LED lights again

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ben, Feb 13, 2004.

  1. Ben

    Ben Guest

    I had one of the cheap halfords 6V rechargeable front lights until I dropped it on the ground and it
    smashed to pieces. Having a 3W bulb it was quite good for being seen. I'm tempted to replace it with
    an LED front light, but I've been looking at the cateye 5 LED jobby (EL300) and it doesn't seem to
    put out any useful light outside of the main beam, so no good for being seen. The 3 LED one (EL200)
    seemed much brighter off-beam and looked quite visible. Seen as how my old halogen light has now
    gone to silicon heaven and is quite beyond any comparison tests, can some kind soul tell me whether
    the EL200 is as bright as a 3W halogen light off-beam, or would I be better off just getting the
    same again.

    Thanks Ben

    Tags:

  2. davebee

    davebee New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2004
    I really like my cateye El-200 its not as bulky as the EL-300 and is ten quid cheaper. Iw ould quite like a set of 35w vistalites, lumicycles or cateyes to go upfront though....

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:tccXb.4095$Y%[email protected]...
    > I had one of the cheap halfords 6V rechargeable front lights until I dropped it on the ground and
    > it smashed to pieces. Having a 3W bulb it was quite good for being seen. I'm tempted to replace it
    > with an LED front light, but I've been looking at the cateye 5 LED jobby (EL300) and it doesn't
    > seem to put out any useful light outside of the main beam, so no good for being seen. The 3 LED
    > one (EL200) seemed much brighter off-beam and looked quite visible. Seen as how my old halogen
    > light has now gone to silicon heaven and is quite beyond any comparison tests, can some kind soul
    > tell me whether the EL200 is as bright as a 3W halogen light off-beam, or would I be better off
    > just getting the same again.

    I have that one but the one I prefer - because its smaller, lighter, brighter and cheaper is the
    SMART Polaris available from Wiggle amongst others (look under front lights)

    Tony

  4. davek

    davek New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2004
    I also have an EL200 and it seems to be fine for being seen.

    No good for seeing though, as I discovered after a recent terrifying experience on an unlit road.

  5. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <tccXb.4095$Y%[email protected]>, Ben <[email protected]> writes
    >I had one of the cheap halfords 6V rechargeable front lights until I dropped it on the ground and
    >it smashed to pieces. Having a 3W bulb it was quite good for being seen. I'm tempted to replace it
    >with an LED front light, but I've been looking at the cateye 5 LED jobby (EL300) and it doesn't
    >seem to put out any useful light outside of the main beam, so no good for being seen. The 3 LED one
    >(EL200) seemed much brighter off-beam and looked quite visible. Seen as how my old halogen light
    >has now gone to silicon heaven and is quite beyond any comparison tests, can some kind soul tell me
    >whether the EL200 is as bright as a 3W halogen light off-beam, or would I be better off just
    >getting the same again.

    I have an EL200, to use mostly as a back/standlight. My dynamo powered font light (3 or 2.4W
    depending on the bike) is much better. The EL200 is ok -ish on beam, but once off beam a bit it is
    nowhere near as bright. I wouldn't be so happy relying on it as an only light (and it is absolutely
    no use to see dark roads
    --
    Chris French, Leeds