(left) side-pull brakes?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by TimH, May 16, 2004.

  1. TimH

    TimH Guest

    This might sound like a crazy question, but does anyone know of a side-pull
    brake that was made to pull from the left side (looking from the back) of
    the calipers instead of the right?

    Thanks,
    Tim

    Tags:

  2. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    TimH wrote:
    > This might sound like a crazy question, but does anyone know of a
    > side-pull brake that was made to pull from the left side (looking
    > from the back) of the calipers instead of the right?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tim

    Alhonga long reach dual pivots are left handed.

  3. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    "TimH" <[email protected]> writes:

    > This might sound like a crazy question, but does anyone know of a
    > side-pull brake that was made to pull from the left side (looking
    > from the back) of the calipers instead of the right?

    There were several back in the days of yore, I think you're probably
    going to have to look for vintage stuff if you want left handed
    sidepulls. IIRC Universal or DiaCompe brakes from the bike boom era
    (late 70's) were left handed, but I don't have any to check. One of
    the bike shop guys who've been around a while- Andrew M., Sheldon,
    Mike J., Peter- would know this off the tops of their heads.

  4. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "TimH" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > > This might sound like a crazy question, but does anyone know of a
    > > side-pull brake that was made to pull from the left side (looking
    > > from the back) of the calipers instead of the right?

    > There were several back in the days of yore, I think you're probably
    > going to have to look for vintage stuff if you want left handed
    > sidepulls. IIRC Universal or DiaCompe brakes from the bike boom era
    > (late 70's) were left handed, but I don't have any to check. One of
    > the bike shop guys who've been around a while- Andrew M., Sheldon,
    > Mike J., Peter- would know this off the tops of their heads.

    I guess I'm from that era. My first "real" touring bike had Dia-Compe
    "G" brakes, which had the cable entry on the right side (while facing
    the brake). In fact, I think I've got a set in my dusty parts bin.

    They're useful for short-wheelbase recumbents, where the chain tends
    to interfere with the brake cable. I got around that by mounting an
    RX100 caliper behind the fork on my wife's P-38 Lightning recumbent.
    Modern dual-pivot sidepulls are far better than the old Dia-Compes.

    BTW: the Alhonga brake is used on a couple of the Bacchetta
    recumbents. However, it's configured for a bottom-entry cable pull.
    There's a sketch at
    http://www.x-eyed.com/manual1.html

    Jeff

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    TimH wrote:

    > This might sound like a crazy question, but does anyone know of a side-pull
    > brake that was made to pull from the left side (looking from the back) of
    > the calipers instead of the right?

    That is an excellent question!

    (I'll describe front brakes with cable on the chain side as
    "right")

    Generally, top quality and forged arms are right, pressed
    arm standard models are left, as this current Tektro version
    of Weinmann's timeless "500" :
    http://www.yellowjersey.org/BINKYUDL.JPG

    There isn't any "rule" about that.

    Curious, I looked through some old catalogs and it appears
    the convention was left( Weinmann, therefore DiaCompe, CLB,
    LAM, Bebo, etc) until Campagnolo redefined 'pro brake' with
    the Record of 1968. Then everyone switched to the
    now-more-prestigious right side ( Zeus, Modolo, All The
    Labels Really Made By Modolo, Universal, Mafac/Spidel, etc)

    In the seventies and eighties, Weinmann/DiaCompe made their
    standard series left (photo above) and top models (Carrera,
    Royal Gran Compe) right. Shimano DuraAce have always been
    right. The original 105 & 600 were left, after Shimano's
    giant makeover of 1983 ( New 600 ) both switched to right.
    Sante, too.

    Shimano's nicely made, affordable Z calipers were offered
    both ways (!). I found a Rino catalog showing a pro right
    and standard left on the same page. No idea who actually
    made them.

    I probably shouldn't have spent that much time researching
    this but I found it interesting.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  6. A Muzi wrote:
    > Generally, top quality and forged arms are right, pressed arm standard
    > models are left, as this current Tektro version of Weinmann's timeless
    > "500" :
    > http://www.yellowjersey.org/BINKYUDL.JPG

    Is that you in the picture?
    --
    R.

    <> Richard Brockie "Categorical statements
    <> The tall blond one. always cause trouble."
    <> [email protected]

  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Richard Brockie wrote:
    > Is that you in the picture?

    That's a one-armed customer with his new bike yesterday. I
    made a leather wrap for the right side of the bar

    --

  8. On Sun, 16 May 2004 21:08:03 -0500, A Muzi wrote:

    > Curious, I looked through some old catalogs and it appears
    > the convention was left( Weinmann, therefore DiaCompe, CLB,
    > LAM, Bebo, etc) until Campagnolo redefined 'pro brake' with
    > the Record of 1968. Then everyone switched to the
    > now-more-prestigious right side ( Zeus, Modolo, All The
    > Labels Really Made By Modolo, Universal, Mafac/Spidel, etc)

    I don't think this is quite right. Universal side pulls were on the right
    side well before Campy came out. Weinmann were always left. I used to
    use a pair of Weinmann 500s that were pretty good, but perhaps those
    manufactured now under that name are not as good.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | ...nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or
    _`\(,_ | property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person
    (_)/ (_) | within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. --
    Fourteenth Amendment to the U. S. Constitution.

  9. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    David L. Johnson wrote:
    > I don't think this is quite right. Universal side pulls were on the right
    > side well before Campy came out. Weinmann were always left. I used to
    > use a pair of Weinmann 500s that were pretty good, but perhaps those
    > manufactured now under that name are not as good.

    I think we agree that Weinmann's standard models _are_
    pretty good. I use a few myself.

    But their forged-arm Carrera model is on the right, the
    other side from the standard ones (as was a model I can't
    recall ever seeing, the 605 )

    I spent a half-hour in the library here so these details are
    fresh in mind. I could not have written all that otherwise.

    My mention of Universal came from a mid-seventies CX model
    press release I saw this evening.

    You're right about the Universal Super 68 ( and the earlier
    #51) . I hadn't thought of those tonight at all ( even
    though I had a set when they were in style). Perhaps they
    were the different drummer that Campagnolo followed. You
    make a good point.

    Anyway I think I said there wasn't a rule but a general
    trend to more expensive models on the right. You may have
    found a better antecedent than the one I mentioned
    --

  10. A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I probably shouldn't have spent that much time researching this
    > but I found it interesting.

    Appreciated 8)

    --
    MfG/Best regards
    helmut springer

  11. A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Generally, top quality and forged arms are right, pressed
    > arm standard models are left, as this current Tektro version
    > of Weinmann's timeless "500" :
    > http://www.yellowjersey.org/BINKYUDL.JPG

    > There isn't any "rule" about that.

    > Curious, I looked through some old catalogs and it appears
    > the convention was left( Weinmann, therefore DiaCompe, CLB,
    > LAM, Bebo, etc) until Campagnolo redefined 'pro brake' with
    > the Record of 1968. Then everyone switched to the
    > now-more-prestigious right side ( Zeus, Modolo, All The
    > Labels Really Made By Modolo, Universal, Mafac/Spidel, etc)

    I used to think the preference for right was determined
    by cable routing, and became acute with aero levers and
    routing the cables under the tape, where left-front lever
    and "right" front brake gives a nicer curve to the cable
    thann the opposite combination. Your chronology, and the
    existence of current left-cable brakes, calls that into
    question. Unless the lefts are being produced now by
    inertia only, which is always a possibility.

  12. On 05/16/2004 11:08 PM, in article [email protected], "A
    Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> A Muzi wrote:
    >>> Generally, top quality and forged arms are right, pressed arm standard
    >>> models are left, as this current Tektro version of Weinmann's timeless
    >>> "500" :
    >>> http://www.yellowjersey.org/BINKYUDL.JPG

    > Richard Brockie wrote:
    >> Is that you in the picture?

    > That's a one-armed customer with his new bike yesterday. I
    > made a leather wrap for the right side of the bar

    I was so caught up in trying to figure out if the frame was chrome, or just
    painted silver, that I didn't even notice that the rider only had one (real)
    arm.

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com

  13. On Mon, 17 May 2004 11:12:39 GMT, "Steven L. Sheffield"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 05/16/2004 11:08 PM, in article [email protected], "A
    >Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Richard Brockie wrote:
    >>> Is that you in the picture?

    >> That's a one-armed customer with his new bike yesterday. I
    >> made a leather wrap for the right side of the bar

    >I was so caught up in trying to figure out if the frame was chrome, or just
    >painted silver, that I didn't even notice that the rider only had one (real)
    >arm.

    Dear Steven,

    Cheer up. Neither did I. And we're not the worst:

    "21. The chief of police of a Southern city once gave me a description
    of a man, complete even to the mole on his neck, but neglected to
    mention that he had only one arm."

    --Dashiell Hammet, From the Memoirs of a Private Detective

    http://www.ejmd.mcmail.com/memoirs.htm

    Carl Fogel