Leg Exercises for an elderly man

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Brian Link, Apr 15, 2006.

  1. Brian Link

    Brian Link Guest

    My dad had a stroke a year ago. He's gone from being bedridden, to
    transitioning from sitting to standing, to getting in and out of a
    wheelchair, to using a walker. He's extremely determined, and despite
    the stroke, is from very hardy stock.

    He can't do wall-squats. Any ideas on how he can improve his quad/ham
    strength? I think if he could strengthen these muscles, he might
    actually be able to eventually toss the walker altogether.

    Thanks

    BLink
    --------------------------
    "The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"

    Tags:

  2. Curt James

    Curt James Guest

    On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 13:54:00 +0800, spodosaurus
    <[email protected]_yahoo_.com> wrote:

    [...]

    >Ari
    >

    >spammage trappage: remove the underscores to reply
    >
    >I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my

    How much sooner?

    I mean, can't everyone say the same?

    >neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. Complications in
    >hospital following this resulted in a serious illness. I now need a bone
    >marrow transplant. Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow
    >transplant, too. Please volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    >http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    >http://www.marrow.org/

    Here's hoping you enjoy the life you have.

    --
    Curt
    http://curtjames.com/

  3. WillBrink

    WillBrink Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Brian Link <[email protected]> wrote:

    > My dad had a stroke a year ago. He's gone from being bedridden, to
    > transitioning from sitting to standing, to getting in and out of a
    > wheelchair, to using a walker. He's extremely determined, and despite
    > the stroke, is from very hardy stock.
    >
    > He can't do wall-squats. Any ideas on how he can improve his quad/ham
    > strength? I think if he could strengthen these muscles, he might
    > actually be able to eventually toss the walker altogether.

    No rehab after his stroke? Find a good rehab center and send him there.

    --
    Will Brink @ http://www.brinkzone.com/

  4. If they are very weak he could use a resistance band while laying in
    bed. Bending and straightening the leg.

    He should be seeing a physical therapist, if only once a month , to
    make sure he is doing the right things. A lot of stroke rehab is in
    balance and coordination rather than strength.