LED taillight? not VistaLite Total Eclipse

Ron Hardin

Guest
What's the best LED taillight? Mounting on the top corners of a milk
crate on the luggage rack (2 of them).

My 2nd VistaLite Total Eclipse, a fine light otherwise (30 hrs on 2AAA),
crapped out, the first by going into a mode where it turned off
automatically after 5 seconds no matter what you did, and the 2nd
by going into a mode where 2 of the LEDs are always illuminated,
draining the battery to zero when it's turned off. So technically
this light is not looking good any longer.

I want steady light only, no flashing.
--
Ron Hardin
[email protected]

Ron Hardin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> What's the best LED taillight? Mounting on the top corners of a milk
> crate on the luggage rack (2 of them).
>
> My 2nd VistaLite Total Eclipse, a fine light otherwise (30 hrs on 2AAA),
> crapped out, the first by going into a mode where it turned off
> automatically after 5 seconds no matter what you did, and the 2nd
> by going into a mode where 2 of the LEDs are always illuminated,
> draining the battery to zero when it's turned off. So technically
> this light is not looking good any longer.
>
> I want steady light only, no flashing.

I'm a big believer in LED taillights that run on AA batteries, rather
than AAA. Much longer battery life (double or triple) for a
negligible size/weight penalty.

I have a VistaLite 300-series light on my rear rack (may possibly be
the Nebula" model, but I'm not sure). It can operate in steady on,
flashing, or "chase" modes. This light is *extremely* bright, and can
be mounted either horizontally or vertically for slightly greater
beamwidth along your axis of choice.

I definitely can recommend this model. However, it is one of the more
expensive models -- $15 to $20 per taillight. I found mine in a
closeout bin, so it is possible that mine is older than the latest
"Nebula" model, which may be even brighter.