Leg Cramps - HELP !!!!

Dogfighting

Guest
Hello,

I have cycled for many years without leg cramps, but now I am getting
them fairly bad.

Is there a webpage around that outlines a plan of action to deal with
this problem ?

stretching and good hydration always helped me

news:[email protected]...

Dogfighting <[email protected]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have cycled for many years without leg cramps, but now I am getting
> them fairly bad.
>
> Is there a webpage around that outlines a plan of action to deal with
> this problem ?

I used to wake up at night literally screaming in pain

Go to Hammernutriton.com, click on "electrolytes" and follow the
links, including their rather scholarly articles and papers. THen
order their endurolytes. I happen to live about a mile from the
place, but started using their products when I lived 2,000 miles away.
I have no affiliation.

Bill Westphal

Leg cramps are a fairly common but poorly understood condition that
could be caused by any number of things, including electrolyte
imbalances and dehydration. I would not recommend jumping the gun and
buying all sorts of products claiming to fix them. You should first
look at your training load, your hydration status and your diet. If
the cramps are occuring during rides, try drinking some tonic water;
the quinine in it is a mild relaxant and has been successful for
nearly every client I've had who suffered from race cramps. If the
cramps are post ride, consider stretching and massage. While tight
muscles are not a cause of cramping, stretching can help relax muscles
after training.

Good Luck,
Chris Harnish, M.S.
Exercise Physiologist and Coach

On May 4, 1:33 am, Bill Westphal <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dogfighting <[email protected]> writes:
> > Hello,

> > I have cycled for many years without leg cramps, but now I am getting
> > them fairly bad.

> > Is there a webpage around that outlines a plan of action to deal with
> > this problem ?

> > --

> I used to wake up at night literally screaming in pain
>
> Go to Hammernutriton.com, click on "electrolytes" and follow the
> links, including their rather scholarly articles and papers. THen
> order their endurolytes. I happen to live about a mile from the
> place, but started using their products when I lived 2,000 miles away.
> I have no affiliation.
>
> Bill Westphal

In article <[email protected]>,
Dogfighting <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have cycled for many years without leg cramps, but now I am getting
> them fairly bad.
>
> Is there a webpage around that outlines a plan of action to deal with
> this problem ?

Well, my first advice is to simply try eating some Tums during or at the
end of your rides. Seriously- the calcium seems to relieve leg cramps.
I did a 217 km brevet yesterday in 25-35 mph winds (it was a sloooow
ride) and made a point of drinking some milk at most of the rest stops
and eating a few Tums, as well as eating four bananas and some salty
almonds to try to prevent potassium and sodium depletion, and had zero
leg cramps during or after the ride. No cramps or muscle spasms last
night while sleeping. And no muscle pain today, either; my legs just
feel a little tired. If it weren't for the 25-30 mph winds continuing
today I'd go for a recovery ride.

My second advice is to talk to your doctor and make sure you don't have
circulatory issues in your legs aren't taking a medication that can
cause muscle cramps, etc. Google "claudication." I have read that
cyclists are prone to developing stenosis of the femoral arteries around
the pelvis, although I have seen no critical literature to support that
contention.

> Leg cramps are a fairly common but poorly understood condition that
> could be caused by any number of things, including electrolyte
> imbalances and dehydration. I would not recommend jumping the gun
> and buying all sorts of products claiming to fix them.

Good advice.

> You should first look at your training load, your hydration status
> and your diet. If the cramps are occuring during rides, try drinking
> some tonic water; the quinine in it is a mild relaxant and has been
> successful for nearly every client I've had who suffered from race
> cramps.

Huh. I'd have never thought of that, even though I know that quinine is
often prescribed for people who have trouble with leg cramps at night.
I didn't connect those two dots. Hmmm, post-ride gin and tonics, anyone?

> If the cramps are post ride, consider stretching and massage. While
> tight muscles are not a cause of cramping, stretching can help relax
> muscles after training.

I find a soak in the tub seems to help my muscles recover faster.

Dogfighting wrote:

> I have cycled for many years without leg cramps, but now I am getting
> them fairly bad.

Often this is caused by dehydration---> drink more water.

Derk