LED lights and rail trail riding

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hugh Graham

Hi All,

Looking to get a little training time at night on our local rail trial. Any ideas on how well this
light, or one like it would work on night time rail trail riding. Or is one of the more expensive
rechargeable light systems a better way to go.

Thanks for your help,

Hugh Graham

"Hugh Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:yT0T9.266$bB6.311@sccrnsc02...

> Looking to get a little training time at night on our local rail trial.
Any
> ideas on how well this light, or one like it would work on night time rail trail riding. Or is one
> of the more expensive rechargeable light systems
a
> better way to go.

I guess it depends on how fast you ride, how good your night vision is, and therefore how much light
you'll need. Currently, the Cateye Micro headlights are considered the best of the small,
alkaline-powered headlights. The new LED models are reportedly not as bright, though they do offer
much longer runtime. For me, a Micro isn't enough to ride anywhere near training speed. I have a
Nightsun Sunsport helmet light (5W), that's just about enough, but I'd want even more than that for
riding hard. YMMV.

The consensus on the Bikecurrent mailing list is that the LED models are OK as a "be seen" light for
well lit, in-town riding, but not powerful enough for riding at speed on dark roads.

Matt O.

"Hugh Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:yT0T9.266$bB6.311@sccrnsc02...
> Hi All,
>
> Looking to get a little training time at night on our local rail trial.
Any
> ideas on how well this light, or one like it would work on night time rail trail riding. Or is one
> of the more expensive rechargeable light systems
a
> better way to go.

Assuming that on a rail right-of-way there's no useful ambient light ( streetlights, etc) you'll
want something in the 12W and up range, roughly $60.

Could you "make do" with less? Sure, and some riders do. But one easily overruns one's lights at
normal cycling speeds with those little 2W handlebar lights.

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

A Muzi wrote:
>
> "Hugh Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:yT0T9.266$bB6.311@sccrnsc02...
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Looking to get a little training time at night on our local rail trial.
> Any
> > ideas on how well this light, or one like it would work on night time rail trail riding. Or is
> > one of the more expensive rechargeable light systems
> a
> > better way to go.
>
> Assuming that on a rail right-of-way there's no useful ambient light ( streetlights, etc) you'll
> want something in the 12W and up range, roughly $60.
>
> Could you "make do" with less? Sure, and some riders do. But one easily overruns one's lights at
> normal cycling speeds with those little 2W handlebar lights.

I just described, in another thread, using a 4.4 Watt bulb in an old Union headlamp housing. It's
_easily_ good at 20 mph, for me. Easily! Usually, I'm using just 3 watts, well focused. The only rub
is, this system isn't available except as a home brew.

Rail-trails, in my experience, are actually very easy environments for bike lights. No opposing
glare at all, so night vision is better than it usually is on the roads.

However, the 2W lights are not bright enough to make me happy, and from what I hear, the five LED
ones wouldn't do it either.

--
Frank Krygowski [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.