Leaving Bike Out in Cold

Andy

Guest
This summer i got myself a very nice RB Genesis Bike, which I love.

Of course the missus does'nt like it as much, and as such I put up a bike rack just outside the
house, protected from the rain by a lean-to type thing.

As winter is coming in, i just wanted to ask it there is going to be any problems with the bike
being outside in below freezing tempretures ? as i say it cant get wet but being my new toy I just
want to make sure!

Any ideas ?

Obvious to me you havnt been married long............

after a time you will wish the ''missus'' was outside on a rack with a ''lean to'' for shelter

just think about it

you can ride your bike , it doesnt answer back, judge you, give you ****, moan, shout or ''try to
get '' hold of the remote, it doesnt object to watchin TDF , and will give you hours of selfish joy
without wantin anything in return

D@vo

the bigger the ring the more it hurts

news:[email protected]...

[email protected] (Andy) writes:

> This summer i got myself a very nice RB Genesis Bike, which I love.
>
> Of course the missus does'nt like it as much, and as such I put up a bike rack just outside the
> house, protected from the rain by a lean-to type thing.

Give your missus a nice shiny new bike of her own. Juliette's insisted on her bikes coming indoors
for the winter, so of course mine have too - and the dining room (which we don't use much) has
metamorphosed into a centrally heated bike shed.

my other car is #<Subr-Car: #5d480> ;; This joke is not funny in emacs.

Andy wrote:
> This summer i got myself a very nice RB Genesis Bike, which I love.
>
> Of course the missus does'nt like it as much, and as such I put up a bike rack just outside the
> house, protected from the rain by a lean-to type thing.
>
> As winter is coming in, i just wanted to ask it there is going to be any problems with the bike
> being outside in below freezing tempretures ? as i say it cant get wet but being my new toy I just
> want to make sure!
>
> Any ideas ?

purchase a wall mounted cycle rack and hang it over the marital bed ?

Albert

Domestic [appliance] Abuse http://homepage.ntlworld.com/albert-fish/index.htm

Albert Fish wrote:

> purchase a wall mounted cycle rack and hang it over the marital bed ?

If she doesn't *completely* warm to Albert's suggestion, note that there are various wall mounts
that keep the bike substantially more out of the way than just leaning it in the hall or corner of a
room, and these might not be as bad as SWMBO is envisaging.

Beyond that, stowing it outside shouldn't be a *big* problem: you can ride them through mud and rain
okay, after all. Most of the problem with winter for degrading bikes IME comes from the salt and
cack on the roads, but that shouldn't be a worry unless the council grit your garden path... Just
remember to put a carrier bag over the saddle so you don't get a wet bum, and make *very* sure it's
secure, and then some.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

> Doesn't everybody have bikes in the house??? :-Þ It's the norm around
these
> here parts! Indeed, Luigi is currently residing in the library and Nathan
has a
> bike in his bedroom. The rest of the bikes are in the garage though...
Have had
> three bikes at a time in the office... and a bike in the living room...

On occasion we've had six bikes in our house. Thankfully on a normal night there's only four. We
keep them in the house to stop thm getting vandalised or stolen, so it was quite ironic when a
burglar broke in and threw my bike across the hallway when he made his escape, and caused thirty
pounds of damage to it. The heap of rust unlocked in the back garden was untouched. grrr.

"Andy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> This summer i got myself a very nice RB Genesis Bike, which I love.
>
> Of course the missus does'nt like it as much, and as such I put up a bike rack just outside the
> house, protected from the rain by a lean-to type thing.
>
> As winter is coming in, i just wanted to ask it there is going to be any problems with the bike
> being outside in below freezing tempretures ? as i say it cant get wet but being my new toy I just
> want to make sure!
>
> Any ideas ?

Suggest that you might have to buy a car unless your bike can come out of the cold. She may well see
that £2000 a year on a car translates into £2000 less in sofas and stuff.

John

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Doesn't everybody have bikes in the house??? :-Þ It's the norm around
these
> here parts! Indeed, Luigi is currently residing in the library and Nathan
has a
> bike in his bedroom. The rest of the bikes are in the garage though...
Have had
> three bikes at a time in the office... and a bike in the living room...

both my MTB and the Dawes Horizon are in the front corridor behind a very robust door. I will
certainly not trust them to the garage or outbuilding with the amount of bike-thieving heroin/crack
addicted scrotes round here....

in most of my friends houses there is at least one machine in the building if not more. we were
planning a party once and one of the issues was setting aside a room to store both residents and
guests bikes....

I have actually been to raves in buildings where people have brought in their bikes and danced
around the LED flashers (makes a change from handbags I suppose)

Alex

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 18:45:35 -0000, "Mark Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Doesn't everybody have bikes in the house??? :-Þ It's the norm around
>these
>> here parts! Indeed, Luigi is currently residing in the library and Nathan
>has a
>> bike in his bedroom. The rest of the bikes are in the garage though...
>Have had
>> three bikes at a time in the office... and a bike in the living room...
>
>On occasion we've had six bikes in our house.

When we all lived at home (four racing cyclists, two recreational) guess how many bikes we once
counted in the house (including loft)

Regards! Stephen

>And the Brompton sits beside my desk at work.

To ride between desk and coffee machine? You truly are a cycling fanatic!

Buy a welsh drier for your bike and hang it from ceiling.

(Now where is that link. Any help much appreicated)

Gadget

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Doesn't everybody have bikes in the house??? :-Þ It's the norm around
these
> here parts!

What is normal in Norfolk is often a bit strange elsewhere.

While we may think it perfectly normal I am constantly amazed how many 'ordinary people' think it is
'very strange'.

They seem to think it 'even stranger' that I keep my MTB hoisted up to the ceiling -- without pedals
with my 'old git' bike (as a 'friend' described my beloved Galaxy) sits quietly leant against the
wall below. (Its a small Victorian terraced house & while useful as coat hooks, pedals sit at about
head height and attack the unwary!!)

But the real killer is the number who ask why I have three different bikes in the house (I live
alone) -- the concept of the right tool for a given job going completely over their head. It they
only knew about the small colony in the shed :~o

Now't as queer as folk!!

Mr R@t (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2] wrote:

> I have actually been to raves in buildings where people have brought in their bikes and danced
> around the LED flashers (makes a change from handbags I suppose)

I have a chum who lives in a rural part of Jockland, remote enough that his nearest drinking
establishment is the local shooting club. And it's quicker and easier to get there by riding an ATB
across the fields than it is to go via the road. One winter eventide, Hairy McSandy rode over to the
club and, not wishing his bicycle to become buried by the threatened snow, paked the bike in a
corner of the bar.

All was well until another group decided to liven the evening up by holding impromptu time trials
around the pool table. A Several of upended Scotsmen later, Sandy was requested to remove his
bicycle from the premises: "Sorry, Sir, you can stay but I'm afraid your bicycle is barred..."

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

I am appalled by the number of fellow urc-ers who are prepared to condone this wanton act of cruelty
to a poor defenceless bike.

--
Guy
===

dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers <[email protected]> wrote:

> Doesn't everybody have bikes in the house???

Three bikes in the living room (about which I can't really complain, since two of them are mine :))
plus a trike and a trike frame.

Another trike currently in the hall, but that doesn't count as it belongs to a customer, and anyway
Himself hasn't built it yet :)

Himself has plans for a shed in the back garden, whence bikes will eventually be banished, but I'm
not holding my breath....

--
Carol Hague "...it's not normal if you don't like cake..." - Sean Yates

In article <1g4f733.1h9pdyhlu02qiN%[email protected]>, Carol Hague wrote:
> Himself has plans for a shed in the back garden, whence bikes will eventually be banished, but I'm
> not holding my breath....

I remember plans for extra shelves in the garage. Are those in place, and now full?

- Richard

--
_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ Richard dot Corfield at ntlworld dot com _/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/ _/ _/ Time is a
one way street, _/ _/ _/_/ _/_/_/ Except in the Twighlight Zone.

"Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:NB%[email protected]...
> Buy a welsh drier for your bike and hang it from ceiling.
>
> (Now where is that link. Any help much appreicated)

The Welsh Airer thing was a Sunny Wheel Bike Lift at £24.99 in the Parrot catalogue,
www.parrot-online.com Mike

Richard Corfield <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <1g4f733.1h9pdyhlu02qiN%[email protected]>, Carol Hague wrote:
> > Himself has plans for a shed in the back garden, whence bikes will eventually be banished, but
> > I'm not holding my breath....
>
> I remember plans for extra shelves in the garage. Are those in place, and now full?

The main section of shelving is up and occupied - we've been waiting ages for the second, smaller
section to arrive, and it's currently in the van waiting to be assembled.

The shelving's more a question of freeing up workspace in the garage though - the indoor bikes were
always intended to be housed in a shed eventually.

This weekend's job is replacing the front wheels and brakes on Rob's commuter trike - the old Sachs
brakes (which were good, but you can't get the pads any more, chiz) are being swapped for new Magura
ones. At least it's stopped raining, so he can do most of it outside....

--
Carol Hague "I'm insane. What's *his* excuse?" - Spike, BtVS