage. And that was in a "good" neighborhood.

    Matt O.

  4. joel roth <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Do you leave your Yakima towers on your roof during the wintertime (Chicago style winter)? I'm
    > planning to remove the bike mounts, but I'm wondering if people tend to leave the towers on the
    > roof when they are not being used, or whether it's recommended to take everything off, and
    > re-install in the spring.
    >
    > thanks.
    >
    > joel

    I leave mine on year round and have done so since 1994. Of course, I have ski mounts as well as bike
    mounts attached to mine so they actually get used all year. I remove them once a year to wax the
    roof of my car.

    Kelly (in Denver CO)

  5. On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 21:04:51 GMT, "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'd worry about having them stolen. In southern CA, I wouldn't dare leave my Thules on the car
    >overnight, unless it was in the garage. And that was in a "good" neighborhood.
    >
    >Matt O.

    Wow!

    My Yak 4-bike setup's been on my roof for three continuous years, including several forays into NYC
    and Boston.

    Do you guys install these things with locks?

    Barry

  6. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 21:04:51 GMT, "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >I'd worry about having them stolen. In southern CA, I wouldn't dare leave my Thules on the car
    > >overnight, unless it was in the garage. And that was in a "good" neighborhood.

    > Wow!
    >
    > My Yak 4-bike setup's been on my roof for three continuous years, including several forays into
    > NYC and Boston.
    >
    > Do you guys install these things with locks?

    Thule locks are worthless. All they do is lock the plastic adjuster knob, which can be torn right
    off. This leaves the hex head clamping bolt, which can then be removed with a wrench or pliers.
    There's a huge market for stolen racks in The Recycler newspaper/website, and probably eBay too. I
    see plenty of Yakima stuff for sale too, and not in Yuppie neighborhoods...

    It only takes a minute (literally) to remove or install Thule racks anyway. So why leave them on?
    Alternately, you can replace the bolts with security bolts, from Grainger or whatever.

    Matt O.

  7. On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 15:17:34 GMT, "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I keep reading this thread title as "Leave Yamuka on roof all winter" -- like you'd wear a kippah
    >on your head.

    I thought he was talking about one of those things that covers the top of a Porsche or similar car
    -- hooks on to the side mirrors.

    That is called a Carmulka.