LED lights and rail trail riding

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Hugh Graham, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Hugh Graham

    Hugh Graham Guest

    Hi All,

    Looking to get a little training time at night on our local rail trial. Any ideas on how well this
    light, or one like it would work on night time rail trail riding. Or is one of the more expensive
    rechargeable light systems a better way to go.

    Thanks for your help,

    Hugh Graham

    Tags:

  2. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Hugh Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Looking to get a little training time at night on our local rail trial.
    Any
    > ideas on how well this light, or one like it would work on night time rail trail riding. Or is one
    > of the more expensive rechargeable light systems
    > better way to go.

    I guess it depends on how fast you ride, how good your night vision is, and therefore how much light
    you'll need. Currently, the Cateye Micro headlights are considered the best of the small,
    alkaline-powered headlights. The new LED models are reportedly not as bright, though they do offer
    much longer runtime. For me, a Micro isn't enough to ride anywhere near training speed. I have a
    Nightsun Sunsport helmet light (5W), that's just about enough, but I'd want even more than that for
    riding hard. YMMV.

    The consensus on the Bikecurrent mailing list is that the LED models are OK as a "be seen" light for
    well lit, in-town riding, but not powerful enough for riding at speed on dark roads.

    Matt O.

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Hugh Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Looking to get a little training time at night on our local rail trial.
    Any
    > ideas on how well this light, or one like it would work on night time rail trail riding. Or is one
    > of the more expensive rechargeable light systems
    > better way to go.

    Assuming that on a rail right-of-way there's no useful ambient light ( streetlights, etc) you'll
    want something in the 12W and up range, roughly $60.

    Could you "make do" with less? Sure, and some riders do. But one easily overruns one's lights at
    normal cycling speeds with those little 2W handlebar lights.

  4. A Muzi wrote:

    > "Hugh Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > Looking to get a little training time at night on our local rail trial.
    > Any
    > > ideas on how well this light, or one like it would work on night time rail trail riding. Or is
    > > one of the more expensive rechargeable light systems
    > > better way to go.
    >
    > Assuming that on a rail right-of-way there's no useful ambient light ( streetlights, etc) you'll
    > want something in the 12W and up range, roughly $60.
    >
    > Could you "make do" with less? Sure, and some riders do. But one easily overruns one's lights at
    > normal cycling speeds with those little 2W handlebar lights.

    I just described, in another thread, using a 4.4 Watt bulb in an old Union headlamp housing. It's
    _easily_ good at 20 mph, for me. Easily! Usually, I'm using just 3 watts, well focused. The only rub
    is, this system isn't available except as a home brew.

    Rail-trails, in my experience, are actually very easy environments for bike lights. No opposing
    glare at all, so night vision is better than it usually is on the roads.

    However, the 2W lights are not bright enough to make me happy, and from what I hear, the five LED
    ones wouldn't do it either.

    --
    Frank Krygowski [email protected]