Left Elbow Tendonitis... From Leaning?

Poop Loops

Jul 17, 2007
Hey all. Only started riding my bike regularly about 6 or so weeks ago. Started off on a MTB that's a bit too short for me, and then my dad busted out his old, old Schwinn road bike. 10 speeder, frictional gear shifters on the frame, etc. Never having ridden a road bike before, I found it to be awesome.

But, after riding it for about a week or two almost every day, I noticed that after I was done my left elbow would hurt. I knew something was wrong when I got done one day and I couldn't even bend it all the way.

Now, when I road my bike, I would put my hands on the "lower" part of the curly handlebars and lean into them. Then to change gears, I had to let go with my (usually) right hand and adjust the tension. I live in an area with lots of hills, so I think putting all my weight on one elbow could have damaged it. However, I'm not sure, so I'm asking. :) Is it possible do get tendonitis like that?

I also lift weights, and noticed that when doing curls or pull ups, it hurts. When doing overhead presses or bench presses, it also hurts, so it's not like only one tendon was damaged or I damaged my elbow doing weights, because I would have had trouble with either/or, but not both...

Lastly, I've been taking Ibuprofen for the past few weeks. 400mg twice a day, resting my elbow, shorter bike rides while wearing an elbow brace, and trying to ice it as much as possible. The pain has gone down considerably. However, last weekend I took out my mountain bike for a spin, thinking since I can't lean as much, it wouldn't do any damage, but I was wrong. I started feeling pain in my elbow again. Granted, this time I road without my elbow brace...

Phew, very long post, but this has been bugging me for a while. I hate being injured when it's so beautiful outside. :(

You need to get an exam to the elbow and yes you can get tennis elbow or bursitis or other elbow injuries. You postion is mostly off putting to much weight on the arms. In addition, you may have injured it in the weight room. either way get to a doctor and get a bike fit good luck
**** Loops said:
Hey all. Only started riding my bike regularly about 6 or so weeks ago. Started off on a MTB that's a bit too short for me, and then my dad busted out his old, old Schwinn road bike. 10 speeder, frictional gear shifters on the frame, etc. Never having ridden a road bike before, I found it to be awesome.

But, after riding it for about a week or two almost every day, I noticed that after I was done my left elbow would hurt. I knew something was wrong when I got done one day and I couldn't even bend it all the way.

Now, when I road my bike, I would put my hands on the "lower" part of the curly handlebars and lean into them. Then to change gears, I had to let go with my (usually) right hand and adjust the tension. I live in an area with lots of hills, so I think putting all my weight on one elbow could have damaged it. However, I'm not sure, so I'm asking. :) Is it possible do get tendonitis like that?

I also lift weights, and noticed that when doing curls or pull ups, it hurts. When doing overhead presses or bench presses, it also hurts, so it's not like only one tendon was damaged or I damaged my elbow doing weights, because I would have had trouble with either/or, but not both...

Lastly, I've been taking Ibuprofen for the past few weeks. 400mg twice a day, resting my elbow, shorter bike rides while wearing an elbow brace, and trying to ice it as much as possible. The pain has gone down considerably. However, last weekend I took out my mountain bike for a spin, thinking since I can't lean as much, it wouldn't do any damage, but I was wrong. I started feeling pain in my elbow again. Granted, this time I road without my elbow brace...

Phew, very long post, but this has been bugging me for a while. I hate being injured when it's so beautiful outside. :(