leavening one batch of bread with a "chef" from another

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Zxcvbob, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    I'm baking whole wheat bread today. It just started its
    second rise.

    I'm out of bulk yeast and used a packet that I found in
    the fridge. It was a couple of years old, but it is rising
    very well.

    If I save a ping-pong ball sized piece of the dough, will
    that have enough yeast in it to leaven a batch of pizza
    dough tonight?

    Best regards, Bob

    Tags:

  2. Reg

    Reg Guest

    zxcvbob wrote:

    > If I save a ping-pong ball sized piece of the dough, will
    > that have enough yeast in it to leaven a batch of pizza
    > dough tonight?

    It won't contain enough yeast to fully leaven it. The method
    you're describing is more to improve texture and flavor.
    You'll need to add more yeast.

    --
    Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot)
    com

  3. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >zxcvbob wrote:
    >
    >> If I save a ping-pong ball sized piece of the dough, will
    >> that have enough yeast in it to leaven a batch of pizza
    >> dough tonight?

    Chop your dough ball into bits and stir into a 4 cup bowl to
    which you've placed a cupful of warm water, to which you've
    stirred in a tablespoonful of sugar and three tablespoons of
    flour... cover with a clean cloth and place in a warm
    spot... after about an hour or two you should have a nice
    sponge containing enough yeast for a couple of pizzas. Of
    course I've no idea how long off your "tonight" is but I
    know I'd be eating pizza in about six hours... wouldn't be
    the ideal pizza crust, but decently edible... and then you
    may be pleasantly surprised. Anyway, you got somewhere
    better to put that ball of dough.

    So where did that ball of dough come from... next time
    you're low on yeast and want to bake more than your
    available yeast can handle, first make up a sponge.

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  4. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    PENMART01 wrote:
    >>zxcvbob wrote:
    >>

    >>>If I save a ping-pong ball sized piece of the dough, will
    >>>that have enough yeast in it to leaven a batch of pizza
    >>>dough tonight?
    >

    > Chop your dough ball into bits and stir into a 4 cup bowl
    > to which you've placed a cupful of warm water, to which
    > you've stirred in a tablespoonful of sugar and three
    > tablespoons of flour... cover with a clean cloth and place
    > in a warm spot... after about an hour or two you should
    > have a nice sponge containing enough yeast for a couple of
    > pizzas. Of course I've no idea how long off your "tonight"
    > is but I know I'd be eating pizza in about six hours...
    > wouldn't be the ideal pizza crust, but decently edible...
    > and then you may be pleasantly surprised. Anyway, you got
    > somewhere better to put that ball of dough.
    >
    > So where did that ball of dough come from... next time
    > you're low on yeast and want to bake more than your
    > available yeast can handle, first make up a sponge.

    I pinched it from a batch of whole wheat bread that I'm
    making before I formed the loaf. I have another packet of
    yeast, but I want to experiment.

    I chopped little ball of dough up and dissolved it in a cup
    of warm water. Added the 2 cups of bread flour, heaping 1/2
    tsp of salt, and about 2 Tbsp olive oil. Kneaded for about 5
    minutes in the Kitchenaid. I can't tell if it's gonna rise
    or not yet. I probably should have given it a little
    molasses so the yeast wouldn't have to work so hard.

    -Bob

  5. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    zxcvbob wrote:
    > PENMART01 wrote:
    >> [snip]
    >>
    >> So where did that ball of dough come from... next time
    >> you're low on yeast and want to bake more than your
    >> available yeast can handle, first make up a sponge.
    >>

    > I pinched it from a batch of whole wheat bread that I'm
    > making before I formed the loaf. I have another packet of
    > yeast, but I want to experiment.
    >
    > I chopped little ball of dough up and dissolved it in a
    > cup of warm water. Added the 2 cups of bread flour,
    > heaping 1/2 tsp of salt, and about 2 Tbsp olive oil.
    > Kneaded for about 5 minutes in the Kitchenaid. I can't
    > tell if it's gonna rise or not yet. I probably should have
    > given it a little molasses so the yeast wouldn't have to
    > work so hard.
    >
    > -Bob

    The dough rose nicely, eventually. It took a few hours for
    the yeast to reproduce enough rise the dough. It's ready to
    bake right now but I think I'll punch it down and
    refrigerate it and bake it tomorrow.

    Best regards, Bob

  6. Bob

    Bob Guest

    zxcvbob wrote:

    > I'm baking whole wheat bread today. It just started its
    > second rise.
    >
    > I'm out of bulk yeast and used a packet that I found in
    > the fridge. It was a couple of years old, but it is rising
    > very well.
    >
    > If I save a ping-pong ball sized piece of the dough, will
    > that have enough yeast in it to leaven a batch of pizza
    > dough tonight?

    Sure it will - with a little help. You'll want to feed it so
    the yeast grows. I'd mix it with an equal volume of warm
    water (110F), some sugar or malt, a handful of flour and a
    small pinch of salt. A dash of oil wouldn't hurt.

    If using the entire thing, factor the liquid volume in your
    calculations for the pizza dough. Subtract it from how much
    you'd use normally and just add the difference when making
    the final dough. Should work fine.

    Or treat it like a sponge and just use some of it in the
    normal sponge-leavened fashion.

    Pastorio