left over pot roast

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Orion, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    PENMART01 wrote:
    >> "jmcquown" writes:
    >>
    >> Orion wrote:
    >>> what's your favorite thing to do with left over pot
    >>> roast? Suzan
    >>
    >> Smother it in gravy and then use it to top a hot roast
    >> beef sandwich.
    >
    > Huh? A "roast beef, pot roast" combo... sounds so yicky. I
    > guess that kinda sammiche goes with a side of grits, and
    > tea flavored sugar water... hehe Sheldon ````````````
    > "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without
    > tribulation."

    Ahhh, darlin', you've never tasted my grits! ;-)

    Chop the leftover roast beef, then smother in gravy, and as
    elsewhere mentioned spoon some over one half of a nice
    sliced hoagie bun roll while the other half has sauteed
    onions, green peppers and mushrooms spooned on it, and some
    cheese... grilled until bubbling hot. Delish!

    Jill

  2. Snapper

    Snapper Guest

    --
    That's just enough meat to make a hearty beef and
    vegetable soup.

    This is also a good way to use up any leftover veggies you
    may have in the fridge. Use any or all of your favorite
    veggies, but by all means don't leave out the cabbage.

    Add some canned crushed tomatoes or tomato paste, and serve
    with some fresh homemade cornbread.

    Chef Carl

    "The only difference between being in a rut and a grave is
    the depth."

  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Jill answered Sheldon:

    >>> Smother it in gravy and then use it to top a hot roast
    >>> beef sandwich.
    >>
    >> Huh? A "roast beef, pot roast" combo... sounds so yicky.
    >> I guess that kinda sammiche goes with a side of grits,
    >> and tea flavored sugar water... hehe Sheldon
    >
    > Ahhh, darlin', you've never tasted my grits! ;-)
    >
    > Chop the leftover roast beef, then smother in gravy, and
    > as elsewhere mentioned spoon some over one half of a nice
    > sliced hoagie bun roll while the other half has sauteed
    > onions, green peppers and mushrooms spooned on it, and
    > some cheese... grilled until bubbling hot. Delish!

    Actually, Sheldon had a point: The OP was talking about POT
    ROAST. That's different from roast beef. You wrote to put a
    pot-roast concoction on top of a roast beef sandwich.

    But Sheldon missed YOUR point, because you worded it poorly.
    Based on what you wrote in this LAST message, you actually
    meant to write, "Smother it in gravy and use it in a hot POT
    ROAST sandwich." Not a roast beef sandwich.

    Bob

  4. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Bob wrote:
    > Jill answered Sheldon:

    >>> Huh? A "roast beef, pot roast" combo... sounds so yicky.
    >>> I guess that kinda sammiche goes with a side of grits,
    >>> and tea flavored sugar water... hehe Sheldon
    >>
    >> Ahhh, darlin', you've never tasted my grits! ;-)
    >>
    >> Chop the leftover roast beef, then smother in gravy, and
    >> as elsewhere mentioned spoon some over one half of a nice
    >> sliced hoagie bun roll while the other half has sauteed
    >> onions, green peppers and mushrooms spooned on it, and
    >> some cheese... grilled until bubbling hot. Delish!
    >
    > Actually, Sheldon had a point: The OP was talking about
    > POT ROAST. That's different from roast beef. You wrote to
    > put a pot-roast concoction on top of a roast beef
    > sandwich.
    >
    > But Sheldon missed YOUR point, because you worded it
    > poorly. Based on what you wrote in this LAST message, you
    > actually meant to write, "Smother it in gravy and use it
    > in a hot POT ROAST sandwich." Not a roast beef sandwich.
    >
    > Bob

    Semantics... roasted beef, in the pot, out of the pot,
    whatever, in gravy, on a sandwich.

  5. In article <[email protected]>, "Orion" <nos[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > what's your favorite thing to do with left over pot roast?
    > I have approx 1 lb of it to work with. It turned out
    > really well, is very tender and flavorful.
    >
    > Suzan

    My True Love loves Roast Beast Hash. Pot roast is on
    tomorrow's menu.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-5-04.
    Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got

  6. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Bob wrote:
    >> Jill answered Sheldon:

    >>> Ahhh, darlin', you've never tasted my grits! ;-)
    >>>
    >>> Chop the leftover roast beef, then smother in gravy, and
    >>> as elsewhere mentioned spoon some over one half of a
    >>> nice sliced hoagie bun roll while the other half has
    >>> sauteed onions, green peppers and mushrooms spooned on
    >>> it, and some cheese... grilled until bubbling hot.
    >>> Delish!
    >>
    >> Actually, Sheldon had a point: The OP was talking about
    >> POT ROAST. That's different from roast beef. You wrote to
    >> put a pot-roast concoction on top of a roast beef
    >> sandwich.
    >>
    >> But Sheldon missed YOUR point, because you worded it
    >> poorly. Based on what you wrote in this LAST message, you
    >> actually meant to write, "Smother it in gravy and use it
    >> in a hot POT ROAST sandwich." Not a roast beef sandwich.
    >>
    >> Bob
    >
    > Semantics... roasted beef, in the pot, out of the pot,
    > whatever, in gravy, on a sandwich.

    In the Pot, out of the pot...whatever as long as it isn't
    peas-porridge and 9 days old.

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on
    nothing but food and water.

  7. jmcquown wrote:

    >>> But Sheldon missed YOUR point, because you worded it
    >>> poorly.
    >>
    >> You really believe I missed Jill's point, eh.... do you
    >> believe in the tooth fairy too?
    >
    > Don't knock it... the tooth fairy brought me perfectly
    > straight teeth ;-)

    Perfect teeth is a sign of being neglected *by* the Tooth
    Fairy; i.e., the Tooth Fairy causes poor dental hygiene to
    keep business up. :)

    --
    Darryl L. Pierce <[email protected]> Visit the Infobahn
    Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce> "What do you care

  8. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Orion wrote:

    > what's your favorite thing to do with left over pot roast?
    > I have approx 1 lb of it to work with. It turned out
    > really well, is very tender and flavorful.
    >
    > Suzan

    Hot, gravy-dipped sandwiches on hard rolls. DH uses
    horseradish; I don't.

    gloria p

  9. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Darryl L. Pierce wrote:

    >>> You really believe I missed Jill's point, eh.... do you
    >>> believe in the tooth fairy too?
    >>
    >> Don't knock it... the tooth fairy brought me perfectly
    >> straight teeth ;-)
    >
    > Perfect teeth is a sign of being neglected *by* the
    > Tooth Fairy;
    > i.e., the Tooth Fairy causes poor dental hygiene to keep
    > business up.
    > :)

    I've never had poor dental hygiene in my life... what I did
    have was a space between my front teeth like Lauren Hutton.
    Required tooth-fairy surgery to have the tissue cut out so
    they could grow together normally.

  10. Cafeus

    Cafeus Guest

    "Orion" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > what's your favorite thing to do with left over pot roast?
    > I have approx 1 lb of it to work with. It turned out
    > really well, is very tender and flavorful.
    >
    > Suzan

    My favorite thing to make with leftover pot roast is
    Shepard's Pie. Saute` some diced onions and carrots then add
    a little tomato paste, beef gravy and peas. You can add any
    diced vegetable you like. I like butternut squash. mix this
    with your beef that has been diced, put into a casserole and
    top with mashed potatoes or mashed sweet potatoes and bake
    until heated through and top is browned. cafeus

  11. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    "Darryl L. Pierce" <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]:

    >>> You really believe I missed Jill's point, eh.... do you
    >>> believe in the tooth fairy too?
    >>
    >> Don't knock it... the tooth fairy brought me perfectly
    >> straight teeth ;-)
    >
    > Perfect teeth is a sign of being neglected *by* the Tooth
    > Fairy; i.e., the Tooth Fairy causes poor dental hygiene to
    > keep business up. :)

    Reminds me of the sign in my brother's office (which my
    mother tore down immediately) that stated "Eat Candy...
    Support your local dentist" Mother's sense of propriety is
    rather strict <snort> and then she has to deal with me.

    Michael
    --
    Deathbed statement...

    "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
    December 12, 1968

  12. jmcquown wrote:

    >> Perfect teeth is a sign of being neglected *by* the
    >> Tooth Fairy;
    >> i.e., the Tooth Fairy causes poor dental hygiene to keep
    >> business up.
    >> :)
    >
    > I've never had poor dental hygiene in my life... what I
    > did have was a space between my front teeth like Lauren
    > Hutton. Required tooth-fairy surgery to have the tissue
    > cut out so they could grow together normally.

    My wife had surgery to correct a slightly distended lower
    mandible when she was very young. A few years ago our
    youngest son we thought our youngest son was going to
    require similar surgery to correct his upper mandible, which
    involves a series of screws implanted that have to
    (painfully) turned every morning and evening to force the
    mandible into position.

    A year ago, during his yearly dental exam, the dentist said
    the problem corrected itself and he wouldn't have to have
    the surgery. Huge sigh of relief from my wife that day...

    --
    Darryl L. Pierce <[email protected]> Visit the Infobahn
    Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce> "What do you care
    what other people think, Mr. Feynman?"

  13. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Darryl L. Pierce" wrote:

    > Perfect teeth is a sign of being neglected *by* the Tooth
    > Fairy; i.e., the Tooth Fairy causes poor dental hygiene to
    > keep business up. :)

    My socially conscious rich ex sil said, Perfect teeth are
    how you know someone grew up rich. I guess my dentist of
    many years thought I did because he said something happened
    as a result of me brushing too hard when I had braces. Yeah,
    just the thought that my parents would pay for braces is
    good for a laugh. Four kids, one income, no way did any of
    us have braces.

    nancy

  14. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "Orion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > what's your favorite thing to do with left over pot roast?
    > I have approx
    1
    > lb of it to work with. It turned out really well, is very
    > tender and flavorful.
    >
    > Suzan

    Some easy ways to use it would be: Simmered in gravy, then
    served over bread for an open faced roast beef sandwich
    Chopped up, and combined with potatoes and carrots and
    whatever other veggies you like, then made into potpie Beef
    and barley soup or beef-vegetable soup or beef noodle soup
    Shredded, simmered with some bbq sauce and served on an
    onion roll Shredded, simmered with green chiles, ancho
    chiles, and onions and used for tacos, burritos or
    enchiladas Use leftover gravy as a base for a creamy sauce
    and serve over noodles like Stroganoff Add to homemade
    spaghetti sauce as it simmers Diced rather fine you can add
    it to rice dishes, chow mien, etc Process it (Use the pulse
    feature) and add mayo, garlic, pickles and whatever else
    tickles your fancy for a sandwich spread And of course the
    ever popular roast beef hash.

    kimberly

  15. Blake Murphy

    Blake Murphy Guest

    On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 20:08:22 -0800, "Orion" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >what's your favorite thing to do with left over pot roast?
    >I have approx 1 lb of it to work with. It turned out really
    >well, is very tender and flavorful.
    >
    >Suzan

    it's pretty good shredded on a bun with some kind of
    bbq sauce.

    your pal, blake

  16. Blake Murphy

    Blake Murphy Guest

    On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 20:08:22 -0800, "Orion" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >what's your favorite thing to do with left over pot roast?
    >I have approx 1 lb of it to work with. It turned out really
    >well, is very tender and flavorful.
    >
    >Suzan

    it's pretty good shredded on a bun with some kind of
    bbq sauce.

    your pal, blake

  17. Blake Murphy

    Blake Murphy Guest

    On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 16:17:17 -0600, "jmcquown" <[email protected]et>
    wrote:

    >PENMART01 wrote:
    >> You really believe I missed Jill's point, eh.... do you
    >> believe in the tooth fairy too?
    >>
    >> Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be devoid of all meaning
    >> were it without tribulation."
    >
    >Don't knock it... the tooth fairy brought me perfectly
    >straight teeth ;-)

    i thought you *gave* the teeth to the tooth fairy, not the
    other way 'round.

    your pal, blake

  18. Blake Murphy

    wrote:

    >PENMART01 wrote:
    >> You really believe I missed Jill's point, eh.... do you
    >> believe in the tooth fairy too?
    >>
    >> Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be devoid of all meaning
    >> were it without tribulation."
    >
    >Don't knock it... the tooth fairy brought me perfectly
    >straight teeth ;-)

    i thought you *gave* the teeth to the tooth fairy, not the
    other way 'round.

    your pal, blake

  19. Barry Grau

    Barry Grau Guest

    "Orion" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > what's your favorite thing to do with left over pot roast?
    > I have approx 1 lb of it to work with. It turned out
    > really well, is very tender and flavorful.
    >
    > Suzan

    Put a hunk of leftover meat on a plate along with some
    leftover vegetables and some leftover juices, heat them,
    mash up any potatoes and carrots to soak up the juices, and
    eat it. Sometimes, for variation, I put it in a bowl instead
    of on a plate.

    -bwg