Led Vs. Xenon

LeMuskrat

Oct 1, 2015
Rochester, New York
Hello friends,

You cannot put a price on safety.

That being said, I am looking into buying a headlamp (for my helmet) so I can do some night riding. I ride both road and trails, and would like something that works well for both. I already have a cheap light (only 35 lumen LED) mounted on my handlebars, and find that this doesn't quite do the job; I would like to be able to illuminate terrain in the direction I am looking also.

What do you folks use to see while night riding? Which type of light should I be using, LED or Xenon? Just looking for some ideas :)

~Cheers

I've got a couple of non-name-branded LED lights fitted to my handlebars. They are pretty powerful and illuminate my path beautifully even in pitch black areas. I forget where I got them though unfortunately.

I've never seen Xenon bike lights to be honest.

Incandescent bulbs are outdated. Good LED lights will give a long runtime and 1000's of lumens using relatively small batteries. I have a few units purchased off of eBay for about $30 (includes shipping, battery, charger and mounts) with Cree leds that I use all winter long.

How many do you have on your bike maydog? I've got two on my handlebars at the moment.

I really am trying to figure out how Xenon lights would work out. I mean for instance I had them fitted to my previous car and considering a car batteries size, it still took them a little while to warm up and produce a bright light. With a bike light that will take much smaller batteries I can't see the light lasting for long before the battery would need to be changed.

Since I don't ride in the evenings, I don't have any lights fitted on my bike. But if I had to install lights on my bike, I would probably go with LED lights as they are affordable and easy to get hold of. They are also pretty bright and I really can't see Xenon lights offering any significant benefit. Most cyclists that I know that have installed lights on their bikes seem to stick to LED lights.

My vote goes with any of the Cygolite brand of headlights, 300 lumens or above. As maydog says, Cree LEDs are amazingly good ang provide really great lighting. I also have not one but 5 rear-facing blinky lights. The best of these is the Cygolite Hotshot. I'm more worried about being seen by motor vehicle traffic coming from behind me and I want some snappy strobe pulsing to make some idiot on a cell phone snap out of his or her trance and see me.

Thanks a ton

Bob

I also tend not to ride in the evening or at night anymore but when I did I used LED lights and they was always fine for me.

I'd imagine that most cyists would say the same as well to be honest and all you want is something affordable, well, in my case cheaper the better, that will do what you need.

I have had many of those LED lights equipped to my bike and it is really hard to find a really durable one. Even the expensive models haven't lasted for more than one year. I have decided to acquire Xenon light since it is more durable against moist, hits and lasts longer.

Thanks for your input friends.

I guess LED is more common, so I'm shopping around for a good, bright and (hopefully) durable LED light.

My first two choices are the Cygolite Centauri 1000 -OR- Tridenx 1100.

I hear they are good for visibility in all conditions, trail and road, also bright enough to be seen from a distance.

LeMuskrat said:
Thanks for your input friends.

I guess LED is more common, so I'm shopping around for a good, bright and (hopefully) durable LED light.

My first two choices are the Cygolite Centauri 1000 -OR- Tridenx 1100.

I hear they are good for visibility in all conditions, trail and road, also bright enough to be seen from a distance.
With LED'S there's no question on if you'll be seen, you WILL be seen so don't worry on that front B)

Cygolite make quality products in my experience so you can't really go wrong with their gear and they're usually reasonably priced.

While I'm not well up on the actual model you've mentioned, if it's like the rest of the range it will be more than adequate. (No I don't work for them, by the way) haha

Cygolite seems to be the go to brand for lights. What made their products so popular?

I'm thinking of checking out their stuff.

Cygolite have been around for a while now and they produce good quality equipment and a reasonable price, so they're quite popular with a lot of cyclists.

Obviously there are other brands available but they are about the best I've used and would recommend them to anybody.

Definitely worth checking out anyway.