LED light on my bicycle

Bill Cotton

Guest
My custom lighting system is on my web site http://www.billcotton.com/lightbar.htm I have thumbnail
links to the steps used to concert a 15 led flashlight from three D cells to three AA cells. I think
that the life will be about one third that of the D cell. I will run a test soon. In the meanwhile
carrying spare rechargeable AA for my GPS is normal. I will try my 2000mAh NMH rechargeable in the
light soon.

I am interested in seeing what and how you made your light. But, your photos are hard to see and there is no explanation. Can you please clarify the process?

Cheers,
Eric

"Bill Cotton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My custom lighting system is on my web site http://www.billcotton.com/lightbar.htm I have
> thumbnail links to the steps used to concert a 15 led flashlight from three D cells to three AA
> cells. I think that the life will be about one third that of the D cell. I will run a test soon.
> In the meanwhile carrying spare rechargeable AA for my GPS is normal. I will try my 2000mAh NMH
> rechargeable in the light soon.

Bill,

That's pretty cool.

I only have one question about your price list.

20 watt halogen sealbeam $8.00 Cable to serve as socket $3.00 3 inches of 1 inch PVC $ pennies 1
inches of 3/4 inch PVC $ pennies 1 3/4 PVC TEE $1.00 1 1/4 carriage bolt and wing nut $1.00

How much does this big yellow thing cost? http://www.billcotton.com/LED%20light%202.jpg

a.

"andrew smith" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I only have one question about your price list.
>
> 20 watt halogen sealbeam $8.00 Cable to serve as socket $3.00 3 inches of 1 inch PVC $ pennies 1
> inches of 3/4 inch PVC $ pennies 1 3/4 PVC TEE $1.00 1 1/4 carriage bolt and wing nut $1.00
>
> How much does this big yellow thing cost? http://www.billcotton.com/LED%20light%202.jpg

Everybody who's anybody already has one of those. Or a few. Or they can just use the one
at work! ;^)

My CNC vertical mill comes in pretty handy, too.

Chalo Colina

> How much does this big yellow thing cost? http://www.billcotton.com/LED%20light%202.jpg

1500 dollars http://www.billcotton.com/homeshop.htm Oh that, well about 8 years I was going to buy
an independent coasting pedaling system for our tandem bicycle. Vision only sold to dealers and my
LBS was to sell it to me for 500 dollars. One of the mechanic mention that it in not more than two
BMX free wheeler. Look for an excused to get back into my trade as a machinist without working, I
reason that a 15 hundred dollars investment was wise to make an item that was to cost me 5 hundred
dollars. Measuring and machining bolt circles to mount the chain rings was worth about 2 grand.
http://www.billcotton.com/project.htm Since then I have made and repaired so many household goods,
for example, rewinding string trimmer is a regular task on the lathe. The tandem showing the
independent coasting system

Eric St. Mary <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I am interested in seeing what and how you made your light. But, your photos are hard to see and
> there is no explanation. Can you please clarify the process?
>
> Cheers, Eric
The steps below can be reached by following the link to LED flashlight mount. Two machining steps
need a lathe to turn the 1/2 PVC outside to fit inside the 3/4 PVC. Also inside of the EL has to be
machined to fit the cut off flashlight to fit. I started this project with a completed 15 LED 13
inches long metal fhashlight.
==
I machined PVC pipe and fitting and the ID of the 1-inch EL to fit the OD of the flashlight. The
battery tube is ½ schedule 40 pvc the OD was turned to fit inside ¾ schedule 40 pvc. This piece fits
inside the ¾ inch end of the 1-inch to ¾ inch EL.

There is enough space along side the batteries in the battery tube to slide a strip of brass
along side the batteries. A ¼ inch wide piece of pvc is glued to the open end; the other end is
tapped for a
3/8-pipe plug. A spring is made that is cone shaped. A wire is soldered to it and pull past the ¼
inch bar so that the spring rests on the bar.

A piece of heat shrink tubing is places on the strip of brass near the end that passes the spring.
The other end is long enough to bend over the positive cap of the battery, but not touch the
opposite wall. A wire is soldered below the heat shrink.

The flashlight is cut below the switch; I cut at the top of the grip material. The positive wire is
soldered to the center tap on the flashlight. The other wire is passed through a hole in the large
section of the EL below the machine area.

The wire was long enough, now the flashlight is put in the EL. Drill and tap nears the edge so that
the tap goes through both. Put a screw in the hole; wrap the wire around the screw so that a ground
is made with the case on the flashlight.

"Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "andrew smith" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I only have one question about your price list.
> >
> > 20 watt halogen sealbeam $8.00 Cable to serve as socket $3.00 3 inches of 1 inch PVC $ pennies 1
> > inches of 3/4 inch PVC $ pennies 1 3/4 PVC TEE $1.00 1 1/4 carriage bolt and wing nut $1.00
> >
> > How much does this big yellow thing cost? http://www.billcotton.com/LED%20light%202.jpg
>
> Everybody who's anybody already has one of those. Or a few. Or they can just use the one at
> work! ;^)
>
> My CNC vertical mill comes in pretty handy, too.

I'm just a poor nobody.

Sometimes, I wish I had been a machinist. What a very, very cool career.

a.

"Bill Cotton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > How much does this big yellow thing cost? http://www.billcotton.com/LED%20light%202.jpg
> >
> 1500 dollars http://www.billcotton.com/homeshop.htm Oh that, well about 8 years I was going to buy
> an independent coasting pedaling system for our tandem bicycle. Vision only sold to dealers and my
> LBS was to sell it to me for 500 dollars. One of the mechanic mention that it in not more than two
> BMX free wheeler. Look for an excused to get back into my trade as a machinist without working, I
> reason that a 15 hundred dollars investment was wise to make an item that was to cost me 5 hundred
> dollars. Measuring and machining bolt circles to mount the chain rings was worth about 2 grand.
> http://www.billcotton.com/project.htm Since then I have made and repaired so many household goods,
> for example, rewinding string trimmer is a regular task on the lathe. The tandem showing the
> independent coasting system

That's pretty cool. I went to the shopstack page and saw what it really looks like.

It looks like a shopsmith on steroids.

a.

> That's pretty cool. I went to the shopstack page and saw what it really looks like.
>
> It looks like a shopsmith on steroids.

If space is a concern, the 3 in 1 are the way to go. The latest models has a track for the mill head
that allows greater and less distances between the quill and work table.