LED valve caps

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by D.M. Procida, Jul 30, 2005.

  1. D.M. Procida

    D.M. Procida Guest

    Would it be terribly naff to have LED valve caps on a bike? Being easily
    amused I quite like the idea. I don't even know whether they're
    available for bicycles.

    Daniele

    Tags:

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

  3. D.M. Procida wrote:
    > Would it be terribly naff to have LED valve caps on a bike? Being easily
    > amused I quite like the idea. I don't even know whether they're
    > available for bicycles.

    Google for Tire Flys (sic). And yes, they are naff ;-)

  4. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:
    > D.M. Procida wrote:
    > > Would it be terribly naff to have LED valve caps on a bike? Being easily
    > > amused I quite like the idea. I don't even know whether they're
    > > available for bicycles.

    > Google for Tire Flys (sic). And yes, they are naff ;-)

    very popular on the Dun Run (and being in Essex, blue of course)

  5. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    MartinM wrote:
    > Zog The Undeniable wrote:
    > > D.M. Procida wrote:
    > > > Would it be terribly naff to have LED valve caps on a bike? Being easily
    > > > amused I quite like the idea. I don't even know whether they're
    > > > available for bicycles.

    > > Google for Tire Flys (sic). And yes, they are naff ;-)

    > very popular on the Dun Run (and being in Essex, blue of course)

    I have orange ones on the commuter.

    Naff but can produce just enough light for you to stop by when your
    main light suddenly turns off on a dark, unlit country road.

    ...d

  6. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message
    <1h0itgw.j6yp2v1cm7d23N%[email protected]>,
    D.M. Procida ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Would it be terribly naff to have LED valve caps on a bike? Being
    > easily amused I quite like the idea. I don't even know whether they're
    > available for bicycles.

    The same ones work for anything with Schraeder valves, which includes
    most cheaper mountain bikes and hybrids. As for naff... do you /have/ to
    ask?

    ;; Our modern industrial economy takes a mountain covered with trees,
    ;; lakes, running streams and transforms it into a mountain of junk,
    ;; garbage, slime pits, and debris. -- Edward Abbey

  7. D.M. Procida wrote:
    > Would it be terribly naff to have LED valve caps on a bike? Being easily
    > amused I quite like the idea. I don't even know whether they're
    > available for bicycles.

    I've just ordered a set of 4 for a tenner from the H*lf*rds website.
    I'm going to try two for my commuting bike and use the other two on the
    kids bikes. I don't mind looking naff on my way home as long as drivers
    see me. The two L.E.D lit wheels should spell bike to even the doziest
    driver.
    Iain
    PS I was buying roofbars anyway so no postage cost. I presume local
    stores would stock them as well.

  8. MartinM wrote:

    > very popular on the Dun Run (and being in Essex, blue of course)

    Yeah, GruB from the C+ forum was using blue ones.

  9. elyob

    elyob Guest

    "D.M. Procida" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    news:1h0itgw.j6yp2v1cm7d23N%[email protected]
    > Would it be terribly naff to have LED valve caps on a bike? Being easily
    > amused I quite like the idea. I don't even know whether they're
    > available for bicycles.
    >
    > Daniele

    I got some last year and went on critical mass. I wasn't the only one! Mine
    are multi coloured and look really horrid, but the single blue one I saw
    looked pretty ok actually. If you could see what I wore today on my bike
    ride then the tireflys aren't the naff part to be worried about!

  10. Al C-F

    Al C-F Guest

    On 30 Jul 2005 09:56:31 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

    >The two L.E.D lit wheels should spell bike to even the doziest
    >driver.

    No, they will spell "O O".

  11. Martin Dann

    Martin Dann Guest

    [email protected] (D.M. Procida) wrote:

    > Would it be terribly naff to have LED valve caps on a bike? Being easily
    > amused I quite like the idea. I don't even know whether they're
    > available for bicycles.

    I got a pair of blue ones from argos in the winter. 45 mins cycling
    ten times a week, and it is on its second set of batteries.
    (I only have one fitted, as I use a shreader/presto converter to fit it).

    I have got funny looks from the police a couple of times, but they
    have never commented. (It being illegal to have blue flashing lights
    unless you are an emergency vehicle).

    Martin.

    --
    According to the human genome project, humans are 50-60% bananas.
    When emailing me, please include the word Banana in the subject line.

  12. I submit that on or about Sat, 30 Jul 2005 19:37:36 +0100, the person
    known to the court as Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> made a
    statement (<[email protected]> in Your Honour's bundle) to the
    following effect:

    >Actually, they'll describe a cycloid in space.
    >http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Cycloid.html

    <pedant> Two cycloids. </pedant>

    Would that be a bicycloid?

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  13. Nobody Here

    Nobody Here Guest

    David Martin <[email protected]> wrote:

    > MartinM wrote:
    >> Zog The Undeniable wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Google for Tire Flys (sic). And yes, they are naff ;-)

    >> very popular on the Dun Run (and being in Essex, blue of course)

    > I have orange ones on the commuter.
    >
    > Naff but can produce just enough light for you to stop by when your
    > main light suddenly turns off on a dark, unlit country road.

    Yeah, but the hedge or ditch'll stop you quicker and more cheaply :)

    (More cheaply? Wot kinda inglish is tha?)

    --
    Nobby

  14. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:
    > MartinM wrote:
    >
    > > very popular on the Dun Run (and being in Essex, blue of course)
    > >

    > Yeah, GruB from the C+ forum was using blue ones.

    So quite restained compared to the rest of them ;-)
    Was he taking time out from the latest The Hills Have Eyes film?

  15. Nobody Here

    Nobody Here Guest

    Al C-F <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On 30 Jul 2005 09:56:31 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >>The two L.E.D lit wheels should spell bike to even the doziest
    >>driver.

    > No, they will spell "O O".

    Someone at work got a top (spinning top, twirl it around) that had a series
    of LEDs that could spell out words and stuff as it spun. It was neat,
    partly because it used the earth's magnetic field to stabilise the
    words and to detect the spin speed - we proved that using a magnet
    (actually headphones held very close) which confused it enough so that
    it wrote the words twice per revoltion - once scrunched up across the
    earpiece width, and the other time in the rest of the circle.

    You could use that to flash messages to passing motorists - particularly
    those that can't see you because you've no lights shining to the side
    as you speed out of a side road. :p

    --
    Nobby

  16. Nobody Here wrote:

    > You could use that to flash messages to passing motorists - particularly
    > those that can't see you because you've no lights shining to the side
    > as you speed out of a side road. :p

    Been done.

    http://www.hokeyspokes.com/designs.htm