LED lights on ebay

Katharine & Paul

Guest
There seems to be a lot for sale, mainly from sellers based in Hong Kong

One says 7x1W LED in the one unit. (Would this drain batteries very
quickly).

Has anyone bought any of the lights for sale? Are any of them any good???

Paul

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 16 Aug 2006 21:38:03 +1000
Katharine & Paul <[email protected]> wrote:
> There seems to be a lot for sale, mainly from sellers based in Hong Kong
>
> One says 7x1W LED in the one unit. (Would this drain batteries very
> quickly).
>
> Has anyone bought any of the lights for sale? Are any of them any good???

I bought a 5 LED one from a seller no longer trading. It was one of
the small torch shaped ones with a clear ring near the business end.
Cheap, quick delivery, good kit. Heaps of similar ones being sold.

Zebee

Katharine & Paul wrote:
> There seems to be a lot for sale, mainly from sellers based in Hong Kong
>
> One says 7x1W LED in the one unit. (Would this drain batteries very
> quickly).
>
> Has anyone bought any of the lights for sale? Are any of them any good???
>
> Paul

I haven't bought lights from Hong Kong but I have bought a few Lithium -
Ion batterys. They use them for model electric aircraft and electric
helicopters, also got a charger as well. I had to "twist" the pins on
the plugpack to get them to fit an aussie outlet but it works ok. Even
more exciting, tried out my HID light tonight
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1393

A bit on the heavy side but robustly constructed and much brighter than
my twin 5 watt luxeons. (About three times brighter.) US$115 plus
expensive postage.

A fun ride tonight, Banjo demolished his top of the line SRAM
derailluer, (second one this week), I did a perfect swan dive over the
handlebars into soft gravel, Neil had a cluster fall apart and there
were a few wet feet from deep creek crossings.

Friday

Friday wrote:
> Katharine & Paul wrote:
> > There seems to be a lot for sale, mainly from sellers based in Hong Kong
> >
> > One says 7x1W LED in the one unit. (Would this drain batteries very
> > quickly).
> >
> > Has anyone bought any of the lights for sale? Are any of them any good???
> >
> > Paul
> >

> I haven't bought lights from Hong Kong but I have bought a few Lithium -
> Ion batterys. They use them for model electric aircraft and electric
> helicopters, also got a charger as well. I had to "twist" the pins on
> the plugpack to get them to fit an aussie outlet but it works ok. Even
> more exciting, tried out my HID light tonight
> http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1393
>
> A bit on the heavy side but robustly constructed and much brighter than
> my twin 5 watt luxeons. (About three times brighter.) US$115 plus
> expensive postage.
>
> A fun ride tonight, Banjo demolished his top of the line SRAM
> derailluer, (second one this week), I did a perfect swan dive over the
> handlebars into soft gravel, Neil had a cluster fall apart and there
> were a few wet feet from deep creek crossings.

Out of curiosity, was this the fatties at the yarra trails? Would
explain why Neil didn't make it out to help me on a job tonight!

Bleve wrote:
> Friday wrote:
>
>>Katharine & Paul wrote:
>>
>>>There seems to be a lot for sale, mainly from sellers based in Hong Kong
>>>
>>>One says 7x1W LED in the one unit. (Would this drain batteries very
>>>quickly).
>>>
>>>Has anyone bought any of the lights for sale? Are any of them any good???
>>>
>>>Paul
>>>

>>I haven't bought lights from Hong Kong but I have bought a few Lithium -
>>Ion batterys. They use them for model electric aircraft and electric
>>helicopters, also got a charger as well. I had to "twist" the pins on
>>the plugpack to get them to fit an aussie outlet but it works ok. Even
>>more exciting, tried out my HID light tonight
>> http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1393
>>
>>A bit on the heavy side but robustly constructed and much brighter than
>>my twin 5 watt luxeons. (About three times brighter.) US$115 plus
>>expensive postage.
>>
>>A fun ride tonight, Banjo demolished his top of the line SRAM
>>derailluer, (second one this week), I did a perfect swan dive over the
>>handlebars into soft gravel, Neil had a cluster fall apart and there
>>were a few wet feet from deep creek crossings.

> Out of curiosity, was this the fatties at the yarra trails? Would
> explain why Neil didn't make it out to help me on a job tonight!
>

>>Friday

No, different Neil. (WA) Discovered Neils other passion is log chopping.
That makes two log choppers I ride with, the other one (Rob Simms) goes
to the Melbourne show each year to compete.

Friday

Have bought one from Hong Kong. Not happy as mounting is poor and there
is a poor connection within light that leads to intermittent dimming.
Jaycar have similar looking lights, not sure of quality.

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 21:38:03 +1000, Katharine & Paul wrote:

> There seems to be a lot for sale, mainly from sellers based in Hong Kong
>
> One says 7x1W LED in the one unit. (Would this drain batteries very
> quickly).
>
> Has anyone bought any of the lights for sale? Are any of them any good???
>
> Paul

Yes, I bought one from Hong Kong.

They are nice and bright, but the batteries drain quickly (ie ~4-6 hours),
running on 3AAAs. Also, in general, poor build quality.

In aus.bicycle on 16 Aug 2006 15:06:37 -0700
frankv <[email protected]> wrote:
> Have bought one from Hong Kong. Not happy as mounting is poor and there
> is a poor connection within light that leads to intermittent dimming.
> Jaycar have similar looking lights, not sure of quality.

Interesting. Mine's been fine, and the mounting too until the bike and
I had a disagreement about how much of a lip on a driveway it would
tolerate at the angle and speed in question, and the light got jammed
into the kerbing and the mounting broke.

Zebee

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 17 Aug 2006 06:55:43 +0800
M Bison <[email protected]> wrote:
> They are nice and bright, but the batteries drain quickly (ie ~4-6 hours),
> running on 3AAAs. Also, in general, poor build quality.

I must have got a good one!

4 AAAs, been used since I bought it, an hour's ride home so that's 20+
hours it's done....

Zebee

What is the comparison of battery life between the HID and the two 5W
Luxeons?

If you do the maths, the HID (13W) should get 77% of the runtime of the dual luxeons, if using the same battery.

Although it's actually not that simple, as the trailtech HID regulates its battery to 13.8v so as to protect the bulb and improve light output. Which means you'd get a bit less than 77% out of an identical battery.

SomeGuy wrote:
>>What is the comparison of battery life between the HID and the two 5W
>>Luxeons?

> If you do the maths, the HID (13W) should get 77% of the runtime of the
> dual luxeons, if using the same battery.
>
> Although it's actually not that simple, as the trailtech HID regulates
> its battery to 13.8v so as to protect the bulb and improve light
> output. Which means you'd get a bit less than 77% out of an identical
> battery.

In actual fact I got about 3 hours out of a 3.5 amp hour battery and I
switched it off because I'd finished my ride, not because the battery
was flat. Also the li-Ion battery is 11.1 volts not 13.8.
The leds actually draw about 6 watts each so it's pretty close.

Friday

> Have bought one from Hong Kong. Not happy as mounting is poor and there
> is a poor connection within light that leads to intermittent dimming.

Ditto on both accounts.

Still, for about $10 or whatever it was, I'll live.