Leg and Foot numbness

tdxloki

Jan 11, 2005
On most rides I experience numb toes on the left side only. It is usually my outer 2 toes but also after the ride I find that my big toe is numb. It is most pronounced when I am pedaling with lots of force (uphill, paceline) but not so much when I am spinning. I have switched shoes, Diadora to Specialized (wider), and saddles, narrow Serfas to wider Koobi PRS. Both feel better but have not stopped numbness completely. I also feel some tingling with my left inner thigh and hamstring near the saddle. To top it off, my left testicle sometimes gets forced inside and my jimmy gets cold but not numb. These sensations all occur at moderate temperatures. I am 160 lbs, 6 foot, and ride a Cannondale.

My guess is this is a combination of fit and circulation. Anyone experience a similar situation and solve the problems?

Feet no - Hands & what women think men use for a brain - yes (Sorry Hands & balls just sounds a little to off :D ). My bike fit was the problem.

You may also want check the tightness of your shoes after you have been riding hard, and maybe loosen them up just a touch. Streching for the leg muscles???

SLS said:
Feet no - Hands & what women think men use for a brain - yes (Sorry Hands & balls just sounds a little to off :D ). My bike fit was the problem.

You may also want check the tightness of your shoes after you have been riding hard, and maybe loosen them up just a touch. Streching for the leg muscles???
Actually I keep the shoes pretty loose. I can always wiggle my toes, Specialized Comp stay wide all the way to the front - good design.

So, did you experience numbness or coldness in the groin? And what do you think was wrong with your original fit? Coldness is my problem. I can still feel everything but it gets uncomfortably cold.

tdxloki said:
On most rides I experience numb toes on the left side only. It is usually my outer 2 toes but also after the ride I find that my big toe is numb. It is most pronounced when I am pedaling with lots of force (uphill, paceline) but not so much when I am spinning. I have switched shoes, Diadora to Specialized (wider), and saddles, narrow Serfas to wider Koobi PRS. Both feel better but have not stopped numbness completely. I also feel some tingling with my left inner thigh and hamstring near the saddle. To top it off, my left testicle sometimes gets forced inside and my jimmy gets cold but not numb. These sensations all occur at moderate temperatures. I am 160 lbs, 6 foot, and ride a Cannondale.

My guess is this is a combination of fit and circulation. Anyone experience a similar situation and solve the problems?
I am experiencing a similar thing in my right leg with the outside of my foot and also the inner thigh tingleing. It is to do with bike i am sure. I am going for a proper bike fitting on Friday afternoon and have a load of questions lined up so i will see if i can find out what causes it and get back to you. It may not be the same thing but it might be somewhere for you start.

leegregory said:
I am experiencing a similar thing in my right leg with the outside of my foot and also the inner thigh tingleing. It is to do with bike i am sure. I am going for a proper bike fitting on Friday afternoon and have a load of questions lined up so i will see if i can find out what causes it and get back to you. It may not be the same thing but it might be somewhere for you start.
Thanks for the reply. I planned to get a professional fit with the Serotta Size Cycle but its $100. I'd be very interested in your results.

tdxloki said:
Thanks for the reply. I planned to get a professional fit with the Serotta Size Cycle but its $100. I'd be very interested in your results.
Ok, where to start. My position on the bike was completely wrong. My saddle was too low, my handlebars were too low and not far enough forward.

One of the major problems i had was lower back pain and numbing on the outside of the foot.

The lower back pain was caused by the handle bars being too close, i was too scrunched up and needed to a little more stretched out with a slightly flatter back.

The numbing of the feet was caused by the saddle being too low, what was happening was when my leg was approaching the top of the stroke it was being forced outward because i was too low, when the knee was moving outwards it was putting pressure on the outside of the foot on the downward stroke.

Another consequence of this was my pedaling motion was not rounded but rather had a "flat spot" at the top of each stroke, this meant that i was not getting all of the power down on each stroke.

Having adopted this new position i tried it out today on a three hour ride (bit of a mistake as i have been off the bike all week) which involved a 4 mile climb, and i must say it was strange to get used to at first because it was so different but after 2 hours i would normally start getting back pain and have to start moving around in the saddle to compensate. But i have to report that i felt so comfortable if my legs would have carried me i would have carried on.

The only thing i can say is that i was very scepticle before i went out on the bike because the position was so radically different but having rideden it i can honestly say it has been the best £25 i have spent on my bike. Now i can start really training.

Good luck with your bike and i hope this helps you in some way.