Leaving base camp unattended

Chris Malcolm

Guest
What's the risks of leaving a base camp unattended while you wander off with a daysack (in
Scotland)? With base camp in a camping site? Wild camping?

[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Chris Malcolm wrote:

> What's the risks of leaving a base camp unattended while you wander off with a daysack (in
> Scotland)? With base camp in a camping site? Wild camping?

I can only speak for myself but I've camped wild throughout Wales regularly for the last 20 years,
usually going off walking from base camp and everything has always been exactly as I left it when I
returned. Never had a problem.

Mind you, I usually make a point of camping well away from popular footpaths, although I once
camped on Snowdon right next to the Watkin path and have done so on a few other occasions and still
had no problems.

I think the main risk from criminals is road based. Most walkers seem to be honest folk and most
criminals are unlikely are unlikely to wander for miles around the hills looking for isolated tents
to steal from, there are much richer pickings to be had from car parks and camp sites, with a quick
getaway option with their car.

As for distance from roads, the further the better, but I've often camped quite close to roads in
locations that are well out of sight and off the beaten track, so no-one is likely to suspect
there'd be anything there.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

"Chris Malcolm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What's the risks of leaving a base camp unattended while you wander off with a daysack (in
> Scotland)? With base camp in a camping site? Wild camping?
>
> --
> Chris Malcolm [email protected] +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205 IPAB, Informatics, JCMB,
> King's Buildings, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Almost zero mate - I've done it for years (site and wild) without any problems. One piece of advice
tho - if you think you'll be away for more than 1 night, let someone know. Too many false alarms
resulting in MRT call-outs.

druidh

Chris Malcolm wrote:
> What's the risks of leaving a base camp unattended while you wander off with a daysack (in
> Scotland)? With base camp in a camping site? Wild camping?

If you want actual numbers then you'll have to ask the local polis about their theft reports. Beyond
that, there's campsites and there's campsites, both formal and wild. I've never had anything stolen
yet in Scotland, and I'd be fairly surprised if I did. If you're a scumbag after kit there's more
people with more of it in more readily accessible spots in the Peak and Lakes so they'd be better
targets, but you're never 100% safe anywhere. Same goes for your house, of course...

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Oh and in dry weather in early spring, watch out for muir burns... Remember what happened to Hamish
Brown's stashed tent on Mull.

Unlikely risk, but they do start burning off the heather about now..

As for scumbags, not been hit yet, but away from the roads you will be very very unlucky to have
any bother.

Richard Webb

In message <[email protected]>, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> writes
>Chris Malcolm wrote:
>> What's the risks of leaving a base camp unattended while you wander off with a daysack (in
>> Scotland)? With base camp in a camping site? Wild camping?
>
>If you want actual numbers then you'll have to ask the local polis about their theft reports.
>Beyond that, there's campsites and there's campsites, both formal and wild. I've never had anything
>stolen yet in Scotland, and I'd be fairly surprised if I did. If you're a scumbag after kit there's
>more people with more of it in more readily accessible spots in the Peak and Lakes so they'd be
>better targets, but you're never 100% safe anywhere. Same goes for your house, of course...

I had gear stolen from a tent pitched near Bridge of Orchy - in March, 1980. I guess it was because
I was camped within sight of the main road. Since then I've base camped hundreds of times, wild, on
paid campsites and next to roads, without any problems.

When I lived in a city my house was burgled three times while I was away in the hills.

"Chris Townsend" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In message <[email protected]>, Peter Clinch
> <[email protected]> writes
> >Chris Malcolm wrote:
> >> What's the risks of leaving a base camp unattended while you wander off with a daysack (in
> >> Scotland)? With base camp in a camping site? Wild camping?
> >
> >If you want actual numbers then you'll have to ask the local polis about their theft reports.
> >Beyond that, there's campsites and there's campsites, both formal and wild. I've never had
> >anything stolen yet in Scotland, and I'd be fairly surprised if I did. If you're a scumbag after
> >kit there's more people with more of it in more readily accessible spots in the Peak and Lakes so
> >they'd be better targets, but you're never 100% safe anywhere. Same goes for your house, of
> >course...
>
> I had gear stolen from a tent pitched near Bridge of Orchy - in March, 1980. I guess it was
> because I was camped within sight of the main road. Since then I've base camped hundreds of times,
> wild, on paid campsites and next to roads, without any problems.
>
> When I lived in a city my house was burgled three times while I was away in the hills.

Your conclusion being that it's better to take EVERYTHING with you when camping coz it'll be safer?
Excellent - now, who can recommend a 500 litre rucksack :)

druidh

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:57:51 GMT, "druidh"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Your conclusion being that it's better to take EVERYTHING with you when camping coz it'll be safer?
>Excellent - now, who can recommend a 500 litre rucksack :)

I expect Paul's got one for all his camera gear

In message <[email protected]>, Chris Malcolm <[email protected]> writes
>What's the risks of leaving a base camp unattended while you wander off with a daysack (in
>Scotland)? With base camp in a camping site? Wild camping?

I'd say that it is perfectly safe as long as you are really wild camping and away from civilisation.
I tend to put my tent somewhere so out of the way that even I find it difficult to find at the end
of the day - that's the beauty of marking the tent as a waypoint on a GPS.

At this time of year an act of theft by another walker or whatever could constitute attempted murder
in my book.

--
Martin Richardson
216/284 Munros (34/34 'Furths')

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 09:11:37 +0000, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Chris Malcolm wrote:
>> What's the risks of leaving a base camp unattended while you wander off with a daysack (in
>> Scotland)? With base camp in a camping site? Wild camping?
>
>If you want actual numbers then you'll have to ask the local polis about their theft reports.
>Beyond that, there's campsites and there's campsites, both formal and wild. I've never had anything
>stolen yet in Scotland, and I'd be fairly surprised if I did. If you're a scumbag after kit there's
>more people with more of it in more readily accessible spots in the Peak and Lakes so they'd be
>better targets, but you're never 100% safe anywhere. Same goes for your house, of course...

Been done at home twice while on the hill... Not yet lost anything out there...

Richard Webb

In article <[email protected]>,
RJ Webb <[email protected]> writes
>On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 09:11:37 +0000, Peter Clinch
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Chris Malcolm wrote:
>>> What's the risks of leaving a base camp unattended while
>>> you wander off with a daysack (in Scotland)? With base
>>> camp in a camping site? Wild camping?
>>
>>If you want actual numbers then you'll have to ask the
>>local polis about their theft reports. Beyond that,
>>there's campsites and there's campsites, both formal and
>>wild. I've never had anything stolen yet in Scotland, and
>>I'd be fairly surprised if I did. If you're a scumbag
>>after kit there's more people with more of it in more
>>readily accessible spots in the Peak and Lakes so they'd
>>be better targets, but you're never 100% safe anywhere.
>>Same goes for your house, of course...
>
>Been done at home twice while on the hill... Not yet lost
>anything out there...
>
>Richard Webb

Richard I tried to e-mail you bit my post was rejected.
Could you please e-mail me with your e-mail address.

[email protected]

I have some info regarding socks for wearing with
breekes for you.
--
Bill Grey http://www.billboy.co.uk

Take the high road to reply......