Left leg pain

meowcatz

Apr 27, 2010
Recently I have been having pain in one leg (left) while riding. The pain is in the inner part of my leg towards the top, right about where my leg meets the saddle. It's not from my leg rubbing the saddle; it is more of a soreness or tightness. I had my bike fitted 3 weeks ago and was told that I have a bit of hip rotation that was corrected by putting in a shim in my left shoe and adjusting my cleats to positions so that I rotate less and have a more symmetrical pedal stroke.
I should also note that I have been increasing my training volume faster than 10% per week. E.g. going from 110 to 150 mi over the course of 2 weeks.
Basically, my question is: is it normal to have odd pains that suddenly flare up when rapidly increasing training volume, or should I have my fitting re-done? Any advice is appreciated.

I get pains here and there when I increase my number of miles significantly, for example my first 2 rides this year were 25 miles, the third ride was 48 miles with a lot of hills.

I developed a pain in the back of my left knee about 38 miles into that 48 mile ride, and 3 weeks later it is still bothering me. So, I think I did too much too soon and now I'm paying for it.

So, it could be just stress pain from increasing mileage or intensity too fast. Maybe you should back off a bit and see if it improves...