leg cramps only on the right side . . .

Rodney Dunning

Guest
I have an indoor training and one of the Spinnervals DVDs (Suffer-o-
Rama). I get a leg cramp nearly every workout with this DVD, which I
suppose means I'm not hydrating properly given the intensity level.

I only get cramps in my right leg--in the calf muscle; never in my
left leg. Does this mean anything? Do I have some mechanical problem
with my pedal stroke? Or is it common to experience cramps only on
the right (or left) side?

The few times I've cramped up on an outdoor ride (< 5 times / year),
it's also on the right side.

Thanks for any help.

--
Rodney Dunning

On Jan 24, 8:23 pm, Rodney Dunning <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have an indoor training and one of the Spinnervals DVDs (Suffer-o-
> Rama). I get a leg cramp nearly every workout with this DVD, which I
> suppose means I'm not hydrating properly given the intensity level.
>
> I only get cramps in my right leg--in the calf muscle; never in my
> left leg. Does this mean anything? Do I have some mechanical problem
> with my pedal stroke? Or is it common to experience cramps only on
> the right (or left) side?
>
> The few times I've cramped up on an outdoor ride (< 5 times / year),
> it's also on the right side.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> --
> Rodney Dunning

I would suspect your right leg is shorter than your left left. Get
fitted. Might need to adjust a cleat or get an insole in one shoe.

In article <[email protected]>,
Rodney Dunning <[email protected]> writes:
> I have an indoor training and one of the Spinnervals DVDs (Suffer-o-
> Rama). I get a leg cramp nearly every workout with this DVD, which I
> suppose means I'm not hydrating properly given the intensity level.

Not necessarily.

Some folks have it that leg cramps are the result of
certain mineral deficiencies (potassium, magnesium, &c.)

I've found that plain ol' fatigue is conducive to 'em.
Not just the simple tiredness from pushing real hard,
but from being really run-down and burnt-out.

That said, my own experience of leg cramps has diminished
quite significantly since my maintaining a regimen of
multi-vitamins.

> I only get cramps in my right leg--in the calf muscle; never in my
> left leg. Does this mean anything? Do I have some mechanical problem
> with my pedal stroke? Or is it common to experience cramps only on
> the right (or left) side?

Perhaps it's simply that the more dexterous side
is more likely to suffer cramps? I don't know.

Since my own leg cramps tend mostly to be nocturnal,
I also wonder if they might be symptomatic of
sleep apnia.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

I have one leg that used to cramp more than the other due to buggered veins (DVD). I'd get cramp on and off the bike and sometimes wake up in agony as the cramp 'grabbed" my calf while I was asleep. I read here, or another forum, that magnesium supplement may help. It works! Two years since my last cramp. :D

Cramps in the calf is usually indicative of the saddle being to high,
hyperextending the leg. Since it's only in your RIGHT leg, I suspect the
problem may be a resuld of differing leg length. It's not uncommon. Have
someone help measure the length of each leg, heel to crotch.

There are orthopedic devices you can stick in your shoe to make up for
the difference in leg length, if that is the problem

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use: