LED lights again

Ben

Guest
I had one of the cheap halfords 6V rechargeable front lights until I dropped it on the ground and it
smashed to pieces. Having a 3W bulb it was quite good for being seen. I'm tempted to replace it with
an LED front light, but I've been looking at the cateye 5 LED jobby (EL300) and it doesn't seem to
put out any useful light outside of the main beam, so no good for being seen. The 3 LED one (EL200)
seemed much brighter off-beam and looked quite visible. Seen as how my old halogen light has now
gone to silicon heaven and is quite beyond any comparison tests, can some kind soul tell me whether
the EL200 is as bright as a 3W halogen light off-beam, or would I be better off just getting the
same again.

Thanks Ben

I really like my cateye El-200 its not as bulky as the EL-300 and is ten quid cheaper. Iw ould quite like a set of 35w vistalites, lumicycles or cateyes to go upfront though....

"Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:tccXb.4095$Y%[email protected]...
> I had one of the cheap halfords 6V rechargeable front lights until I dropped it on the ground and
> it smashed to pieces. Having a 3W bulb it was quite good for being seen. I'm tempted to replace it
> with an LED front light, but I've been looking at the cateye 5 LED jobby (EL300) and it doesn't
> seem to put out any useful light outside of the main beam, so no good for being seen. The 3 LED
> one (EL200) seemed much brighter off-beam and looked quite visible. Seen as how my old halogen
> light has now gone to silicon heaven and is quite beyond any comparison tests, can some kind soul
> tell me whether the EL200 is as bright as a 3W halogen light off-beam, or would I be better off
> just getting the same again.

I have that one but the one I prefer - because its smaller, lighter, brighter and cheaper is the
SMART Polaris available from Wiggle amongst others (look under front lights)

Tony

Originally posted by davebee
I really like my cateye El-200 its not as bulky as the EL-300 and is ten quid cheaper. Iw ould quite like a set of 35w vistalites, lumicycles or cateyes to go upfront though....

I also have an EL200 and it seems to be fine for being seen.

No good for seeing though, as I discovered after a recent terrifying experience on an unlit road.

In message <tccXb.4095$Y%[email protected]>, Ben <[email protected]> writes
>I had one of the cheap halfords 6V rechargeable front lights until I dropped it on the ground and
>it smashed to pieces. Having a 3W bulb it was quite good for being seen. I'm tempted to replace it
>with an LED front light, but I've been looking at the cateye 5 LED jobby (EL300) and it doesn't
>seem to put out any useful light outside of the main beam, so no good for being seen. The 3 LED one
>(EL200) seemed much brighter off-beam and looked quite visible. Seen as how my old halogen light
>has now gone to silicon heaven and is quite beyond any comparison tests, can some kind soul tell me
>whether the EL200 is as bright as a 3W halogen light off-beam, or would I be better off just
>getting the same again.

I have an EL200, to use mostly as a back/standlight. My dynamo powered font light (3 or 2.4W
depending on the bike) is much better. The EL200 is ok -ish on beam, but once off beam a bit it is
nowhere near as bright. I wouldn't be so happy relying on it as an only light (and it is absolutely
no use to see dark roads
--
Chris French, Leeds